• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Thinking about suicide

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Thinking About Suicide | Contemplating and comprehending the urge to die

Aim and purpose

The public discourse about suicide is currently poisoned by taboo, prejudice and fear – when it’s spoken about at all, that is. Many people are hungry for a different conversation about suicide.

The aim and purpose of the website is to encourage and create a space for this different conversation about suicide, primarily through our blog, called Let’s talk about suicide on the menu above. This space invites you to think differently about suicide – and then, let’s talk about it.

About the Author

In 2006 David Webb completed the world’s first PhD on suicide by someone who has attempted suicide. In it he argued that suicide is best understood as a crisis of the self rather than the prevailing view that it is the consequence of some pseudo-scientific ‘mental illness’.

Prior to his PhD (and the ‘four years of madness’ that motivated this research), David worked in the computer industry as a software developer and university lecturer.

He has been a board member of the World Network of Users and Survivors of Psychiatry (WNUSP) and worked as a research/policy office with the Australia Federation of Disability Organisations (AFDO).

David regards human rights as the core issue in mental health and that justice will not be possible for users and survivors of psychiatry until the mental health industry moves to the social model of disability that is the basis of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disability.

He has lived in New York, Delhi and London and has now ‘retired’ to Castlemaine, a old goldrush town outside of Melbourne .

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
David Webb, Author at Mad In America

First Aired: 09-01-2011

How common are suicidal feelings? Is a psychiatric illness behind suicidal despair — or a meaningful and even spiritual life crisis? Does forced hospitalization really provide help?

Suicide attempt survivor David Webb, author of Thinking About Suicide: Contemplating and Comprehending the Urge to Die, discusses how speaking openly about suicidal feelings, rather than reacting with panic and fear, is the best form of suicide prevention.

The Many Languages of Suicide, by David Webb
Thinking About Suicide | Contemplating and comprehending the urge to die

Listen here -

Talking About Suicidal Feelings: David Webb | Madness Radio

nonotme

nonotme

mine are daily, in fact hourly and on bad days every few minutes, twice I've acted on them. twice i messed around.

Kerome

Kerome

Interesting post, I have a friend who regularly talks about suicide, even though she has quite a good life, and I often wonder what I could say to make her leave those thoughts alone.

Kerome

Kerome

From the book of the website of the OP:

So Thinking About Suicide is also about sprituality and how spiritual ways of knowing can help us understand a suicidal crisis as often a spiritual crisis of the self. For many of us, it can also help us find a path out of such a crisis.

Having said this, let’s be clear that I am not advocating spirituality as some universal panacea for suicidal distress. I don’t believe there is any single “solution” to the vastly complex and deeply mysterious urge to die that many of us feel. But I know that I am not the only person who has found deep inner peace and the will to live again by walking the spiritual path. It really is quite obscene that the scientific experts of suicidology have banished this option from their research based on their scientific prejudices of what constitutes valid knowledge.

Finally, given the well known hazards of spiritual zealots, I also want to be very clear that the spirituality in Thinking About Suicide is not at all evangelical or even religious. There are many spiritual paths – some religious and some not – which all have the potential to comfort and guide us through difficult times. In Thinking About Suicide I share with you the spiritual self enquiry that set me free.

C

Christobel

Thank you for this article. So far I haven't been able to find much written about suicide. In my case it was being unable to shoulder a heavy load, including the burden of mental illness.

pepecat

pepecat

This is really interesting.

I think about suicide a lot...... I think it's a form of escapism somehow. Knowing there's a way out if I need it. I definitely have a self destructive part of me - been self harming on and off for about 20 years and indulge in 'risky' behaviour from time to time. Were I to die doing that well, there we are.

I wish I knew more about that part of me - where it comes from and what it means. I don't understand it, and neither is there really any decent reason for it.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Sorry to bother you both - i wasn't thinking about the effect of the thread title. :hug5:
i was bothered as well as far as suicide is involved, i was driving the scooter and i had this intrusive thought what if i open the throttle and close my eyes guess i'm not as well as i claim or those drs claim when they say i'm stabilised on meds, at least i'm in recovery, sarcastic said