The WRAP, wellness recovery action plan

Kerome

Kerome

Has anyone heard about this, it’s a course that’s become quite popular over here where experience experts often give it as a course to groups of patients. It’s intended to confront people with where they are in their recovery process and how planning for progress and steps back can help you be prepared for what happens in life.

The idea is you develop your own WRAP, your wellness recovery action plan, during sessions of the course and afterwards you can use it to guide you. It’s something you revisit from time to time.

Wellness Recovery Action Plan - Mary Ellen Copeland

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

no. well i havent, but then with all the cuts....only today i was thinking i have no plans short term or long term as i have quite lost the way of ever finding a way out of this existence:low:

T

Twokiwisandabanana

I went to this twice and didn't go back it was taking people with mental health Problems and treating them like we are learning disabled.
People don't want to go,to. A group and think about what it's like on their worst day and wrote down who you could call LOL
People with mental health problems need more fun and joy in their lives jeez.

Kerome

Kerome

I’ve heard it’s supposed to be quite challenging... it’s about five core concepts, hope, responsibility, development, taking control, and receiving and giving support. That’s supposed to help you transform your vision from your complaints to your own power.

Then there are seven items that you work on, (1) a toolchest of techniques for feeling good, (2) a maintenance plan, (3) your external triggers, (4) early warning signs, (5) signs you are coming off the rails, (6) a crisis plan, and (7) a post-crisis plan. For each item you’re supposed to write an ideal picture and an action plan.

Anyway i’ve heard some positive things about it. I can see cases where plans like these could help people maintain a good state of being. Yeah maybe it isn’t all fun to put together, but it has its uses.

SarahD

SarahD

They do have a version of this in UK, used to be with MH teams but now is a course with the Recovery College. Forget what they call it, think they must have made some arrangement with the original author to use the material.

Kerome

Kerome

They do have a version of this in UK, used to be with MH teams but now is a course with the Recovery College.
It’s interesting that you know about the Recovery College... I recently came across it when it was mentioned by a carer here, but was never referred to it while I was in the UK under CMHT care. What role do they have in the UK system, do you know?

embleton

embleton

They do have a version of this in UK, used to be with MH teams but now is a course with the Recovery College. Forget what they call it, think they must have made some arrangement with the original author to use the material.
I use WRAP, it's an interesting system when I get episodes and need some help with picking things out the list to help when I'm going through an issue. Love listening to relaxing music when I'm hearing voices. Use to use the app on an iPad, but alas. the authors stopped supporting it which was unfortunate.

SarahD

SarahD

In the Uk most areas (I think) now have recovery colleges. Unfortunately it is quite hard to get on courses because they book up very quickly. Courses can be half a day, a whole day, a week, one day a week for several weeks etc. All sorts of topics as well as the wellbeing and recovery plan. Voices, treatments, depression and anxiety, diabetes, bereavement, psychosis, sleep problems, mindfulness etc. I have only done a couple, think one day courses, one was on voices. It was interesting and useful but much too short. Need something more in depth. (Not many hearing voices groups unfortunately, would like one of those.)

Some people are very opposed to recovery college because of pushing the "you must recover and comply with the governments plans for you" philosophy. I think it would be useful if you could actually book a course on what you wanted to do, but I like finding out more stuff (do it mostly from books, the internet, but sometimes it is useful to see what people say). Usually courses are run by two people, one professional and one patient/peer group person.

SarahD

SarahD

Also, you don't get referred. You may be given info and if interested you apply. And usually the course is full. And usually they forget to give you info anyway.