• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Thoughts and help on dating?!?!

S

sarah83

Hi Guys and Gals,
I was wondering if i could have anyone's thoughts or experiences with online dating. I am signed up to 2 different ones and i have chatted to several guys but its never come to nothing.
I know its my mental health that is playing a massive part with social anxiety, and worrying about the meeting up stage. I just want to be able to get to know someone before meeting up.
Would you suggest that when i talk to a guy that i am up front about my mental health. i just don't want to scare anyone off.
I read a study that 74% of people would not start a relationship with someone with mental health problems which has kind of put a doubt on me ever having a relationship ever again.

Any help would be really helpful and gladly received.
Much love to you all.

D

Dooley

Hi,
I think it is best to always be honest with people. Online dating is risky as you don't know who you are talking to really as they could be lying. However there are genuine people on there too. I would suggest you be upfront with them. If they are genuine then they will understand and take it from there.
I might met my wife online.

S

sarah83

Hi,
I think it is best to always be honest with people. Online dating is risky as you don't know who you are talking to really as they could be lying. However there are genuine people on there too. I would suggest you be upfront with them. If they are genuine then they will understand and take it from there.
I might met my wife online.

Hey Dooley, Thanks for the advice. I want to be honest and upfront but a lot of people are still scared off by mental health and has still got a big stigma around it.
Like you say if they are genuine they will understand, if not they dont they are clearly not the one for me.
How lovely that you meet your wife online, prove that there are success stories.

D

Dooley

Hey Dooley, Thanks for the advice. I want to be honest and upfront but a lot of people are still scared off by mental health and has still got a big stigma around it.
Like you say if they are genuine they will understand, if not they dont they are clearly not the one for me.
How lovely that you meet your wife online, prove that there are success stories.
It wasn't a dating agency or online dating. I met her on one of the penpal, E-pal sites. I was chatting to loads from all over the world but only one of them was enjoying chatting to me and having a laugh with, so much so that we were chatting 10 hours a day, didn't really get much sleep either because i was working as a mobile cleaner at the time. But all turned out to be good in the end.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
R Needing help with controlling thoughts. Mental Health Experiences 19
C Toxic thoughts stemmed from my own insecurities Mental Health Experiences 3
J Thoughts about my funeral Mental Health Experiences 2
Mr Oreo Bunny Intrusive thoughts causing little movements. Advice? Mental Health Experiences 2
S Making jokes of intrusive thoughts Mental Health Experiences 19
R Thought life would be easier, intrusive thoughts Mental Health Experiences 2
Weeewooow beep Whirlpool thoughts Mental Health Experiences 1
wraziel pokemon intrusive thoughts are scaring me Mental Health Experiences 3
M I keep having thoughts about running away and going missing Mental Health Experiences 5
L Having intrusive thoughts again Mental Health Experiences 2
T Habit of hiding emotion and negative thoughts from others does not go away Mental Health Experiences 8
Y Intrusive thoughts Mental Health Experiences 11
blog15 thoughts can be an advantage. Mental Health Experiences 2
C Dark thoughts Mental Health Experiences 4
reb_kbold Violent Thoughts Mental Health Experiences 5
D Having obsessive thoughts about having to leave psychotherapy Mental Health Experiences 3
T Suicidal thoughts almost every day Mental Health Experiences 6
G weird intrusive thoughts Mental Health Experiences 2
A My thoughts are running Amok and scaring me Mental Health Experiences 2
K Intrusive Thoughts combined with Hyper - Vigilance , OCD, PTSD & ‘other’ Combinations Mental Health Experiences 2
kimidare How to help my brother Mental Health Experiences 8
D Disability Law Service: No Help For Autistic Person Mental Health Experiences 1
N I am really depressed & don't want to live. My parents have disabled certain websites from my laptop based on keywor. So, i can't easily access help. Mental Health Experiences 7
J Would I be get reported if I confide this horrible act of mine to my therapist? Please Help!!! Mental Health Experiences 5
F New here, can anyone help with a childhood experience? Thank you Mental Health Experiences 25
Ineedhelp2921 This might help Mental Health Experiences 1
R Help for an 'all or nothing' mentality Mental Health Experiences 1
M HELP! I can’t stop shaking and can’t sleep Mental Health Experiences 2
S Help me understand him Mental Health Experiences 1
Naturelove7 I'm in a dilemma. Help! Mental Health Experiences 6
G HELP. How can I overcome emotional numbness and anhedonia? Mental Health Experiences 3
7 How can I help my friends with depression? Mental Health Experiences 5
L Im in need of some help. Mental Health Experiences 10
A Need help dealing with my mother Mental Health Experiences 3
Soladwor The more I live, the more I realize that not many strangers want to help me get out of this mental rut. Mental Health Experiences 1
C Please help - questions about my brother Mental Health Experiences 9
T Unbelievably bad service /trigger warning/signs/not getting help Mental Health Experiences 58
GhostOfLenin Help for ozzys Mental Health Experiences 1
C My first time here, talking about childhood experiences. Please help Mental Health Experiences 6
K Maybe I can help Mental Health Experiences 1
Memememememememe Help what's wrong with me?! Mental Health Experiences 9
T Triggered... feeling impulsive .. help Mental Health Experiences 8
S Plz help Mental Health Experiences 6
L Need help possable neurological disorder... Mental Health Experiences 1
A Where to find help Mental Health Experiences 5
Amber1964 Need help please Mental Health Experiences 6
S My experience (just thought sharing might help me) Mental Health Experiences 4
R Help understanding Mental Health Experiences 8
M Can anyone help? Mental Health Experiences 3
R I have been humiliated multiple times during the times that I needed help most. Ever since then I hate human beings as a whole and I can’t forgive. Mental Health Experiences 14