• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

This worked for me!

H

HuwDJ

Founding Member
Back in 1993 i was made redundant then a little while later my wife lost her job. Then a little while later again our daughter died. Do i need any more 'qualifications' to say i know what i'm talking about when it comes to having, as i did, depression?
Anyway by 1999 i'd really had enough! I had too much time on my hands to think negatively. I began the hauling myself out by starting college and i now have 9 B/C grade GCSE's and an 'A' Level in Mediation. I got myself 3 voluntary jobs and attended something called cognitive threapy via my GP.
I'm not what you might call 'satisfied' or 'happy' even now with full time work and still 2 voluntary posts but then who is truly at ease with their life completely? My boys growing up have brought and still bring their problems/issues! For me life is about helping who i can, the chase rather than the end result, the reason to do rather than not do, the half full glass not the half empty glass.
I could bore everyone rigid with the story of my life although i have led an interesting life it would have to be said...to date that is....and i write poetry!:sorcerer::)(y):clap:

H

HuwDJ

Founding Member
Hi Sandybob!

Don't get me wrong i'm not always all smiles and happiness and things do go a bit awry in my life but i guess what i'm saying is that a positive mental attitude can help, always of course bearing in mind what the mental health issue is, and is vital to recovery of any degree. For me helping others has been very much a part of self help and for me seeing that there is always someone worse off is quite humbling. I realise this is who i am in my experiences through life so far and no doubt there are people who really are not coping too well and i see and work with some of them almost daily in my work as an advocate but i believe that having someone who is willing to just be there for someone else helps that person maybe only a little but maybe a lot and either way can make the difference that counts. It's not magic :sorcerer: and not psychology in my life book it's plain humanity!:flowers::tea:

D

Dollit

Hi Huw - it was refreshing to read what you had to say. I think it's important to share the positive otherwise how else do we ever learn to deal with the negative? :tea:

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Having too much space to fill with thoughts, lots of resonance in this corner. I've found the fuller I have made my life with work and studies, the better my life has become. Can't imagine what it would be like to lose my daughter, that would surely send me over the edge :unsure:

Glad to have you onboard :welcome:

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Hi Huw - it was refreshing to read what you had to say. I think it's important to share the positive otherwise how else do we ever learn to deal with the negative? :tea:

Well said Dollit :):tea:

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Back in 1993 i was made redundant then a little while later my wife lost her job. Then a little while later again our daughter died. Do i need any more 'qualifications' to say i know what i'm talking about when it comes to having, as i did, depression?
Anyway by 1999 i'd really had enough! I had too much time on my hands to think negatively. I began the hauling myself out by starting college and i now have 9 B/C grade GCSE's and an 'A' Level in Mediation. I got myself 3 voluntary jobs and attended something called cognitive threapy via my GP.
I'm not what you might call 'satisfied' or 'happy' even now with full time work and still 2 voluntary posts but then who is truly at ease with their life completely? My boys growing up have brought and still bring their problems/issues! For me life is about helping who i can, the chase rather than the end result, the reason to do rather than not do, the half full glass not the half empty glass.
I could bore everyone rigid with the story of my life although i have led an interesting life it would have to be said...to date that is....and i write poetry!:sorcerer::)(y):clap:

Hello and :welcome: HuwDJ :)
Lovely to read your post.
Hope to read some of your poetry too :)

H

HuwDJ

Founding Member
Poems & points!

Hi all,
Beginning to look like i am building a sort of fan club! Don't really want a fan club cos not a celeb but if i can make someone feel a bit more positive or raise a smile that's really excellent!
Thanks for all you positivity and if you've a mind to watch this space i'll post one of my poetic ditties later this week (i'll find a funny one!), if it cheers anyone up it'll be very worthwhile!
Take care for now everyone, cos it's a jungle out there!
Huw (y):hug:

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
anything to give us a smile is always appreciated.

silly joke

q. whats brown and sticky

a. a stick

well it made me smile :LOL:

H

HuwDJ

Founding Member
Hi Rolfe!

Ha! Ha! We don't always see the obvious, you could say we sometimes don't see the wood for the trees!!!!
Perhaps......Insanity is in someone else's mind!:D(y)

sandybob

sandybob

Founding Member
:LOL:

oh daffy :D.. the old ones are the best ....

still the first mile ive had today

ta :)

L

Lamb12345

Wow you really have had it tough eh? Good for you keeping on keeping on! I only hope I can find half the strength you did to pull through the place I'm in right now, well done and hope things continue to get better for you, I found your post inspirational, if you can do it then I should be able to get a little better surely :) thanks

AliceinWonderland

AliceinWonderland

Staff Member on Leave
Hi Lamb12345, I've replied in the thread you've started, but just wanted mention in case you hadn't realised, that this thread hasn't been active for a few years, don't worry it's fine to post anywhere that strikes a chord, just wanted to give you the heads up that you're unlikely to get replies from the people who've posted in this one. If you need any help with getting used to the forum, or have any questions, feel free to send me a PM, or ask in the How to Use the Forum section. All the best, A. x