• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

thyroid/cholesterol/depression linked?

M

Michael

Founding Member
I've been looking up on some the American medical sites and they are saying that there is a direct link between thyroid malfunction and having raised cholesterol and depression!
I currently am on 159micro grammes a day of thyroxin a day, my last test said my cholesterol was raised and required my cholesterol tablets to be doubled to 40mg a day. I have over the last few months had a lot of up and down days and I can't help but wonder if that is the 'base' thing that is wrong with me ie thyroid not working and that the depression and cholesterol are just the side effects of the thyroid not working?

http://disease.holplus.com/blog/D/Faulty-Thyroid-Causes-Depression.html

The above is just one of the links to sites which seem to say that.

How do you broach the subject with a doctor? without sounding like I am a hyperchondriac?

Michael

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
I have no idea Michael - if you find out can you let me know?! I have been thinking about thyroid problems for various reasons but I'm sure my GP thinks I am a hypochondriac already so don't want to confirm it to him! If I do bring it up I will let you know how I get on (seeing him next week).

Rollinat

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Yes, I'd heard that there was a thyroid / depression link and have had the blood tests to rule this out. Through the blood tests I was found to be B12 deficient, something else that can lead to depression (initially through increased fatigue) so now I have to have B12 injections every 12 weeks. Can't say I've noticed a difference though!

D

Dollit

The thing about those blog type websites is that they have a drum to bang and they're banging it loudly. There can be correlations between hypothyroidism/depression and very occasionally cholesterol levels but unless you have other symptoms of hypothyroidism you may not even be offered a blood test as testing comes from your doctors budget.

If you're being treated for hypothyroidism and your depression and it's pattern hasn't changed then logically thinking perhaps it's not your thyroid?

G

GtrFan385

I am getting my Master's in Mental Health Counseling so I have learned a little bit about this. Depression can be caused by environmental factors or by a chemical imbalance. In some cases there is actually a medical condition that causes the depression and once the medical condition is treated the depression is treated as well. The thyroid is a gland that is responsible for releasing hormones. When someone has an overactive or underactive thyroid, the hormones in your body get thrown off and it is very common to have depressive symptoms, sleeping problems, and weight fluctuation. I have two friends who both were experiencing depression and one had to drop out of school. It turns out that after taking antidepressants and having an adverse reaction the doctor administered a test that revealed thyroid problems. You should talk to your physician and rule out other medical complications that could be causing your depression. Don't give up, keep investigating.....a lot of the times the medication takes a few months so if you haven't seen improvement yet you may need a different dose, different med, or it might just take some time.

Q

quality factor

lithium induced hypothyroidism

Hi,

Just out of interest, I had been on Lithium for severe depression, mood swings , for 14 years and brought off it 6 months ago.Within a couple of years of taking Lithium I developed an under active thyroid and was put on Thyroxine. After about 3 months being off the Lithium my under active thyroid settled down and now its three less tabs to take !