• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

The Wall

Ashami

Ashami

Founding Member
Pink Floyd The Wall.jpg The scream.jpg Hammers 2.jpg

Pink Floyd's The Wall is for me the Greatest Album ever written. It is seen as an initiation into the world of 'real' music and is a true 'rite of passage' masterpiece. It carries deep and significant messages not only about society, human nature, oppression and suffering but also about deep rooted psychological trauma. It 'speaks' depression, and yet is truly inspiring.

I have seen my own wall grow, and I know who helped to build my wall, and now that I'm snuggly hidden behind those bricks so high I often wonder if there is anybody out there.

Wished I hadn't built it quite so high.....:(

I would like to know other peoples experiences of wall-building.

A

Apotheosis

I used to do labouring for bricklayers.:D

I used to enjoy watching the wall on LSD & other drug concoctions. I used to listen to allot of Floyd, Syd Barrett was somewhat of a hero of mine, the Crazy Diamond. I smoked cannabis heavily in the past & enjoyed the music very much, the album I listened to most was "delicate sound of thunder", I used to play it constantly for years. As well as early stuff, the wall, dark side of the moon, & others. I don't listen to their stuff nowadays, it doesn't do it for me any more. I don't know why. Although I did enjoy them on Live 8, that reunion was good.

Primal Scream's Screamadelica album, especially the track Inner Flight used to be on repeat allot in the early days of pot smoking. But again I haven't listened to their stuff in years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyMVc42oR1g

Also the Album "Connected" - Stereo MC's

All very dated stuff, but it was good at the time.

If I had to choose music I find powerful today it has to be work by some of the Great Composers, especially Rachmaninov, Tchaikovsky, & Beethoven.

Something I was left with from years of using drugs, & mental illness was a very fragile ego & sense of self. Part of the recovery process has been grounding myself, keeping my "power" & learning assertiveness. Maybe even building a bit of a wall around certain things, we can always put in a door & let people in occasionally.:)

Ashami

Ashami

Founding Member
I think it's sad that The Wall has become so associated with drugs. For me, apart from the moral messages, I just love the guitar and have never tired of it. I saw Dave Gilmore's Albert Hall show recently (I think it was Albert Hall??) and just died for that guitar sound he does. Crazy Diamond is purity in musical form.

Checked out Primal scream. Good sounds on a much lighter vein than Floyd.

Rachmaninov is one of my favs too. His, which one is it (terrible at names), the one in D minor that drives along and has great piano in it, is fantastic and I was lucky enough to see it performed live in London once. Couldn't believe the power of the sound in a big auditorium!!

A

Apotheosis

I think it's sad that The Wall has become so associated with drugs.
I suppose, but what was the Wall about? Comfortably numb?

"Ok.
Just a little pinprick. [ping]
Therell be no more --aaaaaahhhhh!
But you may feel a little sick.

Can you stand up?
I do believe its working. good.
Thatll keep you going for the show.
Come on its time to go.

There is no pain, you are receding.
A distant ships smoke on the horizon.
You are only coming through in waves.
Your lips move but I cant hear what youre sayin.
When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse,
Out of the corner of my eye.
I turned to look but it was gone.
I cannot put my finger on it now.
The child is grown, the dream is gone.
I have become comfortably numb."

A

Apotheosis

Rachmaninov is one of my favs too. His, which one is it (terrible at names), the one in D minor that drives along and has great piano in it, is fantastic and I was lucky enough to see it performed live in London once. Couldn't believe the power of the sound in a big auditorium!!
Piano Concerto No. 3 in D Minor, Op. 30?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA0kXDMKiLg

Nothing compares to a live Orchestra.

A

Apotheosis

What program was this the theme music to, with melvin brag?

In the 80's

Ashami

Ashami

Founding Member
Ah NO. 2, Have you seen the film "Shine"?

shine_ver1.jpg
I have seen bits of it. I need to watch it properly I think but for some reason the lead actor, Geoffery someone, puts me off. It's irrational but he does.

W

waveydavey

View attachment 42 View attachment 40 View attachment 41

Pink Floyd's The Wall is for me the Greatest Album ever written. It is seen as an initiation into the world of 'real' music and is a true 'rite of passage' masterpiece. It carries deep and significant messages not only about society, human nature, oppression and suffering but also about deep rooted psychological trauma. It 'speaks' depression, and yet is truly inspiring.

I have seen my own wall grow, and I know who helped to build my wall, and now that I'm snuggly hidden behind those bricks so high I often wonder if there is anybody out there.

Wished I hadn't built it quite so high.....:(

Yep comfortably numb was/is a masterpiece-creates such a profound sense of sadness resignation and beauty-i could always relate so totally to that. Don't know if it's about unrequited hope or simply the human condition or maybe the recognition of needing to build a wall prob all those things

Ashami

Ashami

Founding Member
The Elf has died

Hello.
Is there anybody in there?
Just nod if you can hear me.
Is there anyone home?

Come on, now.
I hear youre feeling down.
Well I can ease your pain,
Get you on your feet again.

Relax.
I need some information first.
Just the basic facts:
Can you show me where it hurts?

When I was a child I had a fever.
My hands felt just like two balloons.
Now I got that feeling once again.
I cant explain, you would not understand.
This is not how I am.
I have become comfortably numb.

Ok.
Just a little pinprick. [ping]
Therell be no more --aaaaaahhhhh!
But you may feel a little sick.

Can you stand up?
I do believe its working. good.
Thatll keep you going for the show.
Come on its time to go.

When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse,
Out of the corner of my eye.
I turned to look but it was gone.
I cannot put my finger on it now.
The child is grown, the dream is gone.
I have become comfortably numb.