The samaritans

C

Chegs

I really dislike the samaritans service. Every time I've phoned it's just made me feel worse. Has anyone else had this problem?

I

IWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH

When I was in crisis I called the National Suicide Prevention Hotline. This one woman told me I wasn't cleared to use the number and hung up on me! So I don't feel safe calling them if I'm suicidal now. I'm sorry the Samaritans make you feel worse. What do they say to you? :hug:

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i was referred to the cmhc by my gp in may, said to the women interviewing me that i want someone to talk to she said phone samaritons and referred me back to gp

mami5

mami5

Last time I called Samaritans I told them I was suicidal and wanted to o/d. They asked me if I had already taken anything and when I said no I was told I could phone them back after I had so I wouldn't be alone.

I have no intention of phoning them again.

C

Chegs

When I was in crisis I called the National Suicide Prevention Hotline. This one woman told me I wasn't cleared to use the number and hung up on me! So I don't feel safe calling them if I'm suicidal now. I'm sorry the Samaritans make you feel worse. What do they say to you? :hug:
I was suffering from a psychosis and really really exhausted. They just laughed about my situation.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I was suffering from a psychosis and really really exhausted. They just laughed about my situation.
samaritons is designed as a servic for suicidal people not severely psychotic mentally illl people though mental health services now refer people to them

i when i've phoned places close to the edge, they've thought i'm taking the piss

I

IWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH

What a holes. That angers me. I'm sorry they did that to you. :hug: Neither of the crisis lines we use are helpful. I wonder how many other people they treated like that? Probably a lot more than just us. :rolleyes:

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i can't remember whether i've phoned samaritons heard they're good listeners but with a lot of these telephone help lines you want action, always seen samaritons as a last resort

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

i have found them very helpful the only time it isnt ...can over talk stuff and that is not helpful i find. its just a place where i can talk and make space to what is going on. i dont expect them to have the answers. they are a listening ear when there is nothing else.

dreambuggieIII

dreambuggieIII

they put the phone down on me - quite a sharp cut. This site has provided everything I have needed. woe betide the fate of the next wave of ------.

oh bouy

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
samaritons may be struggleing with the number of mentally ill people left without care phoning them, i haven't had anyone round for months, not one phone call for weeks, that as it isn't a medical issue is just ignored

C

Candy19

I personally don't trust any online or anonymous mental health service after what happened with better help, better to just be vulnerable to people you know and trust, everything else is risky...

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I personally don't trust any online or anonymous mental health service after what happened with better help, better to just be vulnerable to people you know and trust, everything else is risky...
but some mentally ill people are extremely isolated don't have people they know and trust

P

Pollypop

I am shocked and saddened to hear that so many of you have had
such poor experiences with the Samaritans.

I have found and heard of such helpful and consideration by them.

They are volunteers and I can’t understand why such awful people
would apply.
Perhaps it’s their ego, feeling of self importance etc.
I feel so great full for the people I know who have really
benefited and been helped.

I feel disgusted about the way some of you have been treated.
I know it’s not the same as speaking, but find your love and support
here.

Wishing you all well and that you find help and support from somewhere.

Pollypop x

soulsearcher

soulsearcher

ive always found the samartians to be helpful,
but sometimes after talking about the issues im facing i feel worse,
but other times talking makes me feel better, it all depends on my mood....

F

Fancyharm

I'm the same soulsearcher.

I think too much talking just keeps it going around in my head.

I like to read self help at the moment and write things down in my own words to keep a paper reference that I can read at anytime.

soulsearcher

soulsearcher

I like to read self help at the moment and write things down in my own words to keep a paper reference that I can read at anytime.
yea i totally appreciate where youre coming from

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member

l

talking about things is all very well but sometimes you want practical solutions, have visions of these therapists turning up at famines and discusssing whether the bowl of rice is half full or half empty

M

mowhead

they are great

from mowhead ive never had any problem with them they answer phone ist time they listen they are not allowed to give advice that's why they don't in nov 2017 when I took a overdose they were calm and told me to dial 999 ive phoned them several times they are there when no one else is and are kind and compassionate