• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

three person babys

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
at the moment it's replacing mitochondria to stop illness but how long before it becomes replacing chromosomes that carry certain illnesses or replacing certain genes on those chromosomes

It's just what makes me me and would i be me with a chromosome replaced

My lesbian friend said if they had found a gene for been gay and i'd been aborted i might object to it now but if i'd have been aborted there would have been no me to object

And if they'd found a gene for schitzoprenia and say my mother a strict catholic had refused to abort, it'd be on my records since a baby, what point educating me to uni level when that clock was ticking to crisis at 19 better to educate me to process benefit forms and independent living skills as i'd never marry, in some ways that might be better

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Sorry to make this comparison so early in the thread - but I find this concerning.
Arian race, anyone?

This aint right. :naughty:

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Sorry to make this comparison so early in the thread - but I find this concerning.
Arian race, anyone?

This aint right. :naughty:
i get annoyed when people compare things to nazi germany and fascism, there was equally similar things in say stalins communism

Yes maybe my drugs aren't just treatment but an element of social control, tackleing poverty etc with meds may be questionable but would i rather have it tackled by prison and the crminal justice system, thers not much sympathy in this society if a schitzoprenic acts certain ways

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

There are some genetically transmitted conditions (those that involve a shortened lifespan and dibilitating physical problems) that are just so awful I would support any measures that enabled people to avoid conceiving a child afflicted with them but yes...it is scary.

pepecat

pepecat

To me, this (and other debates about idenitfying genes and chromosomes) say more about society's willingess (or not) to deal with disability and other similar issues. I"m sure its awful to have to deal with a disabled child, and probably lots of parents would, if they could have, given their kids a way better life without pain and suffering - and that is perfectly reasonable and understandable. But all this does make me wonder that if society was more willing to treat disabled people as people and integrate them and care more fully for them rather than sweep it under the carpet and make it all disappear, then these debates wouldn't be do contraversial.
What they do do though, I think, is make us ask uncomfortable questions about ourselves - on two levels. Firstly is the 'easier' one - we have the scientific knowledge and technology to elminate diseases and conditions or to alter genetic make-ups...... should we?
That's where we're at at the moment with these things.
The second level is more of the 'why' are we doing these things. Because we can? Because we genuinely want to alleviate suffering and pain, or because it's more convenient for us not to have to deal with illnesses and conditions?