• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

The shame of Birmingham City Council Health and Social Care.

M

Mad Hatter

Founding Member
Excuse me if this sounds a bit of a rant but I feel justified if I do. I work as a classroom assistant at a project which teaches people with mental health problems as well as people with other problems bicycle maintenance. It has been running since 1996 and I even attended there myself when it first started. Everyone agrees what a great project it is, the client base love it. It is situated at a council run site. Some years ago they got a sort of 7 seater minibus with a mobile workshop in the back, this has proved invaluable in picking up bikes to work on, parts and sometimes even taking out clients.

Today the vehicle had to be returned because it's not cost effective apparently. A sad day for all concerned as for some clients, going out in the "van" was the highlight of their week. As usual it's all down to penny pinching. To rub it in further I find out that the van is earmarked for a children's home, ahhh bless!! Can someone please tell me that when funding is handed out why is it anything to do with delinquent kids or crackheads is always above mental health in the pecking order?

Libra1

Libra1

Founding Member
Hi mad hatter,

I feel very sad to read what has happened to the mini bus and the people who will miss out because of this:(

Would it not be possible to apply to a charitable organisation or the 'big lottery fund' to retain the vehichle?

M

Mad Hatter

Founding Member
Hiya Libra, afraid not, because we have recently been taken over by a private company who offered to buy the minibus but were knocked back. Can't see them buying a new or even a used one and as it's a private company a charitable organisation or lottery funding won't go there. Ho hum!!!

M

mad as a hatter

what a disgrace that is helped so many people 2 but there not that important 2 some people terrible that is

companion

companion

Founding Member
It really infuriates me to know that money is put before people time and time again. This situation is represetative for most councils and social services departments around the country. The people elected to run these local governments and make decisions that supposidly benefit the community always choose to stop operating services that make such a great difference. And then you read in the papers that MPs have two homes funded by the tax payer.

Sorry for my little rant, but it really does make me angry when people loose out, because the powerful want more money, or want to channel it into ventures such as starting wars. It is a sad day as was said.

Take Care

Companion

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Hmmm, I'm not saying anything other than 'it makes me angry' because it makes me too angry and then I don't feel so well!

M

Mad Hatter

Founding Member
Just heard yesterday that they want us out of the building next. My anxiety levels are really up coz of this, all the not knowing just does my head in.:mad:

companion

companion

Founding Member
When are they wanting everyone out then? Have they arranged anything to replace or support everyone?

Hope you are ok

Companion

M

Mad Hatter

Founding Member
Well there is talk, that's all it is talk. I really feel the need to get out as it is very discouraging, to think of all the hard work I put in getting myself together, only to have to go through this bulls*** I am OK but feel as if I could go off on one at anytime!!!

companion

companion

Founding Member
When are they planning on closing this all down?

I cannot imagine what it must feel like to have this all taken away from you, especially when you have put so much of your time and effort in. For me, I would be feeling very angry, hurt, and let down. However, when these things happen, it just makes me more determined to fight back. Are you able to, if you have not already done so, make a stand against the council and tell them how you feel?

I am sure this must be very tough for you at the moment. If there is anything that I can do let me know.

Take care

Companion

M

Mad Hatter

Founding Member
The latest rumour is that we are been located. We have been taken over since March by a private company but are still linked in with the council, its all very complicated. The private company are no better in respect that they are not very forthcoming with equipment, I use my old PC as the one they gave me was useless, also there is no internet which I need to prepare worksheets and I sure aint gonna work at home for the crap wages. It seems everything is run on a shoestring. I am utterly p****d off with it all and just lack enough confidence to leave and get a new job.

I'm off on holiday tomorrow and thats getting me all worked up to, I really regret getting myself right, I know thats a terrible thing to say but it's how I feel right now sorry.

companion

companion

Founding Member
Hi Madhatter,

Can I ask why you feel regret to getting yourself right?

It really sounds like things are tough at the moment and I know from my own experiences how frustrating it is when capitalism comes above the needs of individual needs. I am assuming that the private firm is out to make money; therefore, keeping their budgets as low as possible?

I do feel your frustration and if you need to talk I am here. What kind of work are you interested in doing?

So where is it that you are going on holiday to? What is it that is making you stress about this?

Try and forget about all this stuff going on whilst your away, you deserve a little break. If I dont see you again on here before you go away, I hope that you have/had a good time and that it helps you relax a little.

Take care of yourself,

Companion :)

M

Mad Hatter

Founding Member
I feel all the hard work I put in to get right was to no avail, I expected things to be different somehow. I'm off camping to Cromer tomorrow then next week I'm off to Llandudno and hey thanks for your concern, I appreciate it

companion

companion

Founding Member
I would think that all your hard work has made a great difference to peoples lives; meaning that all your hard work has been worth more than you probably think.

I hope that you do have a good time whilst you are away.

Take care and have fun on your holiday

Companion