• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

Thoughts about food

N

nickwinters

I don't want to go back too far because that would require too much detail and too much text which probably no one would like to read.
The short summary is: I struggle with negative thoughts and feelings towards food. My usual eating habits revolve around me barely eating during the day and then eating too much in the evening - as a subconscious effort to make up for it, I assume.
Recently I've been trying to improve my eating habits but that only makes it worse. The more conscious I am of what I eat, the more it freaks me out.
And I'm scared that eating regularly would cause me to gain weight. I'm at the low end of normal weight and I need to stay there.
I honestly have no idea how to fight these thoughts.

calypso

calypso

Admin
Hiya. Its a major problem isn't it? I don't know if it would help or not, but have you heard of Mindfulness? You can research it on the internet for more information. I only mention it as it might help with your thoughts and how you feel. We have a brief intro on here which might be of help to give you a taster of what its like.

N

nickwinters

Hi calypso, thanks for the suggestion! I read the intro but I'm not sure if I understood it correctly or if it would be useful in stopping these specific thoughts and feelings about food. In general, especially regarding negative thoughts like when you're thinking negatively about yourself, I can imagine that exercise to be very helpful. In regards to food though I think I would struggle.
It says I should do it with something I enjoy. But I don't enjoy food. When I actively start experiencing food, that's when I start to freak out. Makes no not want to eat anything anymore. So am I supposed to eat something and when the negative thoughts come I do the whole imaginary "throwing the thought away" thing? Until I don't get these thoughts anymore? I'm not sure if I understood it correctly.