• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Thought I'd share this article. Bipolar II: Anger, Angst & Understanding

Mark_01

Mark_01

Thought I'd share this article. Bipolar II: Anger, Angst & Understanding

"A friend who shares my bipolar II diagnosis said something recently that really resonated with me. He commented that “nobody understands people with bipolar II because there’s no high, there’s just anger and angst.”"

This short article, by Candy Czernicki, clearly defines the bipolar experience.

As I have shared several times on this forum, I have had multiple diagnosis and for the past year, my psychiatrist and social worker have settled on bipolar. People don't believe me when I tell them I am bipolar because my public persona is mostly calm, so now I don't say anything. Have learned to internalize my extreme emotions and psychosis. It was only when things got out of control that my problems surfaced. And medications have stabilized me for the most part.

Anyway, I think it is worth a few minutes to read this article.

Reach

Reach

Anger part of bipolar 2? I have to say i don't agree. I don't get angry, and i was told by a CPN once that those who display anger are more likely to be diagnosed with a personality disorder than bipolar 2. I had witnessed a woman having an outburst at my psychiatrist you see, and the CPN was sitting with me at the time and mentioned that. Although i am sure many with personality disorders don't get angry either, i also had from then on accepted that anger wasn't really a part of the picture of bipolar 2, that was just one CPN though and i may be wrong.

Overall i don't like the article and don't think it portrays bipolar 2 very well. I have had only one full blown manic episode last year, before that i was diagnosed bipolar 2 but since then bipolar 1. I don't have any anger issues now either. I know some people when full blown manic are extremely agitated, but not angry.

Reach

Reach

Bipolar 1 mania you are talking about now, bipolar 2 doesn't have mania, it has hypomania.

The psychiatrist once said to me that anger was something only men usually have as a symptom, not women. That was in depression he was talking about, as i was diagnosed with major depression initially and on the list was aggression, my sister said she doesn't get aggressive.

Mark_01

Mark_01

There are a lot of articles that support her position, and I agree with her.

C

Callalily

Former member
There are many that believe depression is anger turned in on oneself.

Reach

Reach

There are a lot of articles that support her position, and I agree with her.

You agree that bipolar2 is basically depression and anger? Depression yes, and SOME people might have anger as a symptom, but i think it is really irresponsible for that website, a website that i often like and read, to define bipolar 2 so simply. It is plainly wrong that anger is 50% of bipolar 2. 5% maybe, but i don't think anyone on here with bipolar 2 would agree with such a limiting explanation of their diagnosis. I certainly wouldn't want any of my friends and family to read that article, they would all think i was either angsty or angry. Actually, they would say Reach if that is bipolar 2, then you don't have it, because i even think angst is not the right word, but anger, being half the illness, a DEFINING word? No way, anger does not define me nor my illness. Maybe your hypomanias are pure anger and that is why you agree with her? I think she is a silly woman and i don't believe she has bipolar 2 if she is reducing it to those two words. Hypomania is not pure anger for most people. I'm really surprised you agree with her. Maybe it is because you are male that you have more anger symptoms?

Reach

Reach

There are many that believe depression is anger turned in on oneself.

Yes i've heard that before. Self-harm is about anger turned inwards too some say. I think it is all personal though, people get depressed/self harm for all sorts of reasons. I just hate any article claiming something to be all this or all that, because i don't think you can define something like mental illness so simply. It isn't simple, it's complex.

Gajolene

Gajolene

The psychiatrist once said to me that anger was something only men usually have as a symptom, not women.

I don't agree with this at all, I have people close to me with bipolar, male and female and anger is an issue for both, The female my best friend for many years was triggered so bad by her husband on a night of them both drinking(a really negative influence in her life IMO, he denies all mental illness and just called people f**cked up, refuses to address issues around recovery) that she knocked out two of his front teeth with her knee. She struggles constantly with her anger or suppresses all of her emotions into a not caring about herself or anybody type senario depending on her cycles. I do believe she is bipolar 1 though, as she had had several manic episodes through the years and is heavily medicated now to cope, she has thyroid issues as well which complicate her bipolar, not sure if that is relevent or not.

Last edited:
Reach

Reach

I don't agree with this at all, I have people close to me with bipolar, male and female and anger is an issue for both, The female my best friend for many years was triggered so bad by her husband on a night of them both drinking(a really negative influence in her life IMO, he denies all mental illness and just called people f**cked up, refuses to address issues around recovery) that she knocked out two of his front teeth with her knee. She struggles constantly with her anger or suppresses all of her emotions into a not caring about herself or anybody type senario depending on her cycles. I do believe she is bipolar 1 though, as she had had several manic episodes through the years and is heavily medicated now to cope, she has thyroid issues as well which complicate her bipolar, not sure if that is relevent or not.

Speaking from personal experience, rather than what a friend experiences, i don't suppress anything, not anger, not anything, i let it all hang out.

But the anger being more prominent in men, that came from a very experienced and very talented consultant who i respected a great deal. My sister said to her that i didn't have that as a symptom (when asked to read a list) and that is when it was mentioned, oh that is more common in men. You i think have taken my comment as being ONLY men and NEVER women, when i didn't say that, i said that i was told it was more common in men, mostly men. I think looking at the differences between men and women in general we can easily say that men suffer more with anger problems than women do. Generally of course, i would never say ALWAYS about anything.

T

Topcat

Former member
I think any article saying, "I am bipolar2 and feel like this, therefore every person bipolar2 will feel like this", is dumb. Some people have anger problems. Some don't. I have some anger problems, sometimes, on the way up, and on the way down mostly. But that's me. I have a family line of angry motherfuckers, highly irritable on occasion. So even if I wasn't lumped with categorising things under a diagnosis I might just be a miserable aresehole with anger problems, like my dad, his dad, and his dad etc etc. From what I can gather, intense irritation and anger can play a part for many, but this won't be the same for everyone, and won't be to the same extent for everyone either.

Can I delete this now, this wasn't what I was trying to say. You know when you think you have something to say on a topic, but when you start typing you have no idea what you're going on about....
I'll leave it. It might make sense to someone :rolleyes:

Gajolene

Gajolene

Speaking from personal experience, rather than what a friend experiences,
I'm not sure if your trying to say because my "friend" (best friend of the last 17 years) experiences this rather than "myself" that it means my point is unacceptable. My best friends Bipolar/Ptsd is firmly established by 3 psychiatrists and she confides in me her deepest thoughts and emotions surrounding bipolar and her PTSD and living it every day. I do think I do know a little about bipolar. I've been there for her in good times and at her worst most manic times. Sadly her husband is currently not letting her communicate by visit with me, yet she still manages to pm me when he is not around.
Living under the wrath of my bipolar 1 exhusband's manic episodes for 15 years years of marriage probably means nothing too since I didn't live it myself in my own head and was ONLY brutally victimized by his manic rage. Sorry but I find that comment rather insulting personally. I hope it was not your intention.

Mark_01

Mark_01

I posted the article because I identify with what she says about the extreme emotions of being bipolar. As I mentioned, I internalize anger. Mostly it is demons from the past. People were very cruel to me because I cannot grasp simple social situations, and that I wasn't there.

When I am with a group of people, I often mentally leave the room. I know they are talking about something, but I don't understand it because I am in a different world. I have had people screaming at me in anger because they think I have been ignoring them, and in a way, they are right. But what they don't understand is that I am desperately trying to stay in the same room with them and be a part of the conversation, and screaming at me just makes it worse. Then what follows is the ridicule; being called stupid, an idiot, a moron, and the list goes on. I am not talking about a few isolated incidents, it has been a lifetime. It has happened so many times it has become a deja vu out of body experience.

My extreme anger comes from events of the past, I sit at home alone and suddenly become very angry. I'm angry because of what people said to me, I'm angry at myself for being such a failure. Then comes the exhausting depression. And as I have said, I am not as bad as I use to be, but still have my moments. The anti-psychotics and anti-depressants have helped. I wish I were not me and I wish the past never happened.

So simply put, I think I understand where she is coming from and liked what she had to say.