• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

Things I don't like about having a mental illness

GaryC123

GaryC123

1. I feel like I'm every father's worst nightmare for their daughter to end up marrying. So I don't bother dating.

2. I'm on disability but could theoretically work for a living doing something extremely menial. So I feel shame because I'm not pulling my own weight. I just couldn't afford to both eat and buy meds at the same time if I worked. It would be either one or the other.

3. My family and friends always ask me if I took my meds last night.

4. It's difficult to have a full erection.

5. No matter what happens. No matter how good it gets I can't feel joy and no matter how bad it gets, I can't cry. I feel dull and devoid of emotion or vitality most of the time.

6. I'm afraid of having a psychotic episode and tempting a police officer to shoot me.

7. No matter how bad I think I have it, there is always someone in the world who is worse off. So I feel like I can't even complain about having a mental illness.

8. Sane people think I can just "snap out of it".

9. Not having health insurance is NOT an option I can afford to risk.

10. There's no cure. It's a life sentence.

Feel free to add anything you can think of to the list.

M

Mert

To counter these negatives, how about a list of positives what you are grateful for? i challenge you to come up with ten positive affirmations about yourself. that could lift your mood maybe? i know how you feel, i am on medication and on soc sec disability and cant work. i hate it that i cant handle even a simple job to work at now. i used to work but that was over 1 1/2 years ago. hang in there and i hope this helps you. Positive affirmations are like so:

M

Mert

positive affirmations I feel (joy, happiness, etc ) as I (future event ex walk across the stage at graduation or whatever. feeling, positive message, future event or present I feel energized right now.

N

Nukelavee

No matter how bad I think I have it, there is always someone in the world who is worse off. So I feel like I can't even complain about having a mental illness.
It's relative - sure, some people have it worse, but that doesn't mean you've got it easy. You've a right to express the things that bother you.

M

Mert

I appreciate your reply and you are absolutely right. i have a terrible life and cant even go out of the house due to agoraphobia, so i am stuck inside. i can barely take a shower. the whole purpose of the forum i think is to express things that bother you and get support and to realize you are not alone. i think you are right and i agree with you Mert :)

GaryC123

GaryC123

To counter these negatives, how about a list of positives what you are grateful for? i challenge you to come up with ten positive affirmations about yourself. that could lift your mood maybe? i know how you feel, i am on medication and on soc sec disability and cant work. i hate it that i cant handle even a simple job to work at now. i used to work but that was over 1 1/2 years ago. hang in there and i hope this helps you. Positive affirmations are like so:
I'm grateful for a lot of things. I'm grateful I live in a 1st world country. I'm grateful I have a roof over my head, clothes on my back, and food to eat. I'm grateful my parents are alive and well and grateful that they help me out so much. I'm grateful that my physical health is generally pretty good (save for sleep apnea, a bad back, and irritation in my stomach). I'm grateful for NAMI because I have made friends or acquaintances with a lot of other people who are diagnosed. Otherwise, I would probably have continued to isolate around "normal" people.

Wow! That does kind of make me feel a bit better. Good call, Mert! :)

K

Kittylove

1. I feel like I'm every father's worst nightmare for their daughter to end up marrying. So I don't bother dating.

2. I'm on disability but could theoretically work for a living doing something extremely menial. So I feel shame because I'm not pulling my own weight. I just couldn't afford to both eat and buy meds at the same time if I worked. It would be either one or the other.

3. My family and friends always ask me if I took my meds last night.

5. No matter what happens. No matter how good it gets I can't feel joy and no matter how bad it gets, I can't cry. I feel dull and devoid of emotion or vitality most of the time.

6. I'm afraid of having a psychotic episode and tempting a police officer to shoot me.

7. No matter how bad I think I have it, there is always someone in the world who is worse off. So I feel like I can't even complain about having a mental illness.

8. Sane people think I can just "snap out of it".

9. Not having health insurance is NOT an option I can afford to risk.

10. There's no cure. It's a life sentence.

Feel free to add anything you can think of to the list.
That sounds like a lot of negatives. But I bet you have plenty of positives.:hug:

LittleMissNameless

LittleMissNameless

I just wanted to say that I understand this so well, nobody talks about how awful this feels, (I mean Im not a guy but on my meds I am unable to orgasm at all).

I once told my friend about it and they all laughed and said "I'd go off them for that reason alone" but if I go off them I'll probably kill myself.

They didnt mean offence but it made me feel even worse. Its just another thing that pushes me to stop taking them

R

rawlinsc

I have dated women that have some of the same problems I do. My last date and some of my ex girlfriends have had a mental health diagnosis. If I date someone in the same boat we can't judge each other. I have not had a lot of luck in love but it's worth trying.

GaryC123

GaryC123

I have dated women that have some of the same problems I do. My last date and some of my ex girlfriends have had a mental health diagnosis. If I date someone in the same boat we can't judge each other. I have not had a lot of luck in love but it's worth trying.
Yes. I have tried that with some luck but in the end, both I and the women I briefly dated were so messed up that there was just no chance to have much of a successful relationship. Too many obstacles (most of them mine).

R

Rain76

I just wanted to say that I understand this so well, nobody talks about how awful this feels, (I mean Im not a guy but on my meds I am unable to orgasm at all).

I once told my friend about it and they all laughed and said "I'd go off them for that reason alone" but if I go off them I'll probably kill myself.

They didnt mean offence but it made me feel even worse. Its just another thing that pushes me to stop taking them
I thought I was the only female this happened to... I feel like I'm raping myself whenever I try to have sex. I know that's a strong word but it feels physically awful ☹

M

Mert

I'm grateful for a lot of things. I'm grateful I live in a 1st world country. I'm grateful I have a roof over my head, clothes on my back, and food to eat. I'm grateful my parents are alive and well and grateful that they help me out so much. I'm grateful that my physical health is generally pretty good (save for sleep apnea, a bad back, and irritation in my stomach). I'm grateful for NAMI because I have made friends or acquaintances with a lot of other people who are diagnosed. Otherwise, I would probably have continued to isolate around "normal" people.

Wow! That does kind of make me feel a bit better. Good call, Mert! :)

Faith198

Faith198

I thought I was the only female this happened to... I feel like I'm raping myself whenever I try to have sex. I know that's a strong word but it feels physically awful ☹
I feel this too. It’s awful. The first antidepressant I took caused problems and of course I was in a relationship at the time. 😔 Pretty much every single one I’ve taken has made me not want to be intimate. It sucks. I’m also on the pill too so it’s even more of a double whammy. I don’t feel many are understanding about it

M

Mert

Gary,
What a greaat post! Do you go to the NAMI online meetings on zoom? I went to one last night and it was helpful. They have 2 every week where i live. Maybe check it out if you never have or are curious. Mert :)

GaryC123

GaryC123

Yes. I do some volunteer work for NAMI Greater Orlando. We had a meeting last night as well on Zoom. We have Zoom meetings every Tuesday and Thursday.