• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Think I might have bipolar

cassgurl123

cassgurl123

I'm on antidepressants but I seem to be showing a lot of hypomania symptoms on them, I don't know if I've had these symptoms all along but have only just recently become aware of it or what. I keep getting into trouble at work for my behaviour sometimes aswell, I'm an 18 year old girl btw. I know how much doctors bate it when you diagnose yourself though, so how do I go about this?! :/

Silver

Silver

Go and see your GP and be honest about your symptoms. Maybe don't mention the words hypomania or bipolar.

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I would say go back to your GP and say that you are acting differently, giving examples and that you are worried because you aren't being yourself and then hopefully the GP will start asking questions hopefully and then go from then.

cassgurl123

cassgurl123

Could it be a sign of ADHD aswell?! The only thing is I seem to have only developed these symptoms since college, I think.. and isn't ADHD usually diagnosed as a kid?! Hm..

megirl

megirl

Certainly go back to your GP
May hopefully get you assessed by a pdoc
I dont have much confidence in GP's in relation to well especially mental illness.
I know with myself basically the pdoc put me on an antidepressant and she suggested that we would see in a fortnights time if my hypomanic symptoms increased or whatever I became more racey, anxious less sleep, with further assessments yep bipolar but hopefully you get diagnosed correctly and then the appropriate treatment can be commenced,
thinking of you

cassgurl123

cassgurl123

I will ring them today. Another thing that confuses me is that I wouldn't say I exactly feel "high" all the time, I certainly still have my down moments, I don't know if this is due to the antidepressant or what.. I've always felt like I'm either experiencing a mixed state or full on depressed state, altho I have had psychotic symptoms in the past.

cassgurl123

cassgurl123

Is it also possible that it could be hyperthyroidism, although I've had depressed states?! Did anyone else get tested for this before they made sure it was bipolar?! I have an appointment next week..

Silver

Silver

There are many other symptoms if it is your thyroid. It would be glaringly obvious if it was that. No i wasn't tested though.

ADHD you would have had from a child. It is a continuous thing that you would have identified before now. Again it is glaringly obvious.

Bipolar on the other hand comes and goes so is less obvious until it becomes very obvious. You could be in the early stages of it developing, i found the couple of years preceding the diagnosis were very unstable but not identifiable as bipolar. Maybe you are in that stage.

calypso

calypso

Admin
I would suggest you keep a mood diary and have a scale of 1-3 for "high" and minus 1-3 for depression. Remember, it will be subjective and so what you feel is manic or depressed might not fit a scale that docs know. But anti depressants can do this at times. Also anti depressants with the younger adults can be a mega problem, and so the doc needs to know you are getting symptoms.

Its a far cry from being diagnosed bipolar though, so don't jump on that too quickly, if I was you.

cassgurl123

cassgurl123

My doctor just prescribed me risperidone today along side zoloft. Is this combination used in bipolar?! He described me risperidone last april aswell but I stopped taking it after a month as I felt I didn't need it anymore, as my psychotic symptoms weren't that bad. Then I guess I felt alright for a while but the last couple of months I have definitely felt alot more hyper and on the go! I don't want to start taking it again tho as I don't feel like I need it to.

cassgurl123

cassgurl123

I just climbed up my nan and grandads roof to my bedroom window, fuck it was exhilarating lol!

M

mixedbipolar

I likewise was prescribed medication and my husband decided that I no longer needed to be on them. That was a huge mistake for me and I slipped into a years worth of clinical depression. I would only come off medication under the supervision of my doctor as the risks, for me, are far too high.

I wish you the best and hope that the medication will help you.

cassgurl123

cassgurl123

I didn't know where to post this but yeah I just got into a full blown argument with my younger brother and he told me to kill myself and take an overdose.. He said he's moving to America when he's older and he would kill me if he had the chance but he won't as it will ruin his chances of ever going to America. I know he probably said these things heated in the moment, I said some pretty horrid things too tbh but how do I deal with this right now.. I'm 19 and he's only 13 :/

cassgurl123

cassgurl123

I don't understand as my psychiatrist hasn't actually diagnosed me as "bipolar" at all or mentioned it to my face?
She has brought up "depression" tho which is frustrating as I'm definitely not suicidal no more.

Davey Blueeyes

Davey Blueeyes

Okay, I think safety is what is important right now. Are you safe?

Try not to worry too much about labels but you need to be talking to a psychiatrist about all this, okay?

I have bipolar II and when i'm in my depressed state I can't be bothered to kill myself, I mostly get suicidal during the final stages of a manic period because I get tired of it and often get dysphoric mania.

Good luck.