• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Think my anxiety problems return. Please advise.

B

Benson53

Hi,
I emigrated from HK to the U.K. in Feb. I had anxiety problems six years ago and saw a physiatrist who prescribed me 10mg of Citalopram daily and zoplicone. My anxiety was slowly subsided. I stopped seeing him afterwards (too expensive) and kept buying citalopram from drugstore (quite easy to buy). All these years, I have been doing well. And I did try to stop taking Citalopram on and off. After emigration to here up till May, I still took Citalopram 10 mg (my surplus) but on alternate days. Then I started to stop taking. Lately, I begin to feel that my anxiety returns.
Start thinking negatively. And wonder if I should take my remaining Citalopram (25 pills left).
I worry that if they are all used up, how could I deal with my anxiety.
I would like to know if there are other ways to reduce my anxiety without taking med.
After all, 10mg is a low dosage and I think I can live well without it which I maybe wrong.

I plan to see my GP but I have never used the NHS service here yet and I was told they seldom prescribe med like these. (I am not sure indeed)

Please advise. Thx

B

bpd2020

Hello Benson. Citalopram is a widely prescribed drug here. I am sure if you see your GP they will reissue you a prescription. There is no harm in taking anti anxiety medication if it helps. When you stopped it your anxiety returned so it could be the low dose was just enough to take the edge of it for you.

B

Benson53

Thanks. I have never booked an appointment with a GP. Feel odd telling my anxiety problem suddenly. But I will explore and do so on Monday.
Btw, can practising mindfulness really help?

B

bpd2020

GPs here in the UK are used to dealing with anxiety so please do not worry about talking to them. Mindfulness can help some people. It is worth trying to see if it helps you. You have nothing to lose by trying. :)

B

Benson53

I got my GP’s SMS for collecting my med. He said that zoplicone is not encouraged and he only prescribed me Citalopram.
Thx for your advice.

B

bpd2020

I am pleased you got the prescription. Thank you for letting us know.