• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

    We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

The sympathetic doctor



Dec 11, 2014
Hi there. I recently went to a new doctor for the first time.
She wants to try me with ECT therapy. I really dont want this treatment.
I am wondering if this is standard treatment for people like me who are hearing voices.
I really need a more sympathetic doctor but im beginning to wonder how to find one.

Has anyone else had difficult times with their doctor?

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Well-known member
Apr 15, 2014
North of England, UK
One of my psychiatrists once floated the idea of perhaps trying ECT. Having seen the patients on the ward return from their treatment, I politely declined.

If you're not happy with your psychiatrist, the procedure is to see your GP, and ask them if they will write to the hospital, and request a change of consultant. There is no legal right to a change of psychiatrist, and the hospital does not have to agree.

Years ago, one of my GP's assisted me in effecting a change, and I changed consultants. More recently I've wanted to change from my current psych doc, but my current GP won't write to the hospital and help.

Maybe you could approach a mental health advocate to help you in dealing with professionals?

Good luck with everything. I hope all goes well for you :)
Similar threads

Similar threads