Thinking about putting myself out there with online dating as a form of recovery

C

carag73

Thinking about putting myself out there with online dating as a form of recovery

Hey everyone, I know it's 2018 and everyone and their mother seems to be doing online dating. I'm thinking about getting involved and have never really tried it before. My anxiety has been pushing me away from people and relationships for the last 10 years. I'm starting to feel better and more confident and I think it might be time to try to meet somebody. This is not necessarily need to be romantic but I would not be avoiding that as well. If it any of you have any experience with online dating including sites, general advice etc. that would be very helpful. I guess I first need to take a few good pictures of myself haha. It seems like the sites for adults are something like eHarmony or match so maybe I will start there unless you guys have better recommendations. I hope to hear from all of you.

D

Dulcie

For some, online dating can be wonderful providing the website people have a high reputation and give good service. I knew of an older couple finding love; it was so heartwarming. So yes, if that's your bag then go for it! :)

InfiniteRectangles

InfiniteRectangles

Sometimes online dating works great, sometimes it doesn't. Don't get discouraged if you have trouble finding someone you connect with at first. My mom dated many people before she met my stepdad online and began dating him. Now they've been married for several years and they seem really happy. I'm not sure what site they met on though. Even if online dating doesn't work out, just keep in mind that at least you gave it a shot. You'll never know until you try, right? I thought about doing online dating because I don't really have friends and don't know anyone who wants to date me, but I'm pretty young so I've decided to wait and focus on finishing college first. Anyway, I wish you good luck in your endeavors. I hope you find someone whom you can really connect with :)

F

Fancyharm

Hi, yes, give it a try. I haven't done it but I would if I were single again.

I think the advice regarding don't be put off if it doesn't work at first is worth remembering.

Anyway, I just wanted to wish you luck. :hug5:

C

carag73

Hey everybody and thank you so much for the heart warming responses. I think that advice is great and I will make sure to give it a few tries definitely not giving up on the first time around. I think it depends on which dating website I use for sure because I know some of them seem more sketchy than other ones. I was thinking that the free ones might have a bunch of people trying to scam or fake profiles? I really don't know anything about online dating but I would assume that maybe the paid websites have people that are more serious about finding someone. These are all just assumptions of mine.

I had tried the free website plenty of fish a few years back but it seemed like a bunch of fake profiles that's why I say this. I was really trying to find how much eHarmony might cost due to the fact that I have multiple friends or family members that have met and gotten married off of the site. For some reason they don't have the prices online the quick Google search brought me to their website, I was excited to see that it may cost as low as seven dollars per month.

Unfortunately after doing the long survey I realized it was more like double that price. Also I was a little frustrated, I guess that $15 a month is not extremely bad especially if it helps you meet somebody that you really connect with. At least that's how I'm looking at it and rationalizing it. I guess I give this a try for a few months and let you guys know how it goes. If any of you others have experience with eHarmony or any online dating site for that matter I'd love to hear your stories or any advice that you guys might have as well :)

Last edited by a moderator: