• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

This has helped my voices a bit

T

troubled

Hi, I'm in the middle of a psychosis at the minute. Up until today, things were pretty bad. I thought there was a nuclear war coming and that I could mitigate it by doing what the voices told me. Some of that is not fit for posting. It was not all voices, there were loads of psychotic thoughts.

In the past, I thought there might be a link between me having major arguments with people and my psychosis. On two occasions my psychosis went away seemingly after I made friends again with my brother. This time around, I had had major trauma in work due to being bullied for the past year and a half by a lot of people. As the management was covering the bullying up, last Tuesday I sent a letter from a solicitor to my boss and went psychotic the next day.

Earlier today I was so tense that my jaw hurt, due to all the psychotic thoughts and voices. Then I decided to try saying sorry to the people who had bullied me, completely against all logical thought. I sent an email to my boss telling him that I was withdrawing the grievance, and I sent emails to all the bullies saying sorry for reporting them. And now my psychosis has largely diminished. Nearly all the thoughts about the war are gone away, except that I do still have voices telling me I have to give all my money away. But after I sent the apologies, there was a definite improvement in the voices as well as the thoughts.

Even though it is completely counterintuitive to apologise to someone who has wronged you, it seemed to work in my case. My head is a lot clearer now and the tension that I was feeling physically all over is gone, and the voices have dropped.

I'm just posting this in case anyone else wants to try it. Believe me, the amount of suffering I did during the psychosis was completely out of proportion to the suffering I inflicted on the bullies by reporting them. I was in absolute torment for about a week, whereas bugger all happened to the bullies as I have had to withdraw the grievance letter. I'm just mentioning that in case someone wants to try this and is saying to themselves, "There's no way all this suffering can be because of that one little argument".

There is a Hawaiian healing system called hooponopono, which I know hardly anything about, except that its founder claimed to cure a ward full of sick people just by repeating four phrases over and over, one of which was, "I'm sorry".

Good luck if any of the above helps you.

shojostar

shojostar

There could definitely be a link between arguing with people and psychosis. Whatever you do, don't do what the voices tell you to do. The reason for this is because sometimes they are malicious and want to get back at you or something like that.

If I was you, i would think about what my conscious would tell me to do about what they are trying to get you to do, and then make a decision based upon what you think would be the right thing to do. Don't let the voices bully you just know that you are in charge of your own decisions in the end.

T

troubled

There could definitely be a link between arguing with people and psychosis. Whatever you do, don't do what the voices tell you to do. The reason for this is because sometimes they are malicious and want to get back at you or something like that.

If I was you, i would think about what my conscious would tell me to do about what they are trying to get you to do, and then make a decision based upon what you think would be the right thing to do. Don't let the voices bully you just know that you are in charge of your own decisions in the end.
Thanks Shojostar but they did get the better of me this time and they did make me apologise. I didn't think it was the right thing to do at all but I was so scared of them that I did it. They have made me do other things too that I didn't want to do, but I suppose I'm lucky in a way because there are other things they are trying to make me do and I'm not doing them.

Kerome

Kerome

I did quite a bit of apologising to my voices as well, and it did help. I don't think it's very silly, when I finally found out what motivated my voices it was "that I had made them jealous". So from their perspective, they are the wronged, injured party and are acting out, so your apologies help them potentially feel better.

Respect was important too. Once I explained to them what respect was, and that I tried to treat everyone, no matter whether they were voice or human, with respect and kindness, then things improved quite a bit.

So I think the rule is, do what helps, not what your possibly distorted sense of internal justice makes you think.

T

troubled

Thanks Kerome. I'm still not all that happy about apologising to the people who bullied me but since it seemed to help a bit, I can't complain too much.

T

Tonic

I have had 'people' (they are not disembodied voices with me) who bully me (through psychosis). They are never nice.

I always did find that being nice to them, however much it pained me, helped. But it was relentless.

Time heAled though.