• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

The Trigger of Psychosis

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

The Trigger of Psychosis: Dr. Kay Jamison's Near-Death-Like Experience

Mental illness can trigger religious revelations, visions and even out-of-body and near-death-like experiences. On this web page you will discover that mental illness is probably not what you might think it is; and that mental illness is not what Hollywood portrays it to be. You will read about one of the most distinguished scientists in the mental health field and her NDE which was triggered by a manic-depressive psychosis. Along with this case, you will also learn the relationship between schizophrenia and OBEs, and the difference between being psychic and being psychotic among other things.

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I got a kick out of that article even while not agreeing with it. Thanks.

The section that goes into the suspected psychiatric diagnoses of biblical characters was particularly thrilling. Not just for the blasphemy of it. Just the casual arrogance of diagnosing characters in a book.

It's obviously an opinion-piece. Everything written about "the nature of mental illness" is an opinion piece. Lots of people would beg to differ. So long as the begging is accepted as a two-way exchange, I'm easy with it.

An OBE is also describable as severe dissociation. There are many ways to go about getting to grips with these experiences.

I think anyone is best to work things out for themselves, if they are able.

I found this bit very offensive and thus enjoyable:

Those of above average intelligence are thought to be capable of processing LI effectively, enabling their creativity and increasing their awareness of their surroundings. Those with less than average intelligence, on the other hand, are less able to cope, and as a result are more likely to suffer from mental illness and sensory overload. It is hypothesized that a low level of latent inhibition can cause either psychosis or a high level of creative achievement or both, which is usually dependent on the individual's intelligence. When they cannot develop the creative ideas, they become frustrated and/or depressive.