The trouble with mindfulness

A

Apotheosis

The trouble with mindfulness

The Trouble with Mindfulness | The Naked Monk

‘Spiritual’ people often think that negative states of mind are a problem, that hate must be turned into love, frustration into joy. This is valiant but misguided. Are you searching for tranquility, or for a tranquillizer?Sharp, effective mindfulness begins with acceptance of your emotions, not judgement of them. Only then is change possible.

Reality is sometimes so simple that we just miss it. Anger, frustration and regret are appropriate responses to many situations. Indulging in them doesn’t help, but taking a step back and seeing them in context does. Resist the urge to escape and you see what you’re really dealing with.

Those who want to feel good now miss this subtle difference. Their desire to change their feelings is the same old urge to flee, just another subconscious craving for things to be other than they are. Actually, it’s worse: believing they’re on a special path to freedom, they’re even more blinkered than the rest of us. (read the rest of the article)

R

Rose19602

This article puts into words what I am facing in therapy and is particularly relevant for delusional thought processes, which are so hard to face and to accept as wrong / mistaken.
The path to the truth is unbearably hard, and it is so difficult not to fight back with the false logic you have relied on so heavily. Because you have to doubt your own, often intransitory and well rooted, belief system, the wake left behind you when you acknowledge how wrong you have been is considerable and hard to face.
I think that if this is "mindfulness" it could be helpful to me.
Can you recommend any further reading?

F

fallen

Hope you don't mind me gate crashing. I got a book: The Mindful way Through Depression (it comes with a cd for meditation exercises) by Mark Williams (and others). You can preview on Amazon, I believe.

Hope this helps you.

xfallenx

A

Apotheosis

Can you recommend any further reading?
All sorts. 'Mindfulness in plain English' is very good by Venerable Henepola Gunaratana -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mindfulness...3214/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347054480&sr=8-1

& I'd also say anything by Thich Nhat Hanh -

Amazon.co.uk: Thich Nhat Hanh: Books

Pema Chödrön is good too -

Amazon.co.uk: Pema Chödrön: Books

There is endless stuff out there. Thousands of books, web sites, U-Tube vids etc.

I feel that we develop our own practise & what works for us. I've practised a basic diaphragmatic breath awareness for the past 8 years, with basic mindfulness/awareness/observation. Different things work/are helpful for different people. I prefer a very simple & gentle breath meditation. Just simple focusing awareness on breath. I go through phases of reading a lot, then hardly at all. There are hundreds of books that I'd like to read, but focus & concentration can be very hard sometimes.

Some people are very drawn to different religions/practises/traditions, I'm not - I practise a personal non-religious spirituality, so most of the stuff that I read is on that subject. Horses for courses again.

I'd sum the whole thing up as 'stop & be still/rest in Being', 'practise peace, kindness, calm & harmony', & critically 'go into & work through' what you need to. That last bit I feel is key - to actually deeply & honestly look at things - the majority don't, it's the last things they'll ever do. I think that the aim is to find our truth/our true Self. It's probably both the hardest & simplest thing there is.

R

Rose19602

Thank you....I'll look into it.
I've seen it cited as a useful theory and something calming which gets me to slow down and be honest with myself hits the mark right now.
I'll do some reading for now and see what I think, but many thanks for your comments and contributions. That article made me think and certainly hit a chord with me.
x

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Kerome Mindfulness and Mental Health 2