• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Thoughts on telling people you have Bipolar instead of BPD?

C

cranialdamage

both those songs have something in them like a certain feeling kind of sad

C

cranialdamage

specially the harmonica on he aint heavy makes me feel so lonely

C

cranialdamage

yes had to google poignant just learned a new word Thanks!:thanks:

C

cranialdamage

I imagine a certain kind of old man playing that harmonica on his porch in the wilderness maybe the Rocky Mountains

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

I imagine a certain kind of old man playing that harmonica on his porch in the wilderness maybe the Rocky Mountains
Poignant to me means...meaningfully touching.

The actual definition says "evoking a keen sense of sadness and regret" but that can also be positive in terms of being moved.

Until

Until

i don't tell acquaintances, work colleagues or most people, they don't understand, likely have little knowledge of it and will judge you for it, you tell someone you are a borderline personality, it conjures up in their minds a crazy person and they could avoid you for it, not wanting to be involved. Sad but true.

JohnBanjo

JohnBanjo

Yeah, I agree don't tell them.

Neurotypicals don't understand jack shit about the hell we go through.
And what's more: they are judgemental.

Most of the time they project a feeling that you are a weirdo or unstable or incompetent onto you, due to their own highly repressed mental issues and lack of empathy.

Open up about it even to those who are supposedly in caring roles and you'll one day get thrown under the bus for it.
Source: a lot of bitter experience with a range of people.
'Neurotypicals don't understand jack shit about the hell we go through.
And what's more: they are judgemental.'
All neurotypicals? That's one hell of a generalisation. If you want neurotypicals to understand you better, generalising them all as judgmental people who know jack shit probably isn't the best starting point.

D

dewey

'Neurotypicals don't understand jack shit about the hell we go through.
And what's more: they are judgemental.'
All neurotypicals? That's one hell of a generalisation. If you want neurotypicals to understand you better, generalising them all as judgmental people who know jack shit probably isn't the best starting point.
Speaking from my experience of them in the workplace

JohnBanjo

JohnBanjo

Speaking from my experience of them in the workplace
I understand that. I guess my point is that, when I talk about pwBPD, I try to make clear that I'm speaking about the pwBPDs I have known and not all pwBPDs. Generalisations can be demeaning.

B

BlueWater

I rarely share unless it's to correct someone I know well. I have some BPD traits, but they're all muddled with OCD so they're hard to distinguish. None of my health problems - physical or psychological - are anyone's business. I do correct some people sometimes though when they erroneously assume OCD is a cleaning/organizing disorder.

Regarding substituting bipolar for BPD, I wouldn't. It is a disorder that's more well known but it also comes with many negative assumptions. If someone asks you what your mania/hypomania is like, then you have to concoct another lie. If it's someone compassionate who knows you well and is sincerely interested then perhaps share your burden. I'd be hesitant though as that's what a therapist and an MD really are best equipped for. It could be enough to say to others that you see a therapist because you have things you need to talk about or again say nothing at all. In the end, I think this burden you carry is just as misunderstood by the general public as SZ, OCD, depression, anxiety, schizoaffective, abuse and so on. Unfortunately, BPD just isn't heard of much kind of like all the other personality disorders. I share little because sharing too much and then hearing insensitive remarks hurts too much.

W

WhySoSerious

Depends if you mind lying. If you don't then fine. If you do then I'd avoid it!