the unbelievable happened

megirl

megirl

Been doing really well mentally, which is great
On the 23 december the unbelievable happened. I was driving to work and instead of taking a turn i somehow have been distracted and ended up driving my car into a farmers fence hit a concrete post causing the car to roll then landed on another pole. It wasnt deliberate i was having a nice day going to finish work early all was well.
Anway i had lost consciousness for some time only come around when they were cutting me out of the car. I had broken neck it was an unstable fracture so had to be air lifted to hospital. I also fractured my pelvic and hip in multiple places, 2 broken ribs bruising to my right lung and a fracture to my right shoulder socket,
I was in hospital for 7 weeks as had several complications. I needed to operations to my spine and surgery to my pelvis hip area.
I am home now and doing well. I am in a full upper body brace and see surgeons in three weeks hoping i can get this brace off and have a smaller brace.
I am so lucky to be alive also noone else was hurt. There was no other car involved.
I cant even remember why or how i went off the road and maybe its a good thing i cant remember.
I dont have any paralysis which is very fortunate. Very scary how within a miili-second life can change. I work as a cleaner but have no idea when i will be able to return to work.
I am just so lucky as things could have been so much worse

F

fidget

My god megirl, sounds so terrifying! I'm so sorry this happened to you, its incredible how positive you are sounding about it. I wish you all the best for your continued recovery :hug:

burt tomato

burt tomato

Sounds terrible. Glad you have recovered from it all.

megirl

megirl

Yes everyone has been amazing and recovering very well. I certainly arent doing anything i arent meant to do not when it comes to my spine. I do have trouble swallowing fluids so have a nasogastric tube in so have liquids and my meds via the tube. I can manage pureed food which is good

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
I'm so sorry you were involved in a terrible accident, I hope you continue to recover well.
Take care and good luck for your future.

megirl

megirl

thanks I am taking things day by day. I dont have any idea when i will be capable of going back to work. But my boss is happy to keep my job open. Its just a wait and see thing. Next time i see the surgeons they may have more of an idea what i will be capable of. Everyones so different so it will be more like a wait and see game i guess

megirl

megirl

I had a down day last week but it was out of exhaustion as only been home for 2 weeks doing lots more (though its not actually a lot) But i am also lucky i dont seem to be getting any pain so thats a good thing

S

spiritfriend

Hi. I'm so sorry to hear about this. I'm glad to hear that you're doing better. And I will be hoping and wishing the best for you. I am so scared of learning how to drive. Driving is terrifying. But these things can happen to us no matter where we are, or what we're doing in life. I'm just happy to hear that you're safe. Good luck with everything.
:hug1:

AliceinWonderland

AliceinWonderland

So sorry to hear this has happened, what an awful scary thing to go through. I hope your healing continues well and you are feeling much better soon x

megirl

megirl

doing well. Week 10 now since the accident. I am limited to what i can do. as lots of healing to do. I have someone come in the morning and evening to help me with my showering, and dressing. Also have homehelp. I have my hubby but he works long hours. I just got the vaccum out of the cupboard plugged it in and then was exhausted after 1 minute of vaccuuming. I see my gp tomorrow so might get him to do some blood tests. I will be a long time before i am back to normal but yeh just taking it day by day

megirl

megirl

I am so excited i see my surgeons on Friday i am in a upper body/neck brace had this for 12 weeks so i am hoping they will let me go from that to just a soft neck brace rather than the one i have got. Then hopefully i can start doing some physio and get active again. Heres hoping. And as i cant swallow properly i have a naso-gastric tube, which my meds and fluids and ensure drink goes into. I am hoping that without the restriction of the brace i may be able to swallow better and get the tube out!! yay

AliceinWonderland

AliceinWonderland

Oh good luck for Friday! Sounds incredibly hard what you have had to cope with, I hope things are going to start getting easier for you, and that this will be the next step in getting better and more back to normal. You sound like you've been very brave and patient. Best wishes megirl :hug:

megirl

megirl

yes very excited. Hopefully the x-rays are all good :)
its been hard but in all honesty not as difficult as being mentally unwell.I wouldnt wish the injuries i have on anyone. But it could have been worse and i will make an almost full recovery.
I work as a cleaner its not a stressful job but in regards to going back to this type of work will depend on how much i can actually manage. Anyone else had any experience with this sort of thing

Also i have no pain. Of course when i had my accident and after surgery i had a lot of discomfort but about 2 weeks post op i have only been taking panadol

Last edited: