• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Therapy too dangerous - anyone else?

R

rowland

In a nutshell I was diagnosed bp1 in 1988 aged 18 after a psychotic episode triggered by my mothers suicide (she was schizophrenic). Have had numerous hospital admissions over the years. There is always a recurrent theme to my depressions involving the emotions associated with the loss and circumstances of my mothers death.

I have a really good psych now, who I have been seeing since 2006. She referred me to be assessed by a clinical psychologist to see if therapy to deal with these issues would be an option. This assessment was low level every 2 months for an hour over a year. Basically it was concluded by the clinical psychologist in partnership with my psychiatrist deciding that therapy in itself would lead to an episode.

My coping mechanism of disassociation with memories and emotions was or is in effect what keeps me well.

I feel somewhat cheated by life, almost as if I am beyond repair. Too much of a risk to help.

Just wondered if anyone else has ever been told that therapy in itself was a risk to their mental health?

iffybob

iffybob

It happens

It does happen, I was told that to treat some aspects of my disorders would trigger me in other ways, and lead to a breakdown of my coping mechanisms ........

schiz01

schiz01

every 2 months for an hour over a year
That sounds like a cop out and could in fact be more damaging.To bring up a deeply rooted problem in an hour session and then have no follow up support for 2 months????

I don't know all i can speak of is from my own personal experience.
When I delve deep into these things I see my therapist weekly and I don't think that's enough.In between sessions I read books, research and recently have been attending self help groups where we all talk about and share our problems together as a group...this forum is yet another tool that I use.
I feel I am finally getting somewhere and have made some real progress of late.
That said
Going back 20 years ago I was psychoanalyzed for 3 months solid when locked in a psych ward only to be kicked out on the street with no answers or follow up support....Just dosed up on meds.I felt like had been torn apart,mentally raped and left to die in the gutter.So yes it can be damaging and there are suppose to be laws in place to prevent this from happening these days.
If there is an underlying problem that is affecting you and you don't address it.It wont go away ...some people learn to live with and deal with these things in there own way.They say we have a natural tendency to be able to repair our selves over time (time heals all wounds) but this is not always the case and some of us who have suffered severe trauma for instance need help in working through things

Jungian therapists and someone please correct me if I am wrong recommend daily therapy for as long as it takes ....up to 2 years in some cases.

schiz01

schiz01

Below is a copy and paste from

http://www.jungcircle.com/depression.html

Avoid any therapies which aim to control, repress, or manipulatethe unconscious, since this can backfire or amplify the depression, if its cause is a buried trauma, unresolved grief, deep-seated conflict, or latent psychosis. Avoid 'rebirthing', since it can push an unstable person into psychosis. Stay clear of 'positive thinking' methods, or simplistic techniques, counselling and theories, since they fail to do justice to the complexity of thepsyche and do not honour the unavoidable demands of the unconscious. Be wary of distanced, clinical, hurried, authoritarian, or cerebral practitioners. Just as a plant needs nurturing and care, so the therapist (as a 'servant of soul') needs to be a kind, respectful, non-controlling, intuitive, natural, imaginative and patient midwife to soul's journeys.

Always seek an initial evaluation by a practitioner who works from a soul-centred psychiatric perspective, which honours emotional, individual and psychospiritual values and needs. This will allow for a reliable assessment of whether the depression is primarily a psychospiritual response, or whether nutritional and/or exercise factors play the prominent role. If you wish to avoid anti-depressant drugs, be wary of consultations with GPs and psychiatrists who have no time to listen to your personal story, or who try to convince you that depression is a 'chemical imbalance' that can be 'treated' with drugs. Also, bear in mind that GPs and biologic psychiatrists (which Medicare funds) are not trained, or qualified to offer soul-centred psychotherapy for acute psychospiritual crises, conflicts, depression or trauma.

schiz01

schiz01

Here's another site worth checking out http://www.algalves.com/

I am reading one of his books at the moment called Lighten Up Dance With Your Dark Side

Its very good and I would recommend it

In regards to my initial post

Maybe a slow and steady approach is best...You are obviously not in crisis (experiencing psychosis) and I am unaware of your financial position ,If you are on meds ect...If you are relying on government funded help there is limited help available ....that's why I said "it sounds like a cop out".I get frustrated at the lack of support and help available to people suffering from mental health problems.

It would be nice to go away on a nice little 6 month holiday and come back all better but that's not really an option for most of us.

So I guess my advice would be to take it slowly educate yourself as much as possible and arm yourself with the knowledge necessary to communicate/understand and work with your therapist.
Your therapist is only there to help you help yourself.They cannot fix you....only you can do that.

All the best
And may your journey into self discovery be a positive one

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
You need to have much more regular therapy and support alongside it. I would speak to your psychiatrist again about it ifyou want to carry on.
Take care
KP

W

warriorprincess

so glad i've seen this this is how thy're planning on treating me thanks for all the great advice schiz01
nufflove x

R

rowland

That sounds like a cop out and could in fact be more damaging.To bring up a deeply rooted problem in an hour session and then have no follow up support for 2 months????

I don't know all i can speak of is from my own personal experience.
When I delve deep into these things I see my therapist weekly and I don't think that's enough.In between sessions I read books, research and recently have been attending self help groups where we all talk about and share our problems together as a group...this forum is yet another tool that I use.
I feel I am finally getting somewhere and have made some real progress of late.
That said
Going back 20 years ago I was psychoanalyzed for 3 months solid when locked in a psych ward only to be kicked out on the street with no answers or follow up support....Just dosed up on meds.I felt like had been torn apart,mentally raped and left to die in the gutter.So yes it can be damaging and there are suppose to be laws in place to prevent this from happening these days.
If there is an underlying problem that is affecting you and you don't address it.It wont go away ...some people learn to live with and deal with these things in there own way.They say we have a natural tendency to be able to repair our selves over time (time heals all wounds) but this is not always the case and some of us who have suffered severe trauma for instance need help in working through things

Jungian therapists and someone please correct me if I am wrong recommend daily therapy for as long as it takes ....up to 2 years in some cases.
Hi Schiz,

The bi-monthly meeting with the psychologist over a period of a year were simply to assess suitability for therapy and in their opinion I'm not suitable, would be likely to relapse.

I am stable atm, have been since xmas. This assessment was done in my previous spell of stability.

I suppose I would just like to lay the ghosts to rest that pervade through my depressions. I have considered going private but at this moment in time it is not an option (I'm a mature student). I have been dx 22 years so am not new to bp and it's relentless ability to bite you on the backside. Life is a gamble, a risk - whether laying those ghosts to rest for my own peace of mind is worth losing my stability is a question I don't know the answer to.

As a further...my cpn suggested I would be suitable to join a therapeutic community, which in my opinion was ott, 5 days a week for 2 years.
Thanks for all your replies.

Last edited:
ally41

ally41

OMG! I can't believe that they have colluded to deny you the opportunity to live a healthy life rather than provide you with a safe environment in which to explore and ultimately eradicate your demons! This sounds like neglect and an absolute disgrace to me, how are you ever supposed to get better and get through the other side of what's been a horribly damaging childhood unless you can look it in the face? Getting worse before you get better is an acknowledged side effect of therapy as you come face to face with your issues, but it's not a good reason to condemn yourself to a life of mental illness. I really hope that you eventually get a health professional who will take responsibility for giving you the safety you need in therapy. xx

iffybob

iffybob

Does

It does hapen , esp if you have no support on the outside, like family, and if re-hablitation takes a long time, or they dont have the resources.

But the only answer you get from the services will be a blunt 'no', they dont feel they should explain them selves, that would open them up for being accused of neglecting the care of us.

Right now I have been waiting to be seen for 7 mounths for an assessment , it could happen that they just refuse tooffer me treament, or put me on another waiting list for just as long if not longer.

amathus

amathus

My psychiatrist suggested psychodynamic therapy for me, but in consultation with my CPN they decided no...
I have not been stable for a while now....we are talking years not months, so i'm left to flounder....

meteos.