• We have just changed our forum software and are still tweaking things. You can log in using your existing user name and password. If you spot any problems please let us know by posting in the Feedback and suggestions section of the forum.

Watch this short film to find out how to use the new forum!

The Power of Proactivity

T

TroubleinParadise

It's quite an empowering thought isn't it? I am a firm believer that proactivity is key to mental health improvement. Like I noted in my first post "Practical guide on How to Manage OCD", I am not building theories out of thin air - this is the testimony and experience of someone who was diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder.

What does it mean to be proactive? To be proactive is a mindset - a mindset that involves a change-orientated and responsible outlook to your situation and your life. It is the concept of 'you happening to life', rather than the victim-mentality of 'life happening to you'. It's a massive help with dealing with mental health problems.

A major part of proactivity, and something I see quite often in those struggling with mental health disorders, is accepting your condition (or whatever you would like to call it) and your limitations. Once you have accepted that 'it is what it is', you have a solid foundation to build on.

From this point you can begin to determine what it is that you can do, what your triggers are, and to discover your faults and your strengths. I found that within myself there were a lot of positive and very enduring traits that were directly correlated to the unique way of thinking I have developed. With that, I learnt to love my positive qualities - rather than focus on my shortcomings.

I also learnt that there are some things that I may never be able to do - or if I will be able to, it would have to be under special circumstances. This is okay. It is okay not to be okay, as long as you're doing something about it.

1. Love who you are - shortcomings and all. If you take responsibility for these shortcomings you will feel better about it as well.
2. You are responsible for you - this statement delves very deep. You are responsible for seeking support, for knowing what is best for you, and for enduring.
3. Life is not easy for anybody - never use your condition as an excuse. Everybody has challenges. There are children who are struggling for their next meals in 3rd world countries. There are countless people who struggle with things - even worse than what you struggle with; and through perseverance they carry on, so can you.
4. Support, support, support - depression can creep in under periods of extreme anxiety. Communicate your issues and seek the help that you may need - it is okay to not be okay.

Last edited:
R

redpoppy

👍👍👍👍. This has given me food for thought , thank you ☺️