thinking.of quitting work

W

WDR98

Sounds a good idea doing office work since diagnoses I have just volunteered although I got a night shift job cleaning bacon lines which I left after 2 months. Now I'm not doing anything which is very boring. Also alot of employers discriminate even though their not supposed to. My advise would be not to quit unless you have something else to go to. Anyhow good luck on whatever you choose to do.

burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide
Sounds a good idea doing office work since diagnoses I have just volunteered although I got a night shift job cleaning bacon lines which I left after 2 months. Now I'm not doing anything which is very boring. Also alot of employers discriminate even though their not supposed to.​ My advise would be not to quit unless you have something else to go to. Anyhow good luck on whatever you choose to do.
Back to benefits maybe?

I think I will write an email to my boss just before I leave for good. It will be an update of what work I am doing and where to find it. I will apologise for leaving but say my mental health problems are too severe. I will say the doctor signed me off work, so that is that. Something along those lines.

Maybe I can still get a reference off him, if I word it well enough.

Last edited:
Mayfair

Mayfair

Back to benefits maybe?

I think I will write an email to my boss just before I leave for good. It will be an update of what work I am doing and where to find it. I will apologise for leaving but say my mental health problems are too severe. I will say the doctor signed me off work, so that is that. Something along those lines.

if you have sick note, and doctor signed you off, I don't think need to add this bold. None of their business, and don't want them passing this info on.

W

WDR98

Back to benefits maybe?

I'd stick with it if I was in your position because being on benifits sucks. Or go for the office work which sounds a solution. See how you feel after x-mas.

burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide
I am worried about leaving them in the lurch whilst boss is on holiday. Assuming I get a sick note from the doc, if he writes schizophrenia on it, presumably that will scare them off given most people's reaction.

F

Fancyharm

Good luck with it all Burt, I am thinking of you. I have been there and know how confusing it can be having to give up a job.

Keep talking to us on here, I really hope it is helping you to work things out, the forum has helped me a lot.

burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide
Thanks fancyharm.

I read a quote online - 'Confuse them with your silence, shock them with your actions' - That is apt for me in this situation.

burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide
My boss was not in today, and I was a lot more relaxed.

I was partially busy, I finished a lot of work, but tomorrow will be quiet.

I wanted to quit because I found the job stressful and I was miserable. I am slightly more relaxed now that I have decided to quit.

He is not in tomorrow, so that will be good. When he is in the office I am on edge.

I am thinking I would like to work as a support worker in the community. This is helping disabled people live independent lives. It is not an office job, more like social work but hands on. You help them with their daily life.

I checked and these jobs require references, but I can get an HR reference from this job, and a volunteer reference from earlier in the year.

It is will be interesting to see if I like this sort of work. Hopefully it will be rewarding and fun.

I may claim ESA for a while at first, and volunteer for the Samaritans to be on the phone for them.

Last edited:
burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide
I feel guilty about quitting but it is perfectly legal. It is my choice.

Boss does not care about my health, and has made it worse, so why should I care about him. It just means he has to monitor the system, but it rarely breaks anyway. He can log in from home a couple of times a day.

He has become unbearable so why should I give a shit.

Last edited:
Tired Daisy

Tired Daisy

I feel guilty about quitting but it is perfectly legal. It is my choice.

Boss does not care about my health, and has made it worse, so why should I care about him. It just means he has to monitor the system, but it rarely breaks anyway. He can log in from home a couple of times a day.

He has become unbearable so why should I give a shit.
Bosses generally don't give a poop... maybe you could claim sickness pay because work is having a huge impact on your mental health?

burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide
Bosses generally don't give a poop... maybe you could claim sickness pay because work is having a huge impact on your mental health?
I see my doc next thursday. I am going to ask him for a sick note, and then hand it into hr. I am also going to quit at the same time.

Tired Daisy

Tired Daisy

A lot of people don't have the luxury of quitting work, I hope I never have to work I could never handle the rust hour neither, I've been caught up in the rush hour and have almost lost it, the rush hour alone would make me want to end things I can't handle crowds and ciaos.

Tabby 88

Tabby 88

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I am worried about leaving them in the lurch whilst boss is on holiday. Assuming I get a sick note from the doc, if he writes schizophrenia on it, presumably that will scare them off given most people's reaction.
Somebody else will step in and take over, it is not for you to worry about. The world won't end if you leave :)

Your doc doesn't have to write schizophrenia and i would be angry if they wrote that on mine, and surprised. You can ask them to write stress or 'as per your condition' because diagnosis is confidential. I used to work in payroll and most fit notes say 'as per your condition'.

burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide
thanks tabby. it's helpful to hear your thoughts.
I never knew that about sick notes. I will ask for that too I think.

I just want it to be over. hopefully not long now.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Somebody else will step in and take over, it is not for you to worry about. The world won't end if you leave :)

Your doc doesn't have to write schizophrenia and i would be angry if they wrote that on mine, and surprised. You can ask them to write stress or 'as per your condition' because diagnosis is confidential. I used to work in payroll and most fit notes say 'as per your condition'.
theres that gp years ago who got into trouble with the general medical council for putting ill health on sick notes, he said if he put say syphilus it'd be all round the office in half an hour

burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide
There are some nice people at work, but my boss is an ass, and makes me feel like shit and miserable. That is why I want to leave.

I want to change careers now. I tried this computing thing and it did not work out, and it reminded me of how it used to be. Sitting at a desk pretending to be busy, wanting to be somewhere else.

I would like to try doing something more meaningful for a change.

Tired Daisy

Tired Daisy

There are some nice people at work, but my boss is an ass, and makes me feel like shit and miserable. That is why I want to leave.

I want to change careers now. I tried this computing thing and it did not work out, and it reminded me of how it used to be. Sitting at a desk pretending to be busy, wanting to be somewhere else.

I would like to try doing something more meaningful for a change.
Have you ever thought about a entire complete change... working with Animals can be good.

burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide
Have you ever thought about a entire complete change... working with Animals can be good.
I am not sure about animals, but I could work with people. IDK. Just something more interesting and fun.