• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

The Serotonin Grand Prix

A

alexjenson

Hi everyone. My name is Alex Jenson, 34.
Once upon a time I was severely ill with paranoid psychosis and depression, which entailed numerous hospital stays.
I managed to turn my life around...I no longer see any professionals or take medication, and I have been in full time work for over 4 years.
I even managed to gain a postgraduate qualification in screen writing in 2004.
I have written a fictional work, which is loosely based on some of my experiences.. 'The Serotonin Grand Prix' is written to hopefully expand the understanding of paranoid illness and to offer hope to anyone who is struggling with a mental health difficulty. You are not alone and you can survive. I will not currently post a link to the e-book, as I am not sure if this is within the forum rules. But I will say with 100% sincerity that my book is a professional piece of work, written to offer hope to others and to point out certain aspects of the mental health system that could do with a little improvement.

Thanks for reading. If the Administrators are cool with this, I will post a link to the E-book ASAP.

AJ

D

Dollit

We don't allow direct links to anything that promotes a member's commercial ventures and that appears to come under that umbrella.

I think that you are preaching to the converted when you say that certain aspects of the mental health service could do with a little improvement - all the British members here would agree on that.

Welcome and hope you get out of this forum as much as you feel you can put in.

A

alexjenson

Fair do's

Fair enough. To be frank, the stuff about improvements is just one aspect of the work, it's not a case of hitting people over the head to prove a point...and what of people who have no direct experience of hospitalisation? While I have not written a memoir, most of the narrative is based on my experience of the mental health system. My primary goal was to write something to contribute to an understanding of paranoid psychosis..something which may or may not be of use to people who struggle with a mental health difficulty. I'm not trying to change the world, it's fruitless to think you can, and neither am I going to complain that you do not permit links to literary works that might be of some benefit to people.
People who have survived the mental health system and rebuilt their lives, in my opinion, have something to offer others who might be living in a cold, hard, lonely climate of despair. The fact that I signed to a commercial publisher was to make it easier to establish the work and to save time on production, as I work full time, and have minimal spare time. The royalties are minimal.
But please don't see this as a complaint. You have your policy and that is fine. But it is far more than a case of 'preaching to the converted'.
Have a nice day.

D

Dollit

Can I just say that whilst you feel that your book makes valid points and contributions to the understanding of mental health problems you also have to understand that this forum is about people helping one another and contributes greatly to the understanding of mental health problems. There are many people here who have not been sectioned or hospitalised but there are plenty of people who have and they share their experiences or lack of them here.

People on this very forum have survived the mental health system and rebuilt their and have much to offer and in a way that a book can't. Reading a book is a solitary way of gaining information. Taking an active part in a forum such as this helps enormously to end that feeling of isolation that we all get from time to time.

Whatever your reasons for publishing your book commercially and however little money you make out of it can't really influence the decision we made about not allowing members to promote commercial ventures on the board and it is a commercial venture.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Introduce Yourself 9