• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

This sounds stupid but I'm deathly afraid of dogs and canines in general

D

Driftwood_Sandcat

I don't know how or why I have this phobia. I had a dog growing up and I loved him. The phobia only developed after he died. I get panic attacks thinking about dogs and every time the dog next door barks I feel weak. I see that most people love dogs but I can't be near them or I'll have a bad panic attack

bpd2020

bpd2020

It does not sound stupid at all. Phobias are out of our control and we cannot help having them. I am sorry your fear of dogs is causing you distress. I know some people have overcome phobias by having therapy. Maybe that is something you could consider.

Mal84

Mal84

Not stupid at all. No phobias are stupid, we can’t control them.

I’ve heard that for phobias some people do CBT work to help. Other therapies are available as well :)

rei

rei

Its okay, I feel that my phobias are stupid too, I have a terrible phobia of insects and fire, which I have no idea how it happened. Therapies should be helpful! I believe you can get through this.

Lavender_Rose

Lavender_Rose

My neighbor was extremely scared of dogs, I think she has gotten used to them a lot now. Only if a dog runs up on her does it seem to bother her. But I think it took some time of being around them to really get her through the phobia.

R

Rebeca1

I'm afraid of dogs your not been stupid.
Some dogs are dangerous that's why I am afraid. Little dogs don't bother me tho.

jajingna

jajingna

My guess is that your fear of dogs is more common than you or I know. There's a bunch in my neighborhood and they're all barkers. Sometimes it rattles me and I dislike the walk to and from the store because of that barking. I don't see what's so loveable about that behavior, sometimes dogs are jerks.