• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

This is a cure for depression:

nutri

nutri

This is a 'simple' (simple, but can take a long time) & drug-free cure:

The main causes of depression include:

1. identifying with emotions

2. believing information/advice from other people

3. Lack of sleep

4. unidentified & unwarranted fear/guilt

the solution is:

1. realise that no-one "is" depressed/depression (but they may feel 'depression')

2. question any information/advice from other people, & also question your own thoughts as these are also unreliable; question everything; rely only on evidence

3. sleep

(from "21 causes & cures for depression" by Mark Walker)

calypso

calypso

Admin
I would argue Nutri that cures for depression usually only work for mild to moderate depression. Severe depression is another animal altogether. But lets see what others think. :)

C

cherbear

Hi hunny not sure I would call that a cure rather a guide to help with coping with depression . I agree with Calypso that with severe depression is a another animal . I have severe depression and anxiety and medication helps me will also be having therapy group CBT sessions and seeing if maximising my everyday diet will help too .

mosqutoism

mosqutoism

A friend of mine says that whenever he wakes up sad, he decides to be happy and spends the rest of the day happy. "decide to be happy" that's quite interesting. That makes me think that maybe it could work on depression too. We create everything in our minds, our mind decides to feel depressed and sad and telling us all the negative, self conscious things that make us feel weary, anxious etc... And I think we have the power to change that. I've only realized that recently, and it kinda works for now...

We might feel depressed, but it only gets worse when we make ourselves believe in that, when we believe and accept that we're depressed... Instead of doing that, I try to be aware that it's only my mind, it's only the ego playing its own games. So, I decide NOT to be depressed, I decide not to listen to the bad thoughts of my mind.

I know, if you're severely depressed what I am saying won't make any sense to you at first, because I was like that too. But if you just give it a chance and try to realize that you aren't depressed it's only your ego making you feel that way and you just need to be aware that YOU have the power over your ego.

ScaredCat

ScaredCat

I tried for years to ignore my thoughts - to be thankful for what i did have. It only worked for so long and now i am in hell

pepecat

pepecat

Yeah.... I got depression because I ignored my emotions, not because I paid them attention......

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
This is a 'simple' (simple, but can take a long time) & drug-free cure:

The main causes of depression include:
1. identifying with emotions
I think that even though some emotions are horrible it is important to accept those emotions, figure them out and cope in whatever way you do. If you push those emotions away then it may make things worse, at least it did and still does for me personally.

2. believing information/advice from other people
If it has come from someone who you love then yes you are going to believe it. If, for example you have been brought up being told by your parents that you will never amount to anything you are going to believe it. If you are being bullied and someone you love tells you to "man up (I really hate that phrase, it pains me to use it) and fight back" you are going to think it's the right thing to do.

It's the same as being brought up to be loved, if it's what you know then of course you are going to think that it is the norm and believe everything.

3. Lack of sleep
Agreed that it really doesn't help the situation at all but no one (imo) goes through life sleeping perfectly every single night of their lives.

4. unidentified & unwarranted fear/guilt
Unidentified is the main word in this. Of course if something in your past, that actually you can't fit all the peaces together has happened to you it's going to bother you, especially if it is a triggering situation. (IMO)

the solution is:
1. realise that no-one "is" depressed/depression (but they may feel 'depression')
Yes, I would say a label isn't who you are but saying that no one is depressed is like saying that they are just sad.

2. question any information/advice from other people, & also question your own thoughts as these are also unreliable; question everything; rely only on evidence
I repeat what I said previously.

Easier said than done. If I could get the recommended amount of hours sleep everyday it would be perfect but alas I can't, no matter how much I try to.

(from "21 causes & cures for depression" by Mark Walker)
Of course Nutri I know this isn't you posting this as coming from you and that it is a article. I just wanted to say that just in case :)

nutri

nutri

A friend of mine says that whenever he wakes up sad, he decides to be happy and spends the rest of the day happy. "decide to be happy" that's quite interesting. That makes me think that maybe it could work on depression too. We create everything in our minds, our mind decides to feel depressed and sad and telling us all the negative, self conscious things that make us feel weary, anxious etc... And I think we have the power to change that. I've only realized that recently, and it kinda works for now...

We might feel depressed, but it only gets worse when we make ourselves believe in that, when we believe and accept that we're depressed... Instead of doing that, I try to be aware that it's only my mind, it's only the ego playing its own games. So, I decide NOT to be depressed, I decide not to listen to the bad thoughts of my mind.

I know, if you're severely depressed what I am saying won't make any sense to you at first, because I was like that too. But if you just give it a chance and try to realize that you aren't depressed it's only your ego making you feel that way and you just need to be aware that YOU have the power over your ego.
thanks for your post

I agree with quite a lot of what you have said, but I dont agree with "deciding to be happy" as I think that some understanding of what is going on, is required;

but if it works for you, then thats good,

nutri

nutri

If you push those emotions away then it may make things worse, at least it did and still does for me personally.
I never mentioned "pushing those emotions away"

If it has come from someone who you love then yes you are going to believe it. If, for example you have been brought up being told by your parents that you will never amount to anything you are going to believe it. If you are being bullied and someone you love tells you to "man up (I really hate that phrase, it pains me to use it) and fight back" you are going to think it's the right thing to do.
It's the same as being brought up to be loved, if it's what you know then of course you are going to think that it is the norm and believe everything.
I agree

Agreed that it really doesn't help the situation at all but no one (imo) goes through life sleeping perfectly every single night of their lives.
yes I agree

but most depressed people have sleeping problems

sleep tends to be underrated

nutri

nutri

I tried for years to ignore my thoughts - to be thankful for what i did have. It only worked for so long and now i am in hell
ignoring thoughts is very difficult while you believe that they're true & helpful

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED

Awesome post, nice signature, you rock :peace:

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I think that even though some emotions are horrible it is important to accept those emotions, figure them out and cope in whatever way you do. If you push those emotions away then it may make things worse, at least it did and still does for me personally.

Unidentified is the main word in this. Of course if something in your past, that actually you can't fit all the peaces together has happened to you it's going to bother you, especially if it is a triggering situation. (IMO)

Yes, I would say a label isn't who you are but saying that no one is depressed is like saying that they are just sad.

I repeat what I said previously.

Easier said than done. If I could get the recommended amount of hours sleep everyday it would be perfect but alas I can't, no matter how much I try to.

Of course Nutri I know this isn't you posting this as coming from you and that it is a article. I just wanted to say that just in case :)
Damn marilee, you a sexii laaadee.