• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Therapist video records therapy sessions without consent.

Soladwor

Soladwor

Sorry, but I need to vent.
I have nobody else that I want to share this with.

I was recommended to see a therapist by my parents. Even I knew I needed one. I don't have any friends, have been unemployed for some time, and I just knew I needed and wanted to talk to someone. Someone who won't judge, who will listen, provide feedback. Well, a few days ago was my 6th or 7th appointment with this therapist. I shared some very intimate stories with this person over the course of those sessions. Stories that I don't share with anybody else.

I've had social anxiety for 15+ years. My social skills obviously aren't the greatest as I'm an introvert and have been for a long time. I don't really talk with my parents about my problems, and I don't have any friends, nor anybody else that I really talk to. I admitted myself to the emergency room around 2 years ago which later resulted in a week-long psych ward stay. I liked to experiment with different drugs back then. I was quite self destructive. Till this day I feel very ashamed of that day in the ER. I've made a clown out of myself. Since then I've cleaned up my act, haven't taken any substances at all. I don't smoke, nor drink even. I started to read self-help books, exercise daily, run, meditate.

So now let's return to topic.
My therapist told me in our last session that she video records all of our therapy sessions. I was flabbergasted when I heard that. She acted like this wasn't a big deal. I basically spilled my entire pathetic life story onto her. If I had known about this, I would've never bothered with continuing. The point of having a therapist is so that you can be honest with your feelings while knowing that the client/patient is always protected by various privacy laws. The fact that she video recorded me without ever telling me, nor asking for consent is making me want to sue her practice.

Can someone share some input on this?

A

Am33

I would ask for what purpose does she do that ? Is it to protect herself from lawsuits and no one would ever see it ? or is it to share with others for study .She should have asked for your consent first .

E

Elisante

I'm pretty sure that's illegal. Did she make you sign anything?

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I agree with elisante I’m pretty sure its illegal without your consent. Did you do research into her qualifications as there are different levels from a degree to a short course. Tell her you want it all deleting and you want written confirmation that this will not be used. And if possible contact her superiors. I’m not sure where abouts you are but google how to make a complaint .
I’m seeding a psychologist at the moment and because i couldnt tell her what had happened i wrote it all down and she has asked permission to use it in training sessions but she said my identity would not be compromised. As there was nothing to give my ID away i gave permission

Talina

Talina

That should be illegal if you haven’t given your consent of being recorded. At least I know in my country it’s illegal to tape a person without a written consent from you. Even if you give consent you have the right to take it back, even if it’s going to be use for research or study purpose.

M

Mistral

Actually I do not think it is illegal in the UK to record somebody without their consent, if it is to confirm with that person and only that person, details of what was said. It cannot be shared with anybody or used in evidence in court unless under circumstances as far as I know Whether it is ethical is another question.

I would mention your concerns to the therapist and ask about the legalities of it. She will probably be able to quote the law on it. I would get it in writing if she does and if you have any doubts seek legal advice on the matter.

P

Pollypop

I think it is illegal if you have not given any kind of permission.
If not, it is at least immoral.

Are you seeing this person privately or a person of a mental health sector.
If private, check the qualifications.
If a mental health sector, you can make an official complaint.

Ask why recordings have been done.
Get a thorough explanation.

When I found out some of my conversations had been given at
a meeting (verbally) to people including unqualified people,
I was given the answer “They have to learn”

Totally unacceptable.
I wish I had been in a stable enough mental state to complain.

M

Mistral

I think this is a case where most people think it should be illegal but in fact it is not. I have seen the matter discussed on business forums. There it has been discussed in connection with some one covertly recording a business meeting or an employee covertly recording and employer and vice versa. It depends on what is the intent of the recording and what is done with it. If it is only for confirming the what was said during the conversation, then the consensus is that it is not illegal. In a therapy context, the therapist might belong to a professional body which allows recording without consent or at least does not prohibit it. There are many professional bodies and trade associations that a therapist can be a member of and no doubt they all have different codes of conduct. Also the therapist might not belong to any professional body.

C

Coolname

Sorry, but I need to vent.
I have nobody else that I want to share this with.

I was recommended to see a therapist by my parents. Even I knew I needed one. I don't have any friends, have been unemployed for some time, and I just knew I needed and wanted to talk to someone. Someone who won't judge, who will listen, provide feedback. Well, a few days ago was my 6th or 7th appointment with this therapist. I shared some very intimate stories with this person over the course of those sessions. Stories that I don't share with anybody else.

I've had social anxiety for 15+ years. My social skills obviously aren't the greatest as I'm an introvert and have been for a long time. I don't really talk with my parents about my problems, and I don't have any friends, nor anybody else that I really talk to. I admitted myself to the emergency room around 2 years ago which later resulted in a week-long psych ward stay. I liked to experiment with different drugs back then. I was quite self destructive. Till this day I feel very ashamed of that day in the ER. I've made a clown out of myself. Since then I've cleaned up my act, haven't taken any substances at all. I don't smoke, nor drink even. I started to read self-help books, exercise daily, run, meditate.

So now let's return to topic.
My therapist told me in our last session that she video records all of our therapy sessions. I was flabbergasted when I heard that. She acted like this wasn't a big deal. I basically spilled my entire pathetic life story onto her. If I had known about this, I would've never bothered with continuing. The point of having a therapist is so that you can be honest with your feelings while knowing that the client/patient is always protected by various privacy laws. The fact that she video recorded me without ever telling me, nor asking for consent is making me want to sue her practice.

Can someone share some input on this?
A lot of the debate on this thread revolves around legality. For me, the point is that this is a MASSIVE breech in trust. It should never have happened without your informed consent. Informed consent is more than a bit of small print on a contract, it should have been explained to you before the first session. I would take Daffy's advice and demand written proof that the recordings have been destroyed. Once I have that proof, I would seriously consider reporting this person to their professional body. They will cause some people a great deal of damage with this behaviour.

N

Nukelavee

Any recordings would be covered by the same confidentiality laws that the rest of your file is. no different than any notes they take during a session.

I can see the consent problem, but it strikes me as a courtesy issue, not a legal one.

As for why? Because video gives a more complete record of the session. It may allow her to, later, review things to adjust how she interacts with you for the better.

U

Usernam

That’s an illegal act on her behalf. She is not allowed to record you without your consent I would seek legal advice and make her delete those videos. This is such an invasion of privacy.

P

Pollypop

Yes. It is illegal.
Written consent should be given.

I feel It proves she knew what she was wrong.
Otherwise, why didn’t she tell you about it.

You definitely need clarification on this situation.

P

Pollypop

That’s an illegal act on her behalf. She is not allowed to record you without your consent I would seek legal advice and make her delete those videos. This is such an invasion of privacy.
Added to this I think it is necessary to make sure there are no duplicate copies.