thinking.of quitting work

T

Tabby 88

If at first you don't succeed...

but before you try again, have a nice Christmas. When the snow has gone, Spring has sprung, the tough get going.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I am having second thoughts about quitting. at least my savings are growing in this job. do I really want to put myself at the mercy of the job market?? can I really be a support worker??

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I think I will stick with this job for now. It is my only income source. It was stressing me out trying to work out what to do with money.

I was miserable at the thought of having a sneaky exit strategy and avoiding my boss. I was just running away.

It has been hard start to this job, but I have learned a lot. It would be a shame to quit now, when it is becoming easier.

If I want to be independent then I need this job. I will carry on with it and see what happens. If I get sacked then so what - at least I tried.

Who knows, I could end up with a good job in the private sector??

And I need to take a holiday too.

T

Tabby 88

I'm glad you have come to a decision and feel able to keep working there. It's the best outcome. You could see how you feel again in x months time. :clap: You lucky thing, having extra money.

Keep a check on your mental health though. It is priority.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I'm glad you have come to a decision and feel able to keep working there. It's the best outcome. You could see how you feel again in x months time. :clap: You lucky thing, having extra money.

Keep a check on your mental health though. It is priority.
The whole quitting thing was stressing me out. It was a good option but I feel calmer now that I decided to stay on. I will try and make it a few months into 2019 and see how I feel then.

Thanks for your help T.

T

Tabby 88

I feel all proud. People usually don't think i am helpful. I talk bollox but there are people who understand bollox.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I feel all proud. People usually don't think i am helpful. I talk bollox but there are people who understand bollox.
haha I guess I understand bollox then.But it was helpful, I just needed someone to say it was okay.

Mayfair

Mayfair

Admin
The whole quitting thing was stressing me out. It was a good option but I feel calmer now that I decided to stay on. I will try and make it a few months into 2019 and see how I feel then.

Thanks for your help T.
It'll perhaps swing from one side to other at different time. I sometimes can't stand working, other times, I just get on with it and don't mind it, though probably wouldn't go as far as ever saying I enjoy it. I've never really enjoyed a job other than bar work - but even then would prefer not to do it!

I can only think would enjoy work if ran own business. At least the motivation would be there, as obviously people start businesses in things they interested in.

Are there any possibilities to earn money online burt? You seem good with this sort of stuff.

fazza

fazza

Good luck with whatever you decide Burt. Some really sound advice here. You should not have the fear of facing your boss. They need your experience. It will be their loss if you leave.

I would try and talk with them though and tell them you are unhappy and thinking of leaving. They can't sack you for being unhappy but they might do the opposite and try to accommodate your needs.

If they don't then you have nothing to loose if you do leave in the new year.

I had a very good boss who helped me although I was too sick to continue. The door is left open for me to return because I spoke out.

Do what makes you happy. We have far to much to deal with without the added stress of being miserable in work.

We only get one shot in life and we have already been dealt a shit hand. Make the most of it. Stay strong.

Mayfair

Mayfair

Admin
Good luck with whatever you decide Burt. Some really sound advice here. You should not have the fear of facing your boss. They need your experience. It will be their loss if you leave.

I would try and talk with them though and tell them you are unhappy and thinking of leaving. They can't sack you for being unhappy but they might do the opposite and try to accommodate your needs.

If they don't then you have nothing to loose if you do leave in the new year.

I had a very good boss who helped me although I was too sick to continue. The door is left open for me to return because I spoke out.

Do what makes you happy. We have far to much to deal with without the added stress of being miserable in work.

We only get one shot in life and we have already been dealt a shit hand. Make the most of it. Stay strong.
I concur.

One bit struck me as important, and esp in burt's case...

this bold:

You should not have the fear of facing your boss. They need your experience. It will be their loss if you leave.
This is why I look for jobs, where I can work on my own. I can cope with shit bosses, if I only have to see them for a few mins,

but I couldn't and wouldn't work in same office as a shit boss.

-

Big difference here I think, and something to think about in new job searches..,

we all know the questions in interviews:

can you work well on your own?
can you work well in a team?

Stupid questions really (as if I apply for job working with people, I say yes, and give examples of team work, but if job lonely, I give examples of when I work well on my own)

but the important thing is which of these you will be doing most of your time in?

you only know the answer to this,

my choice is generally solitary work

-

I'd search for jobs that have less chance of shit boss burt, so I always look for lower skilled work, or lonely work. That's what I always worked to this algorithm.

Last edited:
LORD BURT

LORD BURT

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I am staying in my job for now, but I know I can always exit when I want. I will execute plan B if I do quit.

T

Tabby 88

It is essential there is that safety net/back up plan. I'm relieved we have it in this country.

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

good for you burt it will take minimum of 3 to 6 m0nths ordinarily to get ok with it but then you have been out of work for 7 years i think you said.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

ACCOUNT CLOSED
good for you burt it will take minimum of 3 to 6 m0nths ordinarily to get ok with it but then you have been out of work for 7 years i think you said.
I agree it takes time to get back into the working life mode.

I am enjoying work more, my boss is making me confront my fears, which I am told is a good thing.

The next meeting I am going to ask for more work to do.

I got a call from an agent about a job I applied for, it is on hold until jan. Will see what happens with that.

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

hey burt sounds like you are really starting to make some strides ....yeah we cant grow unless we confr0nt our fears. trouble with today is that there are too many 'well meaning professionals' that actually keep us stuck

in the past folk just had to some how get through it. but then community existed and so folk that were more vulnerable always managed to find something to do but now that is gone the community and the scope to work if vulnerable ...cos there are now so many hoops to jump through to get even a menial job.

this is what society has ended up, imo, with a growing number of folk 'unfit for work' yeah probably way too simplistic a view ....

hey that is sounding great burt another job hey take this time to research it maybe see what its truly about and then you will have a more informed choice to make

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

ACCOUNT CLOSED
thanks black smoke.

I am finding work a lot easier now, the first two months or so were really hard. Massive head fuck trying to understand everything. I am getting used to just sitting there with a lightish workload.

I am grateful that I have a job, and that I am becoming financially stronger each payday. Need to keep focussing on that.

There are some good jobs out there for when I have more experience so have to keep at it.

Boss is on leave for the next three weeks, so it will be quite nice for me.

I have 10 days holiday left till start of April which I need to take. I was thinking of renting a cottage up north to go for walks and reading books. Just something chilled out. IDK what other sort of holiday I should take given I will be on my own.

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

Great burt ….long time in the making. You have made amazing progress you are an inspiration. Wish I could get the well paid bit and then ….

That’s great the boss is away! Gosh already 10 days holiday I had to work 12 clear months before I accrued anything.

That sounds good the cottage etc bit of a country boy on the QT then! it is hard holidaying on your own but these days with the net you can look online and see what is there and make some kind of activity plan.

Otherwise a kind of working holiday they do exist in this country. Something like oh I don’t know maybe the national trust just a random idea. You normally get the bed and board in return for some work and they never work you very hard! Just a thought

F

Funnyday

What about a canal boat holiday. They look really peaceful and when you get bored of where you have moored. Just boat to another mooring. There are loads of Moorings which are near pubs. So a night out is awaiting if you desire.

T

Tabby 88

You could go on an arranged tour. There are backpacker style coach trips and obviously older people ones, but there must be regular tours. It is nice to sit back and let someone else take you from a, to b, to c and back again. Lots of other people and nice talks, meals together, i really like them. I know they have them in scotland but not sure where else.

Mayfair

Mayfair

Admin
What about a canal boat holiday. They look really peaceful and when you get bored of where you have moored. Just boat to another mooring. There are loads of Moorings which are near pubs. So a night out is awaiting if you desire.
Sounds nice, but I wonder how would do it on own?

I went on week barge holiday (in 1988 though) and required more than one person to do the locks.