Thinking NO every time!!!

N

Nicolaxious

Hey, I'm here because somehow I allways think NO when I get invited to any social event. I hate this because I normally don't mean it but I allways think something bad is going to happen. Also, when I'm there I con't talk to anyone because I get completley speech less and left out. I think I have social anxiety because when I'm in a party I can't act like anybody else. I always end up alone.
HELP

If you have this too it would help to hear from you.
:redface::cry::(:unsure::oops:

D

dlzoidberg

I have had this problem all my life. And if I keep putting myself in the same situation, going to a group for depression for example, my anxiety grows, not lessens, over time.

Sugar Coated Owl

Sugar Coated Owl

I feel very much the same. I'm 25 and it really has ruined my life. I don't really go anywhere now because I can't deal with a lot of people. When I have forced myself to work parties I've always felt like I'm the odd one out and I never know what to say and generally just feel awkward. I can't wait to get home, put my pyjamas on and hide under the duvet.

I think CBT is supposed to help with the kind of problems you're experiencing.

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

I've never really gone out that much socially either, and a lot of the time in my life I have felt as if I'm on the outside looking in. I'm currently off work and hardly anyone from there has contacted me. I don't have any close friends although I mix a lot in musical groups. I'm very lucky to have a lovely husband but it feels like him & me (and my 2 boys :) ) against the world most of the time.

And if I keep putting myself in the same situation, going to a group for depression for example, my anxiety grows, not lessens, over time.
I think I would refuse if anyone ever suggested group therapy, it would scare the pants off me! :scared:

Sugar Coated Owl

Sugar Coated Owl

I'm going to be starting a young persons group therapy in Nov. I am petrified but I think it's worth a try. Hopefully I won't back out of going :scared:

N

Nicolaxious

Thanks!

Hey guys, I have been finding the best way to get rid of this, I have seen that if you make an effort to have a more active life, you stop putting attention to these matters. I have been going to the gym everyday, I learned how to drive myself around the city. I've travelled out to the countryside. And specially, stopped having time to think about negative things. What helped me a lot, as well, was finding new friends to help me, finding what I really like, and stopped pretending to be someone I am not. MOST IMPORTANTLY PEOPLE: BE YOURSELVES, find what YOU like, and do not feel bad for not liking what others like to do. EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT, BE YOURSELF! I am much much much much better, but still not completely well. Please listen to me, I DO NOT RECOMMEND DRUGS OF ANY SORT. My cousin who has grave anxiety problems had an overdose and dependence, he almost lost his life with normal over the counter anxiety pills. Please, just start again, find yourself as I am doing.

With respect

Nicolaxious:clap::clap::clap:(y)(y):flowers::grouphug: