Things i wish i knew earlier (positive post)

J

johnram

Hi all,

just thought i would share some thoughts, I sometimes get annoyed with myself, and i wish the following:

- that i had had a better first therapist and that she would have said i had cPTSD
- that i knew this would take a while to overcome
- that i had the courage to explain and understand what was going on for me, rather than avoid friends and ruin relationships
- had not wasted so much on some of my addictions

However, as i sit here today, planning ahead, i am grateful for:

- now being able to identify the patterns as cPTSD
- finding this and another forum to ask questions, and some really useful podcasts and youtube channels that i can really relate to
- through that, accepting parts of myself as a work in progress
- accepting other parts of myself
- appreciating i need to put myself first now (I default to saving the world and not my own sanity)
- realising that it isnt a life sentence and i can change (the biggest plus)

this journey is far from easy, but its needed, very needed and i am glad its getting its space (as well as my inner child - as much as i find it hard using that term)

anyway, wishing you all well

M

Marie07

cPTSD...? What's the c mean, if I may ask ?

J

johnram

Complex
refers to either repeted trauma, or developmental trauma
luckily, i have both
i jest

write

write

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Is complex ptsd x sorry John, just seen we posted at a same time, and sorry butted in on your thread x

M

Marie07

Complex
refers to either repeted trauma, or developmental trauma
luckily, i have both
i jest
Thanks for that. I've been diagnosed with PTSD I think I mine needs a c. Mines repeated.
I can relate to much of what you are saying and it's a constant battle.
I'm gonna give you a lame lol high 5 and tell ya to keep up the good fight. Somedays are better then others. I've shut myself away from the cause, I'm not sure if it helps me feel better or like a quitter. I'm just gonna keep getting up every day and pray for a break thru!
Smiles.

J

johnram

Hi Marie,
so i have had therapists, treting me for addictions and depression etc, but once i learnt and subsequently got diagnosed as cPSTD, it makes sense after reading more into it, as it has lots of specific traits

there is a specific forum here for PTSD

i would recommend Pete Walkers book on cPTSD, it came highly recommended to me, and i am finding it exceptional - only 1/3 way through

but as a starter, have a look at his site

he is a survivor turned therapist

pete-walker.com

M

Marie07

Thank you, much appreciated. ;)