• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Thought life would be easier, intrusive thoughts

R

rpcdp

I left a job on a livery yard in September. I normally work with horses, but my new job is in retail due to COVID. It’s actually not that bad and a change is as good as a rest, I suppose.
I left my last job as my boss was a nightmare to deal with and turned verbally and mentally abusive. She reduced me to tears on numerous occasions. My new colleague was also a nightmare to deal with, nothing but a judgemental bully who came into the yard with a game plan. I ended up with functioning alcoholism and gained two stone in weight.
The job I had before that (2018) was also a nightmare. My bosses were verbally and emotionally abusive. I won’t go into detail but I ended up having a breakdown there and again put on weight. My last boss had at least some redeeming qualities and had moments of genuine niceness/care. These people had none - no care for staff or horses or basic morals, no remorse or shame.
I’m now in a secure job with pleasant coworkers and a decent, a fair manager and I’m working in my local town for the first time in years. I feel content with that aspect. Yet any time I have a chance to think or be on my own I get flashbacks or intrusive thoughts of all that happened in 2018. I was left with so much social anxiety and paranoia after that. I feel utterly enraged now when I get these thoughts, I have been getting them for weeks now at any given opportunity, not willingly. I also can’t help but feel the need for justice/revenge.
I’ve been bullied a lot in my life, dealt with a chronic anxiety disorder, OCD and clinical depression. I guess I’m just fed up that even now that I think I should be happy these thoughts keep flooding back. I’m just tired. Just needed a rant.

D

Dispatch

hey rpcdp, did I spell that right ? 😛 anyways, I read your story and had a thought. Now you said you’re happy at your new job, right ? The intrusive thoughts want to steal your happiness, don’t let them. The past is the past and that’s where it belongs. Go to work and be happy, you’re very lucky.

D

Deleted member 91323

I think with what you have been through, it is understandable to have these intrusive memories. You are in a better place now but your mind is still recovering from what has happened.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
blog15 Your thought life effects everything Mental Health Experiences 5
jajingna Fear is faster than thought Mental Health Experiences 9
B Thought Cycling? Mental Health Experiences 3
S Is it gaslighting, or am I just more mental than I thought? Mental Health Experiences 19
J Thought broadcasting Mental Health Experiences 11
S My experience (just thought sharing might help me) Mental Health Experiences 4
K Romance and Joy for life Mental Health Experiences 3
I Life Mental Health Experiences 5
I Why is life the worst? Mental Health Experiences 47
blog15 life is NOT a choice Mental Health Experiences 3
T Life was so good ? Mental Health Experiences 3
Amelia2020 Do some mental illnesses develop later in life? Mental Health Experiences 3
T Life Mental Health Experiences 1
A My path in life right now Mental Health Experiences 1
Solitude1 I hate myself, my life and the situation I'm stuck in Mental Health Experiences 6
H Is it possible for a person unable to work due to mental health to eventually have a successful life and career? Mental Health Experiences 3
Fairy Fountain My life is going nowhere. Mental Health Experiences 6
blog15 Is life advancing? Not so Mental Health Experiences 2
Ineedhelp2921 I hate my life right now Mental Health Experiences 2
soulsearcher Coming to the realisation I'll be on meds for life Mental Health Experiences 23
S A little life advice, if you may share ? Mental Health Experiences 4
C Can’t do life anymore Mental Health Experiences 6
T I HATE MY LIFE ! Mental Health Experiences 21
blog15 retrospective taking over in my life Mental Health Experiences 1
Fairy Fountain I'm worried that life won't get better. Mental Health Experiences 12
blog15 Never view life without others... Mental Health Experiences 1
blog15 The whole meaning of life is better left un explained Mental Health Experiences 6
H i dont appreciate life Mental Health Experiences 3
R Honestly, am I just gonna be hated on and discriminated my whole entire life? Should I just give up on my education right now? Mental Health Experiences 4
F Is there a song that you feel is your life story? Mental Health Experiences 21
R Why is it that anytime somebody wants to end their life they get punished, made to feel even worse and alienated? Mental Health Experiences 14
K I can't enjoy life anymore Mental Health Experiences 2
S So, I screwed my life up. Mental Health Experiences 6
B Do you ever think "this is my life" ? Mental Health Experiences 5
Connorisnotokay A Life of Guilt Mental Health Experiences 13
C I feel so stuck in my life so confused and lonely Mental Health Experiences 6
jajingna I've only hated one person in my life Mental Health Experiences 6
Storm in a Teacup Have you picked up any valuable life lessons through having a mental illness? Mental Health Experiences 23
R I’m afraid I ruined my life permanently and I’m depressed and panicking. Mental Health Experiences 2
H When in your life did you feel most isolated? Mental Health Experiences 12
blog15 Wellness is investing in life. Mental Health Experiences 1
AnnN My life till now Mental Health Experiences 116
sab Story of my life Mental Health Experiences 4
blog15 Life despite> response to illness> Mental Health Experiences 1
B Work / life Struggles Mental Health Experiences 2
L Lost my excitement for life Mental Health Experiences 4
S My dad's behavior caused me to be so nervous in life. Mental Health Experiences 4