• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Time to Change/Open Up

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Again more stuff I missed when ill. There is a long previous thread discussing the problems and shortcomings of the Time to Change campaign (http://www.mentalhealthforum.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2398) and I'll try not to go back over what I and others said too much!

Anyway since then there has been the TV ad (which I imagine was discussed here somewhere - if anyone hasn't seen it you can access it via Time to Change's web-site at http://www.time-to-change.org.uk/what-were-doing) - the ad is striking certainly but what is its point? The Time to Change web-site seems to me to be mostly about promoting Time to Change - a rather circular process ;). Where is the political bite?

It could be objected that the actual projects are actually being run under Open Up (which is a part of Time to Change - and why we need more names mystifies me!!!). I see QF posted one mail she had from them (thanks QF :)). I have had a couple which list various local and small-scale events. It is definitely worth being on this mailing-list (which you can access via the Time to Change website as above) if you are interested in any events they might run in your area. I'll post the last e-newsletter I had to give an example of what they are doing....

>>Shadows and Rainbows Anti-Stigma Workshop - North West England
Shadows & Rainbows, an Open Up Initiative, presents courses, seminars and support individually designed for your needs. The Art4AllStigma Project, one of our North West Initiatives, is running a series of small, friendly group Workshops. They will be led by an ex-mental health service user and assisted by health care professionals, using art and creative writing as a tool to help people with experience of mental distress to develop and grow. Services are provided free of charge, refreshments are available.

If you are:

Interested in challenging mental health discrimination
Based in or near Preston, Lancashire, Interested in personal growth and/or making art
Suffering from long term mental health conditions or making the transition
From an Asian or Black Minorities or white community group...
This workshop could be for you. Only 12 places available per project - book early to avoid disappointment.

Contact 07951 882282 or email [email protected] for an application and referral form.

In partnership with Preston Muslim Forum

London: EKTA Meeting, Tuesday 24th February
EKTA, the South Asian Service User Group supported by Open Up, will be exploring physical and mental Health at their next meeting on Tuesday 24th February from 1pm to 4pm.

Featuring a short documentary film screening: “ Matters of the Heart ” (Dil Ki Baatein) followed by discussion and a Short Presentation on “People Like Us” campaign by Dr Natalie Tobert.

Harrow Baptist Church (Opposite main Post Office/next to Barclays Bank) College Rd, Harrow HA1 1BA. Vegetarian Lunch & Refreshments provided

If you are interested in coming please register your name with : Asha Khandkes on 020 8866 0295 or e-mail : the [email protected]

IN PARTNERSHIP WITH HARROW PCT, CNWL MENTAL HEALTH NHS TRUST & Mind in Harrow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other News - National

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Project H Design
Open Up has recently been introduced to global non-profit Project H Design, a coalition of designers who use their skills and creative consulting to address local social issues for individual and community empowerment. The London team is focusing on mental health; if anyone would like to get involved in the collaboration or discuss potential projects, please e-mail co-head Ian Crawford at [email protected] with a little information about yourself or your organisation.
Take to Art
Take to Art, is an exhibition of ground-breaking artwork created by patients at Ashworth Hospital, one of only three high secure hospitals in the country. It is a collaborative partnership between Mersey Care’s High Secure Service and Together: Working for Wellbeing's advocacy service based at Ashworth Hospital.

This is the first time Together has hosted an exhibition of artwork from a high secure hospital and the artwork displayed has seldom been seen outside the hospital itself. The artwork, created over a five-year period, gives an insight into the creativity and skills achieved by a group of people with severe and enduring, complex mental health needs. The exhibition highlights the benefits of art therapy as a means of contributing to the rehabilitation of individuals in secure settings and is an opportunity to understand more about how art features in a wide range of activities provided by forward-looking rehabilitation services.

Hosted at Together's Our Space Gallery at Together's National Office: 12 Old Street, London, EC1V 9BE. 6th March - 6th April '09 opening hours: 9am - 5pm, Monday to Friday and 12 noon - 3pm on Saturday 7th & 14th March and Sunday 8th & 15th March. Free Entry

Words for Wellbeing
Survivors’ Poetry and Together: Working for Wellbeing are hosting an evening of readings by leading poets concerned with wellbeing, mental health and happiness.

Featuring Sarah Wardle, Richard Copeland, Marjorie Holmes, Phil Ruthen, Harriet Thistlethwaite, Christina Viti, Rogan Wolf and Zoompad. Monday 9th March at: Foyles bookshop, 113-119 Charing Cross Road, London WC2H 0EB.

Tube: Tottenham Court Road. 5.45pm for 6pm until 8.30pm £10 entry on the door £5 students and people in receipt of benefits Proceeds to support the work of Together and Survivors’ Poetry.<<

Now some of this is very worthy but it is at absolutely the opposite extreme to the grand national gestures of Time to Change. Some of these events could be very useful for the limited number of participants and that is good. Maybe there will be more as the thing develops.

So I suppose I am giving a sort of very limited half-thumbs up to Open to Change, but I remain utterly unconvinced by Time to Change. An anti-stigma ad is fine but the aim must be to campaign for the resources which would make a real difference. It remains too glossy, too professional; removed from the world in which the vast majority of us live. But this was just meant to be an update not a rant :).

Nick.

O

Op.cit

Hello Nick,

This paper may interest you if you have not seen it.

Countering the stigmatization and discrimination of people with mental health problems in Europe.

http://ec.europa.eu/health/ph_determinants/life_style/mental/docs/stigma_paper_en.pdf

Below is a quotation from the report.

It is critical that resources are allocated to interventions that have been properly evaluated: unfortunately however as some commentators have noted “some confusing and poorly drafted initiatives – expensive, heavily promoted, but lacking any firm evidence base – have been implemented over the last years”

Regards,
Op.cit

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
No I hadn't seen it - many thanks for the link op.cit. I haven't read it all yet ! but it looks very interesting.

Nick.

M

maudikie

To nick

I think the Mental Health Act should be taken in concert with the Mental Capacity act, and when a person is well enough to make a rational decision, state in writing if there are any treatments they do not wish to have. If it is a life saving condition they are in, this can be overridden by (Ithink) two doctors.

Last edited by a moderator: