• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

The totally arbitrary nature of prioritizing empathy as a human-defining trait

I

IDontCare99

*Weaponizing* citizens is the correct word. Weaponizing them against each other and against the people they believe purposely hurt them last year...and just the same they don't realize they are doing it, or they do?

We'll see.

I

IDontCare99

Yes, even a *compassionate* individual who has empathy for everyone can still be weaponized without their knowledge.

I

IDontCare99

Traumatize people and you can make them do anything...empathy or not.

GretaVon

GretaVon

Former member
How many have you met? They are supposed to be rare after all. It’s more likely you ran into people with low emotional intelligence.
I've met enough to know they're not that rare.

Z

Zoe1

I believe that empathy can be learned
through person centred Rogerian psychotherapy

anex

anex

If you called people with autism or down syndrome etc. subhuman monsters chances are you would be called out and shamed by society on a collective level.

The same things can be said about people with ASPD/NPD with minimal backlash.

What is it about empathy that is seen as so "human" as opposed to other traits, such that someone who is literally missing chromosomes MUST be referred to as fully human or you are a disgusting bastard yet it is socially acceptable to speak about empathy as if it is the central defining trait of humanity and claim those who lack it are literal subhumans?

The answer is simple, most humans are almost 100% irrational and herd-driven. They don't even see the double/false standard at play and only get so protective over other disabilities because society only just recently decided thats what you should do.
I’ve thought about this in a similar way. The empathy. I think even those who lack empathy can still be good people. Even if you struggle to put yourself in someone else’s shoes or you don’t feel emotions like most people do…You can still care for others. It’s a verb, not a feeling. Same with love.
But it probably has to come with work because society does seem to associate lack of empathy with murderers and such. So there isn’t a ton out there in terms of how to help people in this way. AND until recently, mental/emotional struggles weren’t widely talked about in a healthy and helpful way. I hope things change in this way. Not just with empathy and what that means, but with personality disorders. Especially cluster b. I still think there is so much damage being done in the way most people tend to talk about these things. Even among professionals.

T E_90

T E_90

I’ve thought about this in a similar way. The empathy. I think even those who lack empathy can still be good people. Even if you struggle to put yourself in someone else’s shoes or you don’t feel emotions like most people do…You can still care for others. It’s a verb, not a feeling. Same with love.
But it probably has to come with work because society does seem to associate lack of empathy with murderers and such. So there isn’t a ton out there in terms of how to help people in this way. AND until recently, mental/emotional struggles weren’t widely talked about in a healthy and helpful way. I hope things change in this way. Not just with empathy and what that means, but with personality disorders. Especially cluster b. I still think there is so much damage being done in the way most people tend to talk about these things. Even among professionals.
As someone with aspd and bipolar, I would like to thank you.
What some people don't know and don't understand is that we are human beings too, we still have some emotions, can still be hurt and many have daily internal struggles going on.
What the media portray does a lot of damage to some of these personality disorders that, they themselves ,don't even understand, posing as experts, and people obviously believe them, judging and insulting rather than looking for a cause (and it's also because of some of those people, that most of these disorders exist, and that leads those who have them to hide).
If you don't react you have no emotions and you're hiding something, if you react surely it's for bad reasons, so everything is twisted around and misinterpreted, therefore there's no escape from bad judgment once some labels are given to you.
Psychiatry is vast and many things that were not known yesterday are known today. Maybe one day things will change and they will stop defining the whole individual with a label, but will look beyond that.