• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Think im about to have a relapse

I

IntrospectionFtw!

i decided to come off my meds again after i started suffering from memory loss, any advice would be appreciated ty.

Last edited by a moderator:
iffybob

iffybob

ok

Do you have any one to watch over you for a while.......?

Did you decide to stop taking your meds, did you just stop or did you step them down gradualy.

If you stop any meds, esp cold turky, you should expect to have dramatic changes in your mind, that is just the way it is.

It is better if you decide to stop to cut down first, over a period of weeks.

Then stop, over a week end or so.

You can try and fill the silence with TV, films or music, also by doing stuff like jigsaws, cross words that type of thing, even silly board games, or computer games........

.... having some one who knows and understands will also help.

take care, try not to panic, boB........:)

I

IntrospectionFtw!

I tapered down as gradually as possible and its been ok i mean i surrpose im better off than most can do things type etc...i usually spend my time doing more things so its frustrating, and ive been working towards doing more again just having these moments where i feel senile you know comes and goes
but i suppose when your mentally ill its something you gotta get used to, plus my bloody psychs are useless, just you know id rather take action and do something about it but obviously im skeptical about these meds due to the memory loss and thats all there offering me, i mean my psychosis tends to have a slow onset just you know feel like im prolonging the inevitable. anyways cheers for the post.

iffybob

iffybob

Fine

Many MH (mental health), people get relapses, it may be that all the meds have washed out of your system, many take time to build up, and a while to get out of your system.

Also a lot of us are just manageing the prob, there is often no "cure".

With my prob I dont have voices, but I do get lot of "noise", somtimes it goes quiet, and I find that disturbing, for a short while it feels like a relife, and then I seem to panic, a bit like all the people you know left the room and did not tell you where every one was going.......

Did you get contact info for MH services in your area, I dont think you need the crisis team but it may help if you talked to some one about it, even if they just reassure you a little.

A lot of psychothropy for long term conditions is just helping you to come to terms with the condition, and try and find things that make it easyer for "you" to cope, and try and recognise when you are have a relapse.

I dont think you are realy having a relapse, I do think what you are feeling is new to you, and the situation is panicing you a little, thats ok, just try not to let it blow up.

Take care....... boB

I

IntrospectionFtw!

yh your right it is about managing there is no cure, i suppose i shoulda resigned to that by now and ultimately i have to take responsibilty for my condition, i guess ill continue to see how it goes off of the medication its a long shot and doesnt happen often but im not expecting perfection just something to work with and hopefully a improvement.

ive never heard voices mine has always been much more thought based
going off on tangents being confused talking nonsense terror sometimes mania
body hallucinations/movements places that lead to nowhere basically but make alot of sense at the time lol.

iffybob

iffybob

Thats OK

No prob, I have been at this over 20 years, I still have bad times, try and get by the best I can and make the alright times count...

I dont personaly like using the word "resigned" I prefer "accepting", I have limitations with what I can do, and what I can do with out help, I dont always stick to it, but I do try, and that is all anybody should expect.......

.... its a hard act.... boB....:)

M

maudikie

To introspection

I suggest that you keep on with your medication. A relapse is very difficult to handle, and if you feell the medication is not working properly the get an appointment with your Mental health team and ask for their advice.
Best wishes.

I

IntrospectionFtw!

question each time you relapse do you get worse? and deterioate more i mean ive read in some places that you do and i did change alot after my last episode which could explain the breakdown in memory and overall brain function, or is it just a case of you have your episode you take your meds after a few months and your ok because during my last episode i didnt think i was gonna get any better but i did, and i was ecstatic but obviously after a few months i started to dip again even while on the meds.

keepsafe

keepsafe

I wouldn;t start the abilify if I were you or start on the lowest dose of 5mg only if it was prescribed for you - guess you need to make a trip again to see your doctor unless you think that you are going to be better off without the medication.

KS

iffybob

iffybob

Ok

First , your body can start to accomadate meds, that is you need more to get the same affect, or they stop working, some have side affects like memory loss or decreased motor controle ( clumsynes ), and some are addictive so if you stop or change your meds you could have withdrawal symtems wich can make you feel like crap but wont kill you....

How you feel, during, before, after an episode varies, some episodes are worse than others, last longer etc.......

I find that some of it is , "here I go again" which is a depressing thought in itself. and that makes me feel worse.

does that help .........?

Q

quality factor

IMO you should seek advice from your local CMHT or GP.

QF.

I

IntrospectionFtw!

THe doctors prescribed the abilify but it was my suggestion since ive been on it in the past, i thought maybe the sedation of the olanzapine might have contributed to the memory loss. It may just be a case of going onto the abilify and everythings sorted, just getting abit sick of feeling drugged up all the time.

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
I am the world's worse to advise. I've done the same as you so am going through withdrawal symtoms. What I would say though is if you know you could become psychotic get advice from a psychiatrist. He might not agree with you coming off your meds but he should help you.
Good luck and I hope you keep well.
KP:hug:

A

Apotheosis

It's very complex I think. The fact is that no one really knows the full effects of these substances on brain function; let alone long term effects & withdrawal effects. It's not been many decades really that so many people have been pumped full of so many psychoactive & obviously powerful substances. Individual reactions appear to vary wildly. Some people appear to be able to stop psychiatric meds easily - & others not so. Length of usage, amounts, & variety of meds taken all have an effect on prognosis of successfully getting med free too. In many ways we are all part of a giant medical & social experiment; that's the truth of it; we are all guinea pigs.

In my own journey with meds. I successfully stopped them twice. 3rd time I was placed on them I haven't been able to successfully come off them. I do think that my brain has largely been made totally dependant on this drug to function (or the withdrawal/rebound effect when I withdraw from them, is so severe, that I am totally unable to function). The best compromise I have presently found has been to get to a minimum dose, & to stick to one drug.

Ideally I would have much preferred to have had the opportunity for comprehensive methods of genuinely therapeutic med free recovery - Sadly that is not available in the society we live in. I don't think there is in general much choice in these things.

Something that I think does need to be taken into account; that although it is definitely possible to get & to recover med free, (with proper support; & done carefully), it would appear, & there is some evidence to back it up, & I think someone touched on this as well; that if you keep stopping & messing around with meds - they become less effective at what they do.

I would say that there is a strong case to say that meds increase the symptomatology of what they are prescribed for; when in withdrawal from them. I do think that in this regard meds in general make people more ill. It would make sense, if this is the case, that by starting & stopping meds - we just make ourselves more ill.

It would be the ideal, I think; to not get dependant on these meds in the first place. failing that if we are on them & want to come off them; I would think it best to find as much social support & comprehensive help as possible to get off them, & to do so very gradually, carefully & with a comprehensive plan as to how to best do so. It can be very difficult to find such help. Consequently I try to accept taking a low dose of one med, & for the time being am sticking with it. One day, maybe, i can get off them.

http://theicarusproject.net/HarmReductionGuideComingOffPsychDrugs