• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Think I made the wrong choice

MagicJay

MagicJay

So my foundation year in computing is coming to a end next month on passing I have choose the computing degree I want to go on next.

I've always been good with computers and when I applied for Uni that is what I was recommended to do I did say I was interested in psychology degree but they said with me having no experience it would be hard for me to get on, so I'm not sure this is even what I want to do :(. Maybe it's my BPD or just me I can never stick with an decision I always think about the negatives, what if I've got into this debt for something I'm not going even enjoy for the rest of my life. I don't even know who I am what I want to do I thought me going to uni was me getting my life together now I just think it was another one of my crazy ideas I never complete.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Give it a go if you dont get on can you maybe request to swap? I started a home learning computers degree and halfway through decided actually this ain't for me, I think its hard to know what is. I then went to do shit jobs then fell into retail and worked up into management and after 7 years walked from that too. I think its natural to change your mind about things. Just try not let it consume you, give it your best shot and if its not for you? So be it x

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
maybe you can do a lot of reading between now and september to see if it something you will be interested in.

katya

katya

So my foundation year in computing is coming to a end next month on passing I have choose the computing degree I want to go on next.

I've always been good with computers and when I applied for Uni that is what I was recommended to do I did say I was interested in psychology degree but they said with me having no experience it would be hard for me to get on, so I'm not sure this is even what I want to do :(. Maybe it's my BPD or just me I can never stick with an decision I always think about the negatives, what if I've got into this debt for something I'm not going even enjoy for the rest of my life. I don't even know who I am what I want to do I thought me going to uni was me getting my life together now I just think it was another one of my crazy ideas I never complete.
You're thinking about it in far too black-and-white a way; I can tell you that from someone who's done uni and am now in work. It won't affect how you enjoy the rest of your life. Yeah, it might open some doors and not help to open others, but you'll find a way of making what you want to happen work for you, even if it's with a bit of compromise. For example, my Second in Department at school (I'm an English teacher) has a psychology degree. Nothing to do with English; she just tried to change careers, and she ended up as an English teacher in a really high up position. Another English teacher has a music degree. Don't worry too much; you can't be expected to know for definite what you'll want to do for the rest of your life, and no-one expects you to. Apparently people change careers quite dramatically every 5 years statistically anyway.

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

I agree with jruth. I've had umpteen quite diverse jobs in my lifetime - the few I hated I quit after a couple of weeks. However having a degree helped me climb out from a very dark hole once - it's always worthwhile having qualifications of any kind: any degree is valuable and perhaps it really doesn't matter that much what subject it is in - unless you really want to be something specific like a vet of course. Computer expertise can be applied to a lot of different situations - as can psychology or something like business studies. You can always do a further qualification when you're older if you want a change of career - I retrained as a teacher when I was 40. Mind you I'm glad I stuck with that for 18 years because it allowed me to retire at 58 with sufficient pension to pay off my mortgage and survive.

katya

katya

I agree with jruth. I've had umpteen quite diverse jobs in my lifetime - the few I hated I quit after a couple of weeks. However having a degree helped me climb out from a very dark hole once - it's always worthwhile having qualifications of any kind: any degree is valuable and perhaps it really doesn't matter that much what subject it is in - unless you really want to be something specific like a vet of course. Computer expertise can be applied to a lot of different situations - as can psychology or something like business studies. You can always do a further qualification when you're older if you want a change of career - I retrained as a teacher when I was 40. Mind you I'm glad I stuck with that for 18 years because it allowed me to retire at 58 with sufficient pension to pay off my mortgage and survive.
Oooh, that's promising. :)

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

Oooh, that's promising. :)
Well I got £33000 lump sum and £8500pa from my teacher's pension but you wouldn't get that now at the same age because of them raising the retirement age. For the last 8 years I was teaching I was paying 15% of my gross salary towards my pension because I was paying for an additional one with the Prudential which gives me an extra £115 a month less tax.

L

lastresorts

I was always told a degree is showing an ability to learn to a certain level, and its not always necessary to study a specific subjedct

MagicJay

MagicJay

Thank you all for the advice better its just my bpd causing me to look at stuff black and white thinking again, I just don't want end up in a career I hate but with no way out, you've made very good points it doesn't have turn out that way.