• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

The question of a second opinion

L

Lilac

Well I had the day off today and went to the gp and asked for a second opinion. He asked me to go further with what I want and I didn't really know what to say. He asked me the history of my consultants (ie who I have seen) and then asked whether I would want a private or NHS second opinion. I said I would think about it. Once I had left the surgery I thought really regardless of whether it was a private or NHS doctor they should come up with the same result. I must admit it would be a stretch to fork out for a private doctor.
The gp was quite pleasant today and said that the appointments I am given by the consultant and the meds aren't compulsory. I pointed out that the consultant won't take no for an answer and he said he thinks the hospital will write to me to offer me an appointment in 6 months time.
I hope you all have a devine weekend.

C

colin13502

Well I had the day off today and went to the gp and asked for a second opinion. He asked me to go further with what I want and I didn't really know what to say. He asked me the history of my consultants (ie who I have seen) and then asked whether I would want a private or NHS second opinion. I said I would think about it. Once I had left the surgery I thought really regardless of whether it was a private or NHS doctor they should come up with the same result. I must admit it would be a stretch to fork out for a private doctor.
The gp was quite pleasant today and said that the appointments I am given by the consultant and the meds aren't compulsory. I pointed out that the consultant won't take no for an answer and he said he thinks the hospital will write to me to offer me an appointment in 6 months time.
I hope you all have a devine weekend.
i think a second opinion is great, theres a lot of illnesses that can cause psychosis and some of them can be cured.

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hope you get your second opinion Lilac. Glad the GP has clarified that you don't need to see the consultant or take meds if you don't want to.

L

Lilac

i think a second opinion is great, theres a lot of illnesses that can cause psychosis and some of them can be cured.
Thanks, I am not looking for an alternative treatment but I have never been mentally sick. The strange thing is there doesn't seem to be anything about this I can find out. I know I am not the only one to say I am well and have a mental health diagnosis.

Also having thought about it that doctor yesterday wasn't very nice at all. He was also dishonest about something and then told me he has to send me appointments for health checks so he gets paid. That is not my problem I have already refused them and will never change my mind. He certainly doesn't want people to be well.

I don't think the hospital will let me refuse appointments/drugs although they are meant to and they are not meant to threaten me with being sectioned. Those were the words used by the person telling me - they are not ment to threaten me with a section - so everyone knows sections aren't nice and aren't caring.