• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

the system is barbaric

dustin001

dustin001

out of respect for the site's rules i won't state my views on suicide. what i will address is the barbaric mental health system. the genius idea of how we treat people suffering with suicidal thoughts is by treating them like criminals. and how you can be forced against your will and be locked away without due process for any amount of days they seem fit to hold you.

anyone can initiate this process. it doesn't matter if they really know you or not. and depending on what the person trying to place a hold on you says in their report ,you could be taken to the er in handcuffs.

once your in the dreaded er you get the luxury of just laying around for hours with uncaring psych nurses that openly mock patients. everything you say to them won't be taken seriously as your "mentally ill" and have no "insight" into your condition. so you are never believed.

it also doesn't matter if you no longer feel suicidal. once at the er your a slave to a bunch of medical staff who will make a soul crushing decision to lock you in a ward for a few days against your will based on very little to no evidence that your a harm to yourself or anyone else.

then if you are admitted you are stuck in the boring er for long ass hours until a bed opens up at the ward. once at the ward your greeted with more uncaring psych nurses and left to your own devices in a boring as fuck environment with no creature comforts.

that's the genius idea of the mental health system. treat em like criminals so they never wanna seek help again.

S

STL

Former member
i have been on the receiving end of this societal stick and it sucks for sure. the health care system is broken and there is too much stigma attached to mental illness and a severe lack of education, especially with law enforcement, to really try to take the problem head on.

P

pollypocket88

I think that the private hospitals section you for the sake of it because they’re getting money but the nhs hospitals don’t want to hold on to you too long that’s what I have found

Manicotti

Manicotti

out of respect for the site's rules i won't state my views on suicide. what i will address is the barbaric mental health system. the genius idea of how we treat people suffering with suicidal thoughts is by treating them like criminals. and how you can be forced against your will and be locked away without due process for any amount of days they seem fit to hold you.

anyone can initiate this process. it doesn't matter if they really know you or not. and depending on what the person trying to place a hold on you says in their report ,you could be taken to the er in handcuffs.

once your in the dreaded er you get the luxury of just laying around for hours with uncaring psych nurses that openly mock patients. everything you say to them won't be taken seriously as your "mentally ill" and have no "insight" into your condition. so you are never believed.

it also doesn't matter if you no longer feel suicidal. once at the er your a slave to a bunch of medical staff who will make a soul crushing decision to lock you in a ward for a few days against your will based on very little to no evidence that your a harm to yourself or anyone else.

then if you are admitted you are stuck in the boring er for long ass hours until a bed opens up at the ward. once at the ward your greeted with more uncaring psych nurses and left to your own devices in a boring as fuck environment with no creature comforts.

that's the genius idea of the mental health system. treat em like criminals so they never wanna seek help again.
Yeah, even the place that I went to, though it was better than I thought it was going to be, was pretty bad. I actually attempted suicide twice IN FRONT OF THE CAMERAS because they would leave us alone for almost an hour at a time when they were supposed to check on us every 15 minutes. They never knew until I told my doctor a few days later send that kinda freaked him out.

Nate

Nate

I hate the boredom! All day you just lay around staring at the ceiling. The nurses come in and check on you once in awhile but they don't talk to you, it really sucks being inpatient.

Mothman

Mothman

When I was inpatient it felt like a perverse cross between kindergarten and prison. They treat you like a child who has misbehaved and you aren't allowed anything, not even your usual coping mechanisms. When I get into my psychotic mode of severely scattered thought and hallucinations, all I can do to help is distract my mind with music or a videogame or something, anything to focus my mind on something and I can snap out of it, but in the nuthouse you cannot do that. I just had to dwell in it, which is the worst thing for these episodes.

They'd have groups like twice a day max where again, most of them treat you like a child in detention. Other than that you have NOTHING to do, unless you thought ahead and brought reading material like I did, but when my thoughts are too scattered to read there's shit-all. Ironically I've never felt more like I was going to go crazy than I did in the mental hospital, the one place where the entire point is to stop you form going crazy.

Manicotti

Manicotti

Well. My psychiatrist just sent me to the hospital so I'm in the ER now. It's nicer during the daytime

LoqLamp

LoqLamp

I feel in my country you could cut your own arm off and not be held. Specially if you were drunk. Feel as if it’s really just a system that exists for psychosis. If the police ran it however probably everyone in crisis would be an inpatient.