Therapy Career question - takes one to know one

J

johnram

I have sat infront of many a therapist, they dont get it, or they do to some degree, but rarely do they get the depth and nuances. Its why i find these forums exceptional, people understand, they may have a different approach (always useful) but its welcome.

In this world, with all the bad that goes on, and even though my parents used me and in some ways made me "a giver", having now understand more and more what happened to me, and why i have cPTSD symptoms and associated problems, i feel i want to help in the future as a therapist.

Keen to take views and thoughts to that question?

Additionally though, i keep reading and have been told qualified therapists dont earn much, now as an aside, that isnt my motivation but it does matter, and i am really confused as i see therapists charging fair money in my opinion, and appreciate they may not see more than say 25-30 clients a week, but suprised they dont earn sufficiently (someone else said this again recently to me)

anyway, i am rambling, but just wanted some thoughts

thank you

pepecat

pepecat

If you're in the UK, pretty much anyone can start talking to people - with no qualifications - and call themselves a 'therapist'.

If you want to be credible, then you'd need some sort of qualification - usually postgrad, which will get you registration with either the UKCP or BACP, which are the two regulatory bodies for therapists in the UK. You can then either work privately, or with an organisation, or the NHS. I think pay might be slightly better if you go private (independent), but then you've got to build up a client base, and that can take time.

I doubt therapists would see 25 -30 clients a week; it would be emotionally exhausting, for one thing, but they also have to make time to write notes, and see their own therapist for supervision.

megirl

megirl

I have to say I am quite judgemental in regards to someone's qualifications and approach.
Only because I've had a few very bad experiences.
But as an inpatient I was referred to a psychologist paid for by the health board, who challenged me if my support worker wasn't there with me would have walked out but kind of couldn't as was under the mental health act. But once I started telling her stuff she was awesome

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

I think becoming a therapist would be great.I also think the "wounded healers" are the most helpful,compassionate ones.

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

I call my therapist a "therapist" because I have had years of therapy with him.He's actually a psychologist and his fee is $200 for a 50 minute session.

At that rate he wouldn't need a high amount of clients to make a decent living.I think money is important in deciding on a career but I think something that is desired and one's calling is more important.

J

johnram

I call my therapist a "therapist" because I have had years of therapy with him.He's actually a psychologist and his fee is $200 for a 50 minute session.

At that rate he wouldn't need a high amount of clients to make a decent living.I think money is important in deciding on a career but I think something that is desired and one's calling is more important.
for me, its about deeply understanding the journey myself and wanting to be there for others, when so many dont understand