• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

This is a great website

firestorm

firestorm

I love the name. His black dog is actually what Winston Churchill called the dark moods (depressions) that followed his highs. I only recently found out that he had BD. Definitely going to check it out.

Thanks Tawny
Storm

G

Ginger Kitten

His black dog is actually what Winston Churchill called the dark moods (depressions) that followed his highs. I only recently found out that he had BD.

That's interesting, Firestorm. I've only ever heard it reported that he had recurrent depression (the 'black dog'), not bipolar disorder. Did you find out he experienced mania too? I would be surprised if he suffered from mania, as he had such world-changing decisions to make and he wouldn't have been able to do so in a manic state, I don't think. Maybe he had hypomania, though, which doesn't affect functioning in the same way.

Where did you discover that, please? I'd like to take a look at it. Churchill would then be another of the long list of luminaries with this disorder!

Kind regards, GK.

JessisMe

JessisMe

His black dog is actually what Winston Churchill called the dark moods (depressions) that followed his highs. I only recently found out that he had BD.

That's interesting, Firestorm. I've only ever heard it reported that he had recurrent depression (the 'black dog'), not bipolar disorder. Did you find out he experienced mania too? I would be surprised if he suffered from mania, as he had such world-changing decisions to make and he wouldn't have been able to do so in a manic state, I don't think. Maybe he had hypomania, though, which doesn't affect functioning in the same way.

Where did you discover that, please? I'd like to take a look at it. Churchill would then be another of the long list of luminaries with this disorder!

Kind regards, GK.

G

Ginger Kitten

Thank you JessisMe. I spoke to my mum about this earlier on tonight and she said she knew Churchill had bipolar disorder, so it seems it's just me who's ill informed! Thank you for the link, I read through it and found it very interesting. Best wishes, GK.

firestorm

firestorm

Kind regards, GK.
Hi Ginger Kitten,

I think it is judged retrospectively from anecdotal accounts of his behaviour, but here are two links:

I hope you enjoy the articles.

Kind regards

G

Ginger Kitten

Thank you Firestorm; I'll have a read of them tomorrow. KR, Ginger.