• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

there are waiting lists and waiting lists

pentagram

pentagram

I have been on the waiting list to get EMDR for 15 months now.

I went to my GP last tuesday 30th december with a pain in the roof of my mouth. Gp said due to your history (I have had mouth cancer before, 11 years ago) she said she'd put me forward to get it looked at. I am visiting the cancer unit at hospital on wednesday 7th jan.

Maybe I should describe the PTSD pains in my mind and body as a form of cancer eating away at my desire to live with it.

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

15 months is a shocking amount of time to be waiting for any type of therapy! I hope that you don't have to wait too much longer.

I hope too that your appointment goes okay on Wednesday and that all is well. :hug1:

pentagram

pentagram

I am really hoping my mouth is not cancerous, I don't think I could stand the treatment for it again.

I'll report back as soon as I know.

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

It must be a big worry for you at the moment but, yes, let us know how you get on :hug1:

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I'm hoping it's the best possible outcome with your mouth issues and that it's not cancerous. :hug1:

Also, i'm sorry that you're still waiting for so long for EMDR.

pentagram

pentagram

It's all OK folks, my mouth thingy is just some orrible infection which should go away with time. No cancer there, phew, I am glad about that. The last time I got this problem it was cancer so its good to know this time it isn't.

Now all the NHS has to do is to find me an EMDR therapist, though I am now losing all hope of ever having it. How come the psychologist recommended me for this treatment in October 2013 but nothing ever happens. Maybe it is a new government initiative to hope that depressed people commit suicide before ever receiving help thereby saving money.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Oh i'm pleased that your mouth issue isn't anything cancerous. Thank goodness. :hug1:

As for the EDMR - can you not find a therapist and get the funding from the NHS, or doesn't it work like that?

pentagram

pentagram

18 months and still...............

Do you think it would be kinder to me just to say it will never happen or it may happen in the next 2 months or so just to get some idea of the fact that I still appear on their waiting list.

pentagram

pentagram

just been told it will be at least another 6-9 months before I get treatment. Apparently there is only 1 EMDR therapist who works for the NHS in my bit of the world.

The advice I have been given is to try and find a private therapist who will charge for their services.

I have checked locally, nearest is 40 miles away and charges £115 per hour. How can they charge so much?

Another who only charges £40 an hour which is affordable but he lives 65 miles away.

Looks like I am stuck

catkin

catkin

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I suppose it depends how reliable the estimate of at least 6-9 months is, if you've waited 18 mths so far, can you wait for more months? I think they need to offer some interim support while waiting so long. I know that emdr was recommended to me years ago, but the only route was private which is soooo unrealistic cost wise.
I don't know, stay on the waiting list and keep contacting each month to see where things are up to?
Waiting times are so long now, unless you accept 6 weeks CBT cure all. Here they've stopped having waiting lists, all that means is that there is now no estimate at all of waiting times.
Hope you get what you need eventually x

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

That is really reeeally rubbish.
As if you haven't waited long enough, they tell you you'll be waiting for months and months longer. :sorry:
Thank goodness you're managing to get through it. Honestly, it makes you wonder how they expect people to hold on for so long when they're desperate.

I think that rate for a private therapist is extortionate. I understand these people need to make a living, but it's a wonder they get any clients at all when they charge that much.

Hang on in there.. xx