• We have just changed our forum software and are still tweaking things. You can log in using your existing user name and password. If you spot any problems please let us know by posting in the Feedback and suggestions section of the forum.

Watch this short film to find out how to use the new forum!

The truth about social anxiety

E

Elemental Pain

“Waiting for your turn to deliver a presentation, you are sweating, your hands are shaking, your face turning pale, you start feeling stomachache as you usually do in stressful situations, looks like you are having panic attack. Your turn has finally come, your heart beats very fast, and as you walk toward the front of the class room your vision becomes blurry, and your brain stopped registering what is happening around you, you are like a zombie walking almost unconsciously. Standing in front of all these staring eyes you are very scared, you couldn’t look at them and you almost fall unconscious, this is the last thing you remember. You don’t remember much of what happened after that, somehow you managed to read the paper you wrote the notes on it very fast and it’s finally over.”

Does this looks familiar to you? These symptoms are called social anxiety disorder, but if you know what I am talking about then you probably already familiar with this concept. Social anxiety is a fancy word to describe abnormal shyness, but still it’s very serious problem. And it seems that no one can feel it but you, everyone tells you to be brave and face your fears and that it’s all in your head, but their tips and advice has no effect on you.
Most of people who advice you on social anxiety did not experience your suffering, they never know what it is like to be so anxious and nervous that you pretend to be mute to avoid small talks. Or when you see someone you know but pretend that you didn’t see him or her so you don’t have to say hi. There are countless awkward situations you can find yourself in as social anxiety sufferer, but all of them are nothing comparing to the real suffering like loneliness because you are too shy to meet someone and form a relationship, or underemployment because either you refuse promotions or choose to work in isolated work place.

Even professional therapist can’t grasp the reality of such suffering because they are not patients themselves, sure they interviewed a lot of patient and have theoretical knowledge about social anxiety issues, but it’s still theoretical after all. Of course, I am not saying every therapist is a fraud; therapy can be useful, I actually learned the basic social skills from therapy. But I am sure you agree with me that theoretical knowledge about particular topic will never be equivalent to direct experience, reading romantic novel for example will never be equal to the direct experience of real emotion of love.
I have been diagnosed with social anxiety many years ago, but eventually I found a way out. I discovered six thought patterns (or thinking habits) that cause social anxiety, not only that but these six thinking habits prevent you from benefiting from therapy. Whenever you feel like you got away from anxiety your bad thinking habits bring you back again. Social anxiety is a matter of perception, you are socially anxious because you view yourself as less valuable than everyone else. Those thinking habits are distorting your perception of reality, for example magnifying your mistakes, and showing you that everyone laughs at you. If you change how you see yourself and other people, your social anxiety will cease to be. But if you don’t then you can’t escape social anxiety no matter how many years you spend in therapy or how many anxiety pills you take. Those hurtful thought patterns appear so harmless and innocent, this is why almost no one knows about them. Through my researches I didn’t find anyone talk about these thought patterns. You are addicted to them without knowing how destructive they are or being aware of their existence in the first place. Based on these harmful thought patterns I designed set of mental exercises that helped me changing my perception of reality, not only in intellectual level but in the emotional level as well, because if you think about it social anxiety is emotional problem not intellectual one.

After I saw the results of the mental exercises and quitting harmful thought patterns, and I saw how I changed for the better, I became eager to tell everyone about the methods that I used to escape from social anxiety, because I know that there are many people out there still living with unbearable suffering of social anxiety, and they are in need to know how to get rid of such agony, so I created a treatment program to help anyone who is suffering the way I suffered before.
The freedom from social anxiety is indescribable, I now can talk to anyone I want with zero anxiety, even speaking to the other gender is no a longer problem. Actually, I sometimes enjoy talking to others, which is very surprising given how I hated interacting with others. Entering crowded places or eating in public are very easy now. I almost forgot what life was back then in the days of social anxiety. The change in my personality was so dramatic that I almost feel like I am not recognizing myself anymore! Who is this guy living under my skin? He is bold and talkative! He is not the “regular” guy used to live here. Nevertheless, I like him more.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
E

Elemental Pain

Hello again,
Thanks for reading, I wrote a book called “The truth about social anxiety” explaining everything in details. It’s free for limited amount of time and you can find it on amazon.