• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Therapeutic Community Living - anyone have any ideas?

cloudberry

cloudberry

Founding Member
Hi to all,

havnt posted for a while so its good to be back!

I've thought about this for a while and wondered if anyone here has direct or indirect experience of living in a community, therapeutic or just a general one?

Or do you know of any you have heard are good?

I'm getting on a bit and due to the way I am I doubt I will have a relationship again, so am facing the future long term alone. I'm being groomed to care for my very controlling father when he needs it and I am dreading it!

Short of a white knight turning up to rescue me I had better try and sort something else out. So am interested in living in a community. I had a client once who went to one, she loved it and now lives there full time, but I lost contact when she did and dont know where it is.

So, come on, anyone got any ideas?
Or even, would you consider it?
Even becoming a nun would be preferable to caring for a nasty old bullying hypochondriac!!! LOL - I mean it! :scared:

cloudberry

A

Apotheosis

Hi to all,

havnt posted for a while so its good to be back!

I've thought about this for a while and wondered if anyone here has direct or indirect experience of living in a community, therapeutic or just a general one?

Or do you know of any you have heard are good?
Hi. I haven't lived in one no. The idea does have some appeal, but I am too much of a misanthrope to do so. I suppose that it depends on which country you would like to live in a community & what basis the community takes. Heavens Gate, & Koresh style communes are to be avoided ;)

I have heard of a place in Scotland which is a MH community, & there was a documentary I watched a long time ago, on a village which was populated with the long term mentally ill. Can't remember the names of either. Personally, I would think that India would be a good bet on finding an interesting & safe community. There is the "Brahma Kumaris" who may well be able to help, or to point you in the right direction.

http://www.bkwsu.com/

Have you tried "Google searches"?

I'm getting on a bit and due to the way I am I doubt I will have a relationship again, so am facing the future long term alone.
I'm over 10 years without having been in a relationship, & I'm still relatively young. We can meet people at any age, don't write yourself off.

Even becoming a nun would be preferable to caring for a nasty old bullying hypochondriac!!! LOL - I mean it! :scared:
I Used to think seriously about becoming a monk. In some ways I think I already live like one.

spiritual_emergency

spiritual_emergency

I can only think of a few such communities although there may well be more. If none of these are within your area you could always try contacting them by email to see if the people there know of any similar communities that might be in your area. If you're especially ambitious, you could gather round a group of your best friends and start a community of your own. It's always possible

- The Gesundheit Institute

- Windhorse Community Services [See also: Recovering Sanity - Book Review]

- L'Arche International

I'm hopeful others might know of some as well.

.​

cloudberry

cloudberry

Founding Member
Synchronicity - the "other" post re:Therapeutic Communities

Thanks to those who have contributed to this post :)

I just want to say I am not connected with the other post on this subject which has just popped up. I have been a member here for quite a while and have posted on many different subjects.

I hope the other post doesnt put people off this post and debating and contributing online.

With all best wishes,
cloudberry