• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

think i have anxiety but i'm too scared

S

sun123

hey so before I start I'd like to introduce my suspicions, my life etc in a more organised way so it's easier to understand.

-so firstly, I grew up as a "shy" child, labelled by all my teachers, parents, friends etc. I was studious and was always obedient, and my parents were quite strict and pushed me to do better. I have to admit I did many things well that I tried, most importantly academics. since I come from a culture that values academics it was a great thing for my parents to know and also my teachers were proud. but at the same time, I was a perfectionist and would get upset if something wasn't perfect, or I'd work for hours on something that didn't really matter.
-I was also an insomniac as a child, and I had trouble sleeping, many nightmares, or just got stressed due to the fact that it was late and *I couldn't sleep*.
-I always always the shy kid, and I absolutely hated public, I hated making new friends unless I was forced to. I don't think anyone suspected anything of this.
-ever since I was young I've had gastric problems, not really a medical condition but I just had a sensitive digestive system and I would get random pains due to stress, or worries.

so I still have these symptoms now, even though I'm much older now. as well as this, I grew to develop additional symptoms that I suspect may be anxiety, but honestly, I don't want to self-diagnose and be "overreacting". the symptoms I have are:
-cold hands and feet
-worrying about if I said something wrong
-always thinking about disaster (did someone bomb my friend? will the plane crash? but what if...? etc)
-hating public places or speaking to new people, or even people I already know because I don't like being awkward
-random stomach pains
-the need to always fidget or hold something
-I hate things that are even routine, such as walking off the bus at school
-I have a lot of relationship/friendship issues because i'm ALWAYS worried and concerned about things that are literally nothing
-sometimes i have a worried feeling but I'm not sure which trigger it is
-I have a wild imagination and many phobias??
-absolutely hating parties/crowds
-so clingy holy crap but only for one or two people who I've known for a while
-headaches and migraines whenever I get stressed
-so sensitive and easily offended

the problem is, I'm really high-functioning. and I get really good grades and I excel in a lot of things and my parents won't believe I have anything wrong with me. even though sometimes when they scold me they say things like I have a neurotic issue because I always think I'm getting blamed or attacked or that I'm too sensitive but they never think it's anything like anxiety. and people think I'm overreacting because I still have a decent life. but honestly I don't have an easy life on the inside. still, I could just be a stressed, sensitive person. I'm not sure though.

B

Boudicca

I have some of the anxiety symptoms that you have. I get migraines and stress headaches also. I catastrophise all the time. I’m sensitive too and things can upset me really quickly. I too feel like I’m getting blamed and attacked. I’m restless and fidgety too and always hug my pillow because I feel so insecure. I’m a very sensitive person. If you need someone to chat to! I’m here!!

M

Manda74

I suffer Aniexty, my worst symptom is the lumpi get in between my ribs. Then it just takes over me, head aches, crying, numbness in face and i to cuddle my pillow x Im medicated and on a high dose of anti depressent. When im feeling good im good but when im bad im bad. No happy medium x
I lost my Mum 18 years ago and 6 mths after my husband. My life has never been the same, if i could manage the aniexty my life would be good.
i have a lovely home, 2 grandaughters, 2 pooches a boyfriend of 7 years and 2 sons x i have to cope through it x
Dont be afraid there are so many people with this awful illness, i wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy x please see the dr xx

J

Julie41

I suffer Aniexty, my worst symptom is the lumpi get in between my ribs. Then it just takes over me, head aches, crying, numbness in face and i to cuddle my pillow x Im medicated and on a high dose of anti depressent. When im feeling good im good but when im bad im bad. No happy medium x
I lost my Mum 18 years ago and 6 mths after my husband. My life has never been the same, if i could manage the aniexty my life would be good.
i have a lovely home, 2 grandaughters, 2 pooches a boyfriend of 7 years and 2 sons x i have to cope through it x
Dont be afraid there are so many people with this awful illness, i wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy x please see the dr xx
Hi Manda
I too have anxiety badly at the moment
Also, like you have lost people dear to me in the past & very recently. Since January 2020 I’ve had the worst time ever - never felt anxiety like this before even though I’ve been on meds for many years
I’ve had CBT which finished in april
I’ve learnt a lot with techniques of breathing, distraction & positive thinking
But some days nothing works!!! Does this happen to you ??? Today I cannot motivate myself - woke at 4am in a panic, shaky, hot/cold, scared, dread & burning skin also lightheaded
I’ve tried several times today to get on with my sewing ( which is my job at home)
But ended up twice laying on the bed with the fan on as even the heat is making me anxious - feel a failure because I can’t cope all the time
X

M

Manda74

Hi Julie,

I have had counselling, but my aniexty has never left me, some days my aniexty is completley out of my control and i literally have to go to bed. I sometimes cant sleep with it as i cant relax. It makes me feel empty, and im very jumpy.
I was getting on ok, and feel the lock down has set me back, and the more people i speak to im hearing the sane thing. We are not failures, things that have happened in our lifes have worn us down and i think our mind and body cant take it any more - that leads us to panic attacks. I wish i was stronger, mentally but ive tried and i cant do it. I get so emotional and upset and i know i stew on things but its who i am. To look at me i look fine, and alot of people are shocked as i was so out going.
One thing that can help me is having an ice lolly, crazy i know but the coldness calms me abit xxx much love honey x

J

Julie41

Thank you Manda for replying - honestly it does help to know that you’re not the only one X
I too feel I should be stronger !!
I can’t seem to get to grip with all the physical symptoms it just makes me worse
I find it really hard to get it into my head that if I worry & dwell on things then it will cause all these physical Sensations & mind problems - seems so extreme 😱
Some days I just can’t cope - don’t know why ! I have just managed to eat for the first time today - as also get nausea-
My family do know my struggles - some are ok but others just think you have to think positive !! ( if only it was that easy) I hide it as much as l can to people I don’t know - the smiles & laughs are just a front as I’m usually trying to run away
I should be happy - I have a lovely husband who tries his best but it’s hard to talk to someone who has no idea what this is & what it puts you through
Hoping for a little better day tomorrow
🤞xxx

E

Eirlys

hey so before I start I'd like to introduce my suspicions, my life etc in a more organised way so it's easier to understand.

-so firstly, I grew up as a "shy" child, labelled by all my teachers, parents, friends etc. I was studious and was always obedient, and my parents were quite strict and pushed me to do better. I have to admit I did many things well that I tried, most importantly academics. since I come from a culture that values academics it was a great thing for my parents to know and also my teachers were proud. but at the same time, I was a perfectionist and would get upset if something wasn't perfect, or I'd work for hours on something that didn't really matter.
-I was also an insomniac as a child, and I had trouble sleeping, many nightmares, or just got stressed due to the fact that it was late and *I couldn't sleep*.
-I always always the shy kid, and I absolutely hated public, I hated making new friends unless I was forced to. I don't think anyone suspected anything of this.
-ever since I was young I've had gastric problems, not really a medical condition but I just had a sensitive digestive system and I would get random pains due to stress, or worries.

so I still have these symptoms now, even though I'm much older now. as well as this, I grew to develop additional symptoms that I suspect may be anxiety, but honestly, I don't want to self-diagnose and be "overreacting". the symptoms I have are:
-cold hands and feet
-worrying about if I said something wrong
-always thinking about disaster (did someone bomb my friend? will the plane crash? but what if...? etc)
-hating public places or speaking to new people, or even people I already know because I don't like being awkward
-random stomach pains
-the need to always fidget or hold something
-I hate things that are even routine, such as walking off the bus at school
-I have a lot of relationship/friendship issues because i'm ALWAYS worried and concerned about things that are literally nothing
-sometimes i have a worried feeling but I'm not sure which trigger it is
-I have a wild imagination and many phobias??
-absolutely hating parties/crowds
-so clingy holy crap but only for one or two people who I've known for a while
-headaches and migraines whenever I get stressed
-so sensitive and easily offended

the problem is, I'm really high-functioning. and I get really good grades and I excel in a lot of things and my parents won't believe I have anything wrong with me. even though sometimes when they scold me they say things like I have a neurotic issue because I always think I'm getting blamed or attacked or that I'm too sensitive but they never think it's anything like anxiety. and people think I'm overreacting because I still have a decent life. but honestly I don't have an easy life on the inside. still, I could just be a stressed, sensitive person. I'm not sure though.
Hi, if you're anxiety is making you miserable then you're not overreacting. I can very much relate to you saying that being high functioning makes it difficult to deal with anxiety as you just carry on despite really struggling. I was so depressed due to my anxiety through my first semester at university and ended up being put on medication, but through this I was still getting firsts and being sociable. If you want to get help due to feeling like it is having a negative impact on your life (even if from the outside it doesn't look like it) then do. Hope this was helpful :)

M

Manda74

Thank you Manda for replying - honestly it does help to know that you’re not the only one X
I can’t seem to get to grip with all the physical symptoms it just makes me worse
I find it really hard to get it into my head that if I worry & dwell on things then it will cause all these physical Sensations & mind problems - seems so extreme 😱
Some days I just can’t cope - don’t know why ! I have just managed to eat for the first time today - as also get nausea-
My family do know my struggles - some are ok but others just think you have to think positive !! ( if only it was that easy) I hide it as much as l can to people I don’t know - the smiles & laughs are just a front as I’m usually trying to run away
I should be happy - I have a lovely husband who tries his best but it’s hard to talk to someone who has no idea what this is & what it puts you through
🤞xxx
🤞xxx
Ahh honey, im the same nausea and bad tum. My partner doesnt understand atall, and because of that im sometimes more anxious. He will ask whats wrong and all i ever say is my aniexty is bad, he sometimes goes on and on at me.
Try and relax and have a good sleep, i know its hard. Im here if you need to talk, we can try help each other xx