This sounds real odd but...

bulbie

bulbie

Can someone ask me questions to help me have a rough idea of whether I have PD or something else? I'm seeing my new shrink on Thursday and I want to tell her what I suspect, but I'm nowhere near ready to explain why I suspect that... The results of this thread I can print off and just hand to her... :oops:

dib4uk

dib4uk

Hi there, well for me having a personality disorder means that i have problems with my identity and who i am. I have problems wiht my moods which go up and down, and i have a problem with seperation anxiety, and a traumatic childhood, and i have relationship problems because i have a low self esteme and problems with who i am.

Heres a link for you to read which is helpful and maybe it can help you to look into yourself and see if you do suffer from a Personality Disorder or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personality_disorder

http://www.sane.org.uk/AboutMentalIllness/PersonalityDisorders

Hope that helps.

bulbie

bulbie

Thanks for the link. You do sound pretty similar to me. But before I found this forum I had no idea that personality disorder existed.

dib4uk

dib4uk

Before i got diagnosed i never knew What exactly i was suffering from, but i knew that i had something that was wrong with me... I'm lucky enough to have found a good support network in a group that i attend. Its called the Sun project and it has helped me greatly. But sadly not everyone has the same amount of support i have, and i have hte support of my therapist.

I also have problems coping with life, and living in the real world. Stress plays an important part, and when im stressed my symptoms get worse.

bulbie

bulbie

Support sucks around here. It's taken me literally years to get a new shrink. I just really need to know what is wrong with me, I'm tired of being broke and being dismissed.

maxitab

maxitab

Which one were you thinking of?
Borderline PD (Emotional Intensity PD) has the following characteristics:

History of early childhood trauma (Could be anything).
Parents who have addicitive traits, chaotic lifestyle or are imature in their caring patterns. (So called 'adult children').
Experience of care givers humiliating, denying the childs feelings or telling them their feelings are other than what they feel - invalidation of emotions ( and lots of other invalidation too).

The individual will:
have difficulties which arise during early adolescence.....
Have problems with interpersonal relationships in all areas of life......typified by the 'can't live with can't live without' syndrome.....there may be terror of abandonment yet inability to commit. Will stay in unhealthy relationships rather than face the world alone, or will abandon all hope of having adult relationships and become isolated and aloof.
Have extreme emotional sensitivity and intensity, more than simpy having ups or downs, but have lots of conflicting emotions all at the same time and often become overwhelmed by emotion. Volatile, possibly aggressive and or emotionally unavailable through repressed emotion (feels not much).
Chaotic lifestyle....lots of changes in jobs, addresses, friends etc.
Engages in high risk lifestyle, poor impulse control, and/or addictive activities.....alcohol, sex, shopping, gambling, substances. May have an associated eating disorder.
Signs and symptoms of unresolved PTSD: Periods of disociation, hallucinations, flashbacks, nightmares, and other related phenomena. Sleep disturbances.
Highly intelligent, hyper vigilant, may be considered psychic because of ability to pick up on tiny unconscious clues given by others as to what they are thinking/feeling.

If about five of the above are present then it is safe to say BPD..........I hope this helps. You certainly deserve a better service than you seem to be getting at the mo.
Of interest, some health professionals are reluctant to give a PD diagnosis because in the past there was little treatment and people with PD were even more stigmatised than anyone else with MH prob. There are some good psychometric testing tools for diagnosis of PD, ask your pdoc to administer one.

bulbie

bulbie

I was thinking either paranoid or borderline. I am extremely paranoid about most things. But what you've posted seems absolutely spot on. How to approach her with it though, is beyond me... I don't know why seeing the shrink is making me nervous...

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

Well my MH worker has just dismissed my thoughts about me having BPD without even much consideration, even though I printed out a load of stuff from MIND etc and bolded the stuff that I felt applies to me (and there was lots). I don't see a pdoc now cos I'm not on meds so I don't suppose it will even be relayed back to her. Grrr I hate my MH team. Except maybe my therapist.

bulbie

bulbie

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Up here, docs don't like it when you know what's wrong before they do.