• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

The voices are real!!

jojoe

jojoe

Hello, hope everyone is well today! I am not sure if this post belongs on the delusions forum or this one but here goes. I have posted a few times in the past trying to help my husband and i am again feeling helpless and not sure if i am helping him at all. He started hearing something about 2 & a half years ago when he was outside. He has always said it was people talking and that they were watching him and talking about him. About 11 months ago he started hearing them all the time even when he was inside. He now can understand what they say as well. He has been prescribed Abilify but won't take it like he is suppose to, I think he has been throwing them away sometimes. He lies to me and his doctor about taking the abilify and about hearing the voices. He says he isn't hearing them but i am 99.9% sure he is still hearing them. He always says the voices are real people and they can even hear his thoughts and see everything he does and they are out to get him and that he doesn't have any privacy because of this, he has all but stopped showering, He lays on the couch all day and sleeps. I have had no problem doing the things around the house that he is letting slide because he is sick, but it has been almost a year now and i am beginning to think i am making it to easy for him to sleep and do nothing all day. I try to talk to him but he won't tell me what's going on. He won't talk about the voices besides saying they are real. He knows i don't think they are real but that i believe he hears them. I don't know what else to do. He has believed this for about 3 years now. I don't know what else to do. Is this ever going to end, is he ever going to be the same person i married 21 years ago?

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I've been hearing a voice for 5+ years now and to the surprise of my family and friends I'm still the same person I was prior to hearing it. I'm also on the generic version of Abilify (Aripiprazole) and another antipsychotic called Risperidone and they haven't effected my cognitive abilities or changed my personality at all, they do however make me feel very tired throughout the day but compared to how I was before taking them it's an acceptable trade-off.

I too believe the voice I hear is real, it seems to be aware of my surroundings at all times and even knows my thoughts and dreams and will often talk about the dreams I've had after I wake up in the morning. My beliefs about what it really is reflect this.

It's hard to stop being fully absorbed (and sometimes paralyzed) by what the voice is saying especially if it's telling lies about being out to get you, I think me stopping listening to it was the turning point in my recovery, but we each get there in our own time.

jojoe

jojoe

I've been hearing a voice for 5+ years now and to the surprise of my family and friends I'm still the same person I was prior to hearing it. I'm also on the generic version of Abilify (Aripiprazole) and another antipsychotic called Risperidone and they haven't effected my cognitive abilities or changed my personality at all, they do however make me feel very tired throughout the day but compared to how I was before taking them it's an acceptable trade-off.

I too believe the voice I hear is real, it seems to be aware of my surroundings at all times and even knows my thoughts and dreams and will often talk about the dreams I've had after I wake up in the morning. My beliefs about what it really is reflect this.

It's hard to stop being fully absorbed (and sometimes paralyzed) by what the voice is saying especially if it's telling lies about being out to get you, I think me stopping listening to it was the turning point in my recovery, but we each get there in our own time.
If you don't mind me asking how long did it take you to realize you needed to stop listening to them. My husband goes out of his way to hear everything that's said. He keeps the television turned down or off and if i try to speak to him he will cut me off mid sentence or hush me. He told me a few months ago they told him they would leave him alone if he would not talk and be very quiet and thats when he started sleeping all the time. He not only believes that he he hearing real people but also he believes everything they say. I have told him i think they lie because they have been saying they are coming to get him since last October and they haven't. He has went outside got on his knee's and waited for them for hours because they told him to. I don't know how to help him. The voices he hears have completely taken him over and he won't talk to me about them or anything they say anymore. I asked him why he stopped talking to me about them and he says i am going to tell you but he has been saying that for months now.
I am scared for him, i don't know how to help him.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I stopped believing the lies my voice kept telling me when I caught it out on them time after time. All in all it took me several months to figure things out for myself.

You wouldn't believe the lies my voice came out with but when you have no idea what they are and what they're capable of you'll believe just about anything.

My voice has told me it was Aliens, God (who told me to kill myself), the Devil (who also wanted me to kill myself), real good people in the world who wanted to help me, real bad people in the world who wanted to stop the good people, my higher self, a spirit guide, family and friends talking to me telepathically or people I'd met online during my search for answers.

So after all the changing of its explanation for itself it wasn't hard for me to stop believing everything it was saying to me and I then made up my own mind as to what it really was.

I came to most of my beliefs before taking any medication, but when I did start taking it things became much clearer and my voice had even less influence over me.

I haven't spoken a word to my voice since I started them on the 14th of September 2016, so it'll be my 5th anniversary tomorrow and I'm much better off for it.

W

WH433

My voices only go and stay away with a decent dose of medication, I take my abilify in a monthly injection so I can’t mess around with the dose, do you think he would be open to that?

jojoe

jojoe

I am going to call his doctor today and i will ask him about an injection but if he won't take the pills, he will probably come up with a reason not to get the injection. When this first started i was told to keep him talking to me and not to tell him he was wrong but not to say i believed what he does either. That has been almost impossible to do. I say I believe you are hearing them but i don't come to the same conclusion as to what it is that you do. That a super polite and long way to say your wrong! I was told not to call him out in front of people or his doctor to much because he would withdraw and stop talking to me. Well that has happened anyway. Did anyone ever say anything to you while you believed the voice were real that helped, and if so what did they say?
He told me that all of this has changed him, his personality, he has a temper like he never use to, now it's like he has just folded and given up.:low:

D

Drstrange

just remember he’s going thru hell I wouldn’t wish this on anyone or mind is suppose to be the only thing we have control over and it’s like we lost that ability I too think the voices are real by the way the sound and interact with me I 100% believe they’re other “people” and that telepathy is real or they have some device just try to be as calm as possible and don’t tell him he’s wrong because it pisses us the fuck off because you have no clue what we’re experiencing who are you to say and also the doctors have no fuckin clue because there are no decisive test to say schizophrenia is a real disease

I am going to call his doctor today and i will ask him about an injection but if he won't take the pills, he will probably come up with a reason not to get the injection. When this first started i was told to keep him talking to me and not to tell him he was wrong but not to say i believed what he does either. That has been almost impossible to do. I say I believe you are hearing them but i don't come to the same conclusion as to what it is that you do. That a super polite and long way to say your wrong! I was told not to call him out in front of people or his doctor to much because he would withdraw and stop talking to me. Well that has happened anyway. Did anyone ever say anything to you while you believed the voice were real that helped, and if so what did they say?
He told me that all of this has changed him, his personality, he has a temper like he never use to, now it's like he has just folded and given up.:low: