• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

this may sound weird but.. i feel bad when people are being nice or compliment me.

B

Big Boar

this may sound weird but.. i feel bad when people are being nice or compliment me.

okay, so im a novice manga artist and i want to become umm let's say a "Full Fledged" manga artist who is able to design and create things and people, so im currently working on how to draw and and how to design people and things then someone on facebook says that these are really great drawing that i could be a fashion illustrator and wants to be my friend, then i say im still a novice and i still need lots of training.
i find the drawing really blissful if its a 100% yours- you didn't copy it, that everything is your own creation and design. but i don't feel much joy if i copied it from something, like portrait or painting for example- you draw someone but it is something that is already exist
and i find it even more disheartening when the image like painting or portrait can be made by our technology very easily. but manga is different, everything on paper is 100% my creation and it cannot be created by any machines, so to create something unique gives me bliss, that's why i prefer manga over portraits/painting. and to create something unique not only gives me bliss- i also feel... how should i put it.. it feels that "i exist." that i no longer a nobody like many years ago, and as an adult i starting to realize how horrifying being a nobody in this world. so i think i found one of ways to fight my depression and that is a manga.
now someone is being nice to me and compliment me greatly, he seems to be a very nice person, its not bad of course.
but.... i feel so inferior, like i feel self condemnation, its really not a good feeling. now all that interest on practice is gone i stop for today and lie to my bed doing nothing... feeling very bad, i wonder what should i do to overcome this? thank you:cry2:

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

If someone compliments you and you end up in bed depressed, this is because you need to either not care about compliments or embrace compliments. Feeling inferior and having self loathing because someone complimented you can be combated by having more compassion on your own self. You must have great compassion for yourself.

A

arwen

I understand this completely. i can copy and image and go into great detail. I actually love doing this...it feels great getting in as much detail as possible. But I do feel that it is inferior to people who do their own designs and images from fantasy etc. I just don't have that kind of thinking just yet...maybe I never will.
This is something I've been thinking about a lot recently after someone had commented 'why would you want to create a picture that can be captured with a photograph' and I think that that can actually be the point. In these days of technology etc we forget about the natural things and being able to create from scratch, sometimes getting an image that's accurate with just a pencil...there's something lovely about that.
I also have a lot of difficulty in accepting praise and compliments. I do believe it is a lack of self worth self-esteem etc. But it is something I am working on.
Hope you manage to overcome your problems.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
G I know this may seem like nothing but Depression Forum 3
Fairy Lucretia i may have hurt my beagle Depression Forum 34
blujai May have just learned the hard way not to play around with meds. Depression Forum 3
Dais Workbook about anxiety and depression I personally found useful. You may like it too. Depression Forum 2
L Hubby may be depressed? But I don't know for sure... Depression Forum 2
M Vitamin B-12 supplements may help with depression Depression Forum 1
FindingTheMeaning What Outsiders May Not Understand about Depression Depression Forum 27
B An update. I may not do it.... Just yet... Depression Forum 3
D If you think I deserve it, may you help me? Depression Forum 1
L May be among the sickest people on earth Depression Forum 27
Z I may have no future, but that's actually OK Depression Forum 1
L I may have to go off Amitryptiline = heart problems!! Depression Forum 1
C May I ask your Opinion ? Depression Forum 5
M My wife has PDD, I think I may also. Depression Forum 2
American Boy I may as well just end it Depression Forum 2
G My cousins story *May be triggering* Depression Forum 5
L How do I tell people I may kill myself Depression Forum 3
E Suicidal ideation **caution may trigger** Depression Forum 5
S Any advice would be nice thanks. this may be triggering Depression Forum 2
K and last thread because no one probably cares but i need to get this off my chest **May Trigger** Depression Forum 14
L I am about to mentally collapse. I need help. *May Trigger* Depression Forum 4
W Hello! New to the forum and semi-new to depression. *INCLUDES WHAT MAY BE TRIGGERS Depression Forum 3
K I think I may be suffering from depression Depression Forum 10
J May Trigger. Depression Forum 1
T May have depression - counselling? Depression Forum 2
amathus 5 physical signs you may be depressed. (Article) Depression Forum 1
cpuusage Antidepressants May be Worsening Depression, Not Treating it Depression Forum 22
Kerome A pessimistic view of the future may be the cause of depression Depression Forum 1
B Having to accept I may never be understood Depression Forum 6
B So angry may trigger Depression Forum 5
N I think my boyfriend may have depression or bi polar but refuses to talk to anyone or see a doctor Depression Forum 4
amathus 5 sneaky Signs of Depression you may be overlooking. Depression Forum 5
maybe.shes.a.wildflower **may trigger** need advice please. Depression Forum 12
F Hello, please may I get some help if possible? Depression Forum 3
M emotional break down in may ... 9 year relationship break up in july ... single mum trying to recover Depression Forum 3
S I feel like I may never reach out of this slump of depression. I am tired of crying and feeling stressed out. :(r Depression Forum 14
F Randomised clinical trial: gluten may cause depression in subjects with non-coeliac gluten sensitivity Depression Forum 2
C ** may trigger**Depressed? Psycho? Depression Forum 3
C Please help am I turning into a psychopath ** May Trigger ** Depression Forum 3
M Being abused may trigger Depression Forum 11
F Depressed? You May Not Be Able to Enter the U.S. Depression Forum 2
T Depression may get in the way of future career? HELP Depression Forum 12
P women's problems... men .. you may want to avoid this thread! Depression Forum 4
worrymuffin think the honeymoon period may be over.... Depression Forum 2
W So low, I may get stepped on. Depression Forum 4
Niniane Can't let go. Can't get better. * May Trigger (Mention of sexual assault)* Depression Forum 2
Niniane I'm a mess * May trigger* Depression Forum 6
P think i may have BPD... confused. need advice please. Depression Forum 1
worrymuffin it may be stormy now... Depression Forum 1
aleshadxcherylc may not good month and the event that sparked the depression Depression Forum 10