Therapy ending - feels like a bereavement

S

so sad

Hi

So I've been having DBT therapy for 12 months and in 2 weeks time it ends. I've been attending group therapy every week for 2.5 hours and seeing a therapist for 1 hour every week.
I'm so upset that its ending. Although I have learnt a lot of skills, I'm not where I thought I would be and feel like such a failure as a result.
The biggest issue is losing the group and my therapist (more my therapist). I might be able to stay in contact with 1 or 2 from the group but to lose my relationship with the therapist is really distressing me. It feels like I'm working up to a bereavement and its awful.
I don't know what to do to manage this. I just want to run away. There is nothing in place when all of this finishes and I don't get much support from elsewhere so I feel completely alone and a bit abandoned.
I wish I could just shut off these feelings and not care. I'm angry at myself for agreeing to do it in the first place. I should have done I'd fail and I really should have known I would get attached to my therapist - I've set myself up for a huge fall.

x

Foxjo

Foxjo

It is completely normal to feel this way, i have been there too. Your right it is like a bereavement and you need to grieve a little. Your therapist will be aware that this process happens and should have started preparing you for the end of the relationship. If not have you still got time to bring this up with them?

I know its scary being thrown back into life with no support but try and remember the skills they have taught you. it will be up to you now to put those in practice. The way i looked at it was if i was getting bad thoughts i would think to myself- what would my therapist suggest i do?. Then i would try and put that into practice.

I know its not easy. Remember you have this forum for support too. It has been a life saver to me being able to talk with others that understand.
Keep talking
Hugs
Fox

sadpunchingbag

sadpunchingbag

I can relate spent 1 year in therapy with this girl more so a friend to talk to which i had inner conflict about but when it ended i felt like my heart was ripped out you share your most intense experiences from a baby now its finished