• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Think ive given up

I

IntrospectionFtw!

Im existing on little to no medication at the moment half an olanzapine a night with a lot of valium..im miserable but ive become so anti medication since my memory started going and got scared they we're making my condition worse, im tempted to go back to my old aripiprazole and effexor combination because atleast i can feel a artifical somewhat happy feeling on it..i just dont feel like im doing anything too impove my situation i have moments were i feel switched on and ok but others were i feel useless...maybe the medications arnt as bad as i think and i need a good dosage and with time i can adjust..but since these last couple of episodes where i can really feel my brain not functioning at its best i jus get worried that ill make the wrong decision..you know theres arguements for medications and against and there the experts so maybe they know better?

J

jakelong

Take medications if you feel it would help.

I don't, but I feel like something that helps me is to remember when you're doing good, you're usually only thinking about so much at a time. Our thoughts only work at a normal pace, you know. Your brain is tired most likely.

Maybe try slowing down. Think about healthy things. Avoid delusions.

R

rasselas

If only there was an easy answer, introspection.

i think it helps to think of yourself as the expert on your self. You'll know the signs and patterns. It's often possible to feel, as you are, that things are going wa-hey and nip 'em in the bud.

If you've been on medication for a long time it can be very difficult to even lower the dose. If the amount of drugs you take varies often, you may find it even harder. Just as the drugs are very individual in their effects on a person, so too the tapering down off them.

It's why it's not a good idea to come off drugs if you haven't also put in place a number of supporting measures. It took me 3 years to ween off neuroleptics to the point where I was stable enough. But I also taught myself various strategies through information from voice hearing groups, online resources, books, and conferences. I was helped by my 5th CPN. And supported by my 6th psychiatrist.

I changed my lifestyle. Mostly zeroed on cigarettes and alcohol. Mostly kept out of bars. Exercised rigorously, daily. Started eating very well.

The drugs are one way of bringing it all down to a liveable level. There are other ways of doing this. But like I say, it involves far far more than simply stopping the drugs.

While I was on drugs I started to plan, learn and change things. I also had to get people on my side. People do sometimes manage it alone but I think they are the exception rather than the rule.

Good luck and best foot forward! :)

I

IntrospectionFtw!

Thanks guys, sounds like the non medication approach is a long haul..your right about the delusional thoughts jake i didnt even realise i was semi delusional i was talking to the voices and thoughts in my head last night ranting about certain things i always rant about, there so easily intergrated into my normal thinking..then i was jus like wait a minute what am i even pissed off about then i felt better..you know its that pepetual nonsense that leads to no where it feels like its real and it has substance..but then you just hold ya head a little and you realise its meaningless, thing is i do respond well to low doses of medication so i might try 5 mgs of aripiprazole and like you said mark im prolly more of a expert since ive tryed every drug and read up alot about them know how they work etc still cant seem to solve the problem though. anyway thanks people.

yh i wanna give up cigs aswell ive cut the narcotics out last thing to do.

Last edited:
J

jakelong

I'm glad you realized these things and it helped. That's a huge step, man!

M

maudikie

From Maudikie

It is usual that when you stop taking the medicines the condition gets worse. Acceptance that something is wrong will help, difficult though it may be. It is a very tiring illness, but you need some interest to help to keep your brain working at its own speed. Try not to worry aboutit. There are many with the same difficulties.
Take care.

B

bebe

I too get memory lose and its quiet frightening , it is very hard to try and control your brain when your brain wants to do other things that to other people seem strange,, but try not to worry,,

T

Twylight

Introspection:

I did exactly what you did;

I was taking 6mg of Olanzapine instead of 10mg
I slowly slipped into psychosis wher i remained for two months - that started in October
I'm still getting over it - dreadful

I

IntrospectionFtw!

yh donno what im doing at the mo think im pretty much just gonna come off them again even after two relapses..prolly take alot of valium to keep the symptoms at bay idk maybe ill try a different one olanzapines just the easiest to get onto and the most well tolerated so i usually end up on it, it just makes more sense to me that taking a drug would cause brain damage rather than my brain doing it on its own accord not denying i have a psychotic illness i just think the two are separate problems i just wish they'd throw a new drug on the market one with a completely different mode of action like cannabidiol or something theirs loads in development heres a good website lists alot of new drugs in trials if anyones intrested. http://www.neurotransmitter.net/newdrugs.html

M

maudikie

To Introspection.

It is qute good to get to know yourself b introspection, but it should not last for long. If you are worried about the medication you are on there are many others which MIGHT suit you better. So ask your doctor or nure for a review.
And always remember there are people worse than yourself.

Take care:hug: