• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

Thunderstorms scare me so much I get a panic attack does anyone else feel this way

C

Carol1952

I absolutely freak out whenever I know that a thunderstorm is coming.I have to pull my blanket up to my face.The loud noise frightens me and if there is wind to it scares me even more.They are saying server storms for tomorrow night of all times.I get nervous every time we lose power.Yes I do have a generator but one time it didn't work.It has been extremely hot.Frankly I am scared.I try to pretend the thunder and lightening are fireworks but it just doesnt work for me.

mareedee

mareedee

That stinks! My dad was the same way. he was wartime PTSD though. Have you tried guided meditation? You can find it on youtube. grab some headphones and when the storm and/or anxiety comes one. give it a listen!

C

Carol1952

That stinks! My dad was the same way. he was wartime PTSD though. Have you tried guided meditation? You can find it on youtube. grab some headphones and when the storm and/or anxiety comes one. give it a listen!
Thank you.I usually shut off the tv and put my radio on now thye are saying up towards the west of us they always get it.One time Litchfield had a tornato ugh.i got no place to go if that happens then again nobody does here I live in elderly housing

Z

Zomboss

There is a thunderstorm here at the moment.
Everyone has been waiting for it because they are hoping that it will cool the air down a little.
Do you know what it is about a storm that worries you the most?
The headphones Idea sounds like a good one, even if you do not want to meditate you could try listening to a piece of your favourite music...

My grandad used to say Thunder was God dropping his Piano down the stairs...

Lunar Lady

Lunar Lady

Everyone has been waiting for it because they are hoping that it will cool the air down a little.
The headphones Idea sounds like a good one, even if you do not want to meditate you could try listening to a piece of your favourite music...

That's cheered me up - I'm in the same part of the world as you. Not even a rumble or drop of rain yet.

C

Carol1952

Well power going out and not coming back on our generator failed us once already,fire hitting my apt.JUst the loud noise and the lightening itself upsets me.I always said God and his angels were bowling lol Well it does kind of sound that way,U wont believe what happened to me tonight .I lost the sound on my tv again.I have an old comcast silver remote i replaced the batteries thank god it worked i dont know why it does this ,the sound going out ,this is like the 4th time it has happened Comcast sucks anyway.It is annoying because the sound will work for my dvd player but I dont feel like watching movies right now. I ma so glad it is back on.This always seems to happen at night too.

Lunar Lady

Lunar Lady

@Carol1952: I'm sat here with my fingers crossed for a promised storm - I love them. Wouldn't it be wonderful if your storm came my way instead!

Sorry you've had such a bad experience of lightning. I can't think of anything other than ear phones and masking the noise with some calming music. :hug:

Z

Zomboss

Well power going out and not coming back on our generator failed us once already,fire hitting my apt.JUst the loud noise and the lightening itself upsets me.I always said God and his angels were bowling lol Well it does kind of sound that way,U wont believe what happened to me tonight .I lost the sound on my tv again.I have an old comcast silver remote i replaced the batteries thank god it worked i dont know why it does this ,the sound going out ,this is like the 4th time it has happened Comcast sucks anyway.It is annoying because the sound will work for my dvd player but I dont feel like watching movies right now. I ma so glad it is back on.This always seems to happen at night too.
Typical! To lose sound right at the time when you need to make as much noise as you can to drown out the thunder!! I am glad you got it working again!

Z x

C

Carol1952

@Carol1952: I'm sat here with my fingers crossed for a promised storm - I love them. Wouldn't it be wonderful if your storm came my way instead!

Sorry you've had such a bad experience of lightning. I can't think of anything other than ear phones and masking the noise with some calming music. :hug:
If you want it you are more welcome to it,now they say a chance.You know when my husband was alive we use to sit in our enclosed porch and watch them I wasnt scared then it was not until a couple of years ago I started to get like this.I dont know why.

C

Carol1952

Typical! To lose sound right at the time when you need to make as much noise as you can to drown out the thunder!! I am glad you got it working again!

Z x
Me to the crazy thing is i have to use my old remote in order to get it on.i just put batteries in it works.however i cannot do anything else with it makes no sense to me,

N

natalie

Hi Carol 1952,

I also hadn't liked Thunder very much. Years ago, we had a bout, overnight and I felt whatcould I do, ah, I'll put o nmy walkman, and listening to easy music. Well, it worked, it drowned out the thunder that soon went, and i could then resume retiring for the night.

Best regards, Off course it might not hapen.

Natalie,

London UK.

C

Carol1952

Hi Carol 1952,

I also hadn't liked Thunder very much. Years ago, we had a bout, overnight and I felt whatcould I do, ah, I'll put o nmy walkman, and listening to easy music. Well, it worked, it drowned out the thunder that soon went, and i could then resume retiring for the night.

Natalie,

London UK.
I am freaking out they issued a watch but it could also get 60 mph winds it better not come i am so worked up now they say a warning oh boy you know half of the time the storms never hit us but yet i better shut up.

C

Carol1952

I am freaking out they issued a watch but it could also get 60 mph winds it better not come i am so worked up now they say a warning oh boy you know half of the time the storms never hit us but yet i better shut up.
Hi Carol 1952,

Natalie,

London UK.
We had a thunderstorm ugh but i just turned off the tv put on the radio and prayed like hell. I was doing some knitting to,it wasnt to bad .we had that sheet lightning .that isnt as dangrerous as the lightning strikes they look like veins to me,

Lunar Lady

Lunar Lady

We had a thunderstorm ugh but i just turned off the tv put on the radio and prayed like hell. I was doing some knitting to,it wasnt to bad .we had that sheet lightning .that isnt as dangrerous as the lightning strikes they look like veins to me,
Well done for getting through it :hug: Hopefully, it should be a while before another storm comes through. Was the storm over night?

C

Carol1952

Well done for getting through it :hug: Hopefully, it should be a while before another storm comes through. Was the storm over night?
It hit of course when it was dark just before nine but we are suppose to get another one today they say about 11am ugh enough of the storms already u know i never heard it rain